sleepydan

PTO clutch trunion

sleepydan

Any advice on how to free and adjust a PTO clutch trunion. Mine is stuck in place. Thanks in advance.

groundhog47

Figuring from your stable it's a 3xx series and trunion is on engage pto rod, try some penetrating oil with wait time and go easy on turn attempt. If that doesn't sorta allow "freedom of turn" try heat and penetrant afterwards with follow up penetrant, let soak awhile and try marginally heavy force rotation. if none of that works, you risk twisting shaft into. The only thing left is try sawing partially though OR holding rod in vise, pt holding wrench on trunion and gie a medium to heavy rotational CW or CCW blow on wrench, sorta like an impact wrench but not as severe (an only after penetrant soak and set). The first above worked on mine.    As for adjust if you have OM it should be listed and didn't readily find a 3xx series OM in manuals section, but sure ones there somewhere. All mine are older and may adj slightly differently.

Edited by groundhog47
add last sentences
  • Like 1

sleepydan

1985 312-8.  Thanks for your very quick reply. Found adjustments in my original manual. Let you know how it goes. Thanks, Dan

• Like 1

R. L. Addison

I also will put the trunion on an anvil or something solid and smack it several times with a heavy hammer as a last resort. this disturbs the roots that grow between the threads (lol). Seriously that usually works for me (after soaking).

Edited by R. L. Addison
forgot something

sleepydan

Thanks, I'll give it a try.   Dan

Racinbob

Patience here. Soak it for several days. Many times I've had parts that just won't budge. I'll give up for that day and go on to something else but every time I walk past the guilty part I hit it again with whatever penetrant you like. Sometimes this has gone on for days before I attack it again. Often I've found that it gives up easily after that. :)

• Like 1