Mill Rat

RM-366 mower deck spindle seals & bearings

Mill Rat

Prepping to replace the spindle belts, I thought in might be a good idea to do a more thorough tear-down of a new-to-me mower deck bought from an estate sale. As I looked through the exploded view in the manual, I thought that swapping out 8 bearings and 2 shaft seals would be pretty straightforward. A few ball or roller bearings, and shaft seals that I could dimension with a mic and caliper, and bonus boogie points, I wouldn't have to worry if they were in millimeters or inches! Nope! They're needle bearings, so while the thrust bearings have races (that look like washers), the shaft bearings use the shafts and the housing as their races. And then there's the seals. Or maybe its more accurate to say there's the places where to seals were. At least with steering knuckles. you get the metal ring that used to hold the seal, and you can mic the shaft to figure out the seal ID.

So, has anyone figured out the dimensions of the bearings and the seals, or better yet, found replacements from a place like Grainger or McMaster-Carr and can share the catalog numbers? Thanks in advance for any help!

groundhog47

The spindle shaft bearings wh pn 1508 cross to Torrington B-1212 3/4"id x 3/4" lngth; the seals wh pn 1303 crosses to SKF  7410 also CR  7410. Don't have my drive shaft bearing anymore to measure.

Credit and thanks to member stevasaurus for a tran bearing cross chart for seals and bearings pinned in transmissions.

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1

Mill Rat

Thanks, groundhog, for those x-refs and for showing me another little nugget hidden here on this site.

slammer302

I've replaced the needle bearings and seals on a few of these old decks really seems to help.

I try to keep these parts on hand now. Just bought sum parts form groundhog but you still buy the b-1212 bearing off eBay or auto part stores.

Mill Rat

slammer302, you seem to have rebuilt a few of these decks before. Do both of the spindle shaft bearings drop out the bottom after you pull the remnants of the seal?

Mill Rat

Got the deck back together. Would've been last weekend, but my local auto parts store had National cross-ref guide that said a Nat'l 312518 would replace an SKF 7410. Not true. Just a skosh larger (~0.005"?) but I boogered them up no matter how gently I pressed 'em. Ordered the real thing from Wheelhorseman1000, and I got 'em started straight and true with just finger pressure. Props to Wheelhorseman1000, Most other joints wanted as much in S&H as they did for the seals, Wheelhorseman1000's charge was very reasonable.