Scotty123

Wiring problem

Scotty123

Hello

So recently I have acquired one of my dream tractors which is a Wheel Horse D200. The tractor has been sitting for about 3 years. I put a new battery in it and it made a noise but didn't turn over. There was a wire hanging with a fuse holder hanging down by the key switch that was broken so I fixed that by getting a new wire with new connections on both ends, after doing these repairs the tractor turned over but not every time you would turn the key. I thought it was a  solinoid  so I got a new one and it is doing less than it was so, then I thought it was the key switch so I got a new one and it is still doing nothing. I checked all of the wires and they appear to be ok I          replaced some of the end connectors to the ones that looked alittle rough but still nothing. There is power going to the solinoid and the switch and the lights work. The worst of it is when it was turning over those cupola times I put alittle gas down the carburetor and it fired up so I think it will run once I get this wiring sorted out. Any help would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Scotty123 Try our manuals section.

Not sure what year you have and if it even makes a difference.

Oh, and :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Edited by KC9KAS
spelling
  • Like 2

Scotty123

Ok thanks @KC9KAS I'll give that a try I appreciate the help 

Sarge

One big problem I've had with my D is it's grounding system . The engine , starter solenoid and dash all must carry a solid ground . It's not a bad idea to make up a ground strap wire set going from the engine's ground wire to the frame , dash and the base of that starter solenoid - should eliminate a lot of issues now and later as well . Also , don't trust the connections at the amp gauge - they have to be clean for the charging system to work properly as well as the connections on the voltage regulator and it's body must be well grounded too .Vibration from the big twin is rough on wiring not to mention the environment the tractor lives in - not a good place for wiring longevity . Add the creativity of previous owners and most D's are a mess at best...mine was horrible and needed completely re-wired .

Sarge

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:       With any electrical problem the first step to resolve it is to clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds. 

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

Every tractor I get it go through it and check all the wiring, connectors and ground connections  before I connect the battery to it.  I Check engine  oil and trans oil before I ever try to start it.

That's just me. I'll get a wire diagram on my computer and color code as close to the original as long can. Then I take one wire at a time by color. Works good for me. this is just a example of my C160's wiring after I changed from Amp gage to Volt meter. This will work with any tractor.

volt meter relay.jpg

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

I noticed on my C125 when it runs the AMP gauge just sits dormant ? Wiring is next, i have 2 weather pack connection kits, not WH approved, but seal out the elements

Tuneup

My 125's ammeter was corroded and was still open after cleaning - tossed and replaced by a nice shelved Stewart Warner Stage III from my Olds. Cut the extra hole (had no hour gauge) and added the shelf's voltmeter. All she needs is a tach and it's off to the drags! You'll have fun with the wiring...go through it all no matter what the Horse or you'll regret it.

DennisThornton

Check your ground wiring and then connections.