Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

got the rj58 out

BairleaFarm

I got the rj kinda out and got some pictures of it. Despite its past as a puller the rear end turns freely and seems to work. I still wonder why the frames have been moded on these? - what the PO had mounted to it. I notice that all the pictures I saw on here only had one handle so im guessing the one on the left is aftermarket?

I guess the pipe on the underside was used for support? does anyone have a picture of how the belt goes?

Thanks

David

2-2-095.jpg

2-2-092.jpg

2-2-093.jpg

BairleaFarm

sorry about the pics ive tried resizing them 3 times

Buzz

sorry about the pics ive tried resizing them 3 times

Looked the right size to me :thumbs: .

BairleaFarm

Looked the right size to me :thumbs: .

they are huge on my screen

jusjeepn

Frames been stretched! Tubing underneath has been added to prevent twisting! Check pulley size on rear to be correct! Are you going to restore this? If so you've got some serious work ahead of you to undo what p/o has modified! The handle on the right side looks like it could have been a crude variable speed lever (like on a JD with varidrive)

Pat (not an RJ expert, just what I see)

BairleaFarm

I will clean it up and paint eventually. My main goal is to get it drivable. I dont think I will restore it anytime soon due to my financial status.

pond195520032003

actually the handle on the left is correct for the rj58 and rj59 :dunno: the handle and half moon is off a 60-61 suburban :whistle: looks like he was up to something :thumbs: anyway i have a good frame at home and i think its for the rj's :omg::whistle: not home right now but will check when i have time :lol:

linen beige

the handle and half moon is off a 60-61 suburban :thumbs:

Nope! I thought that the first time I looked at it too Greg. The lift Quadrant for the '60 and '61 has rounded detents on the BOTTOM or INSIDE face of the cresent and use the hooked end of the push rod to lock into the quadrant without using that pivoting part seen on David's tractor.

I have heard mention of there being a sectored lift of sorts available on the late '59 RJs (mentioned in Mike's book), but not seen any pics of one. Could it be this is what was available? Although I doubt it would have BOTH lift arms on it if that was the case. :whistle:

How about it Evanloock Eric? We need your expertise here.

Guest fireman

I have a odd multi-position mechanism that was on the first RJ I bought. It's mounted to the frame right were it attaches to the gear box. I will take pictures when I bet home but it doesn't look like the 60-61 sector.

BairleaFarm

interesting - thanks guys

pond195520032003

I see it now Jim :whistle::whistle: the handle is the same as the one on the other side aswell :dunno: also looks like the stirrup foot pads from a 62 or 63 and later :thumbs:

Guest fireman

Here are the pictures of the thing that was mounted on my RJ. Looks to be original but not sure. Anyone have an idea what attachment it was for?

MultiSection001.jpg

MultiSection002.jpg

MultiSection003.jpg

BPjunk

Fireman,

That is to a mower deck wheel adjustment on the side of a deck .

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

BairleaFarm

thats interesting too fireman

evanloock

As far as the LL-60 lift lever conversion kit goes, I am of the opinion that it replaced the lift lever and added the quadrant used on the Suburban 400-551 tractors. I base this belief on the price of the kit, which in 1963 was $16.20; quite pricey in 1963. For comparison, the lift lever 3639 cost $4.69 and the quadrant 3626 $1.50. I assume the difference in cost between the these 2 parts and the kit is that part 3639 was just the lever itself, not the rubber grip 1000 (0.40), guide plunger (0.10) upper and lower plunger rods 3617/3615 (0.65/0.50) and spring 3624 (0.10). Add nuts/bolts 2X's 1062/1332/1016 (.20/.20/.20) for a grand total on loose parts of $8.54. Guess the remaining $7.66 was for an instruction sheet and good old markup.

The kit must have required removing the old lift lever, possibly cutting the original retaining notch off, and drilling a hole in the hood support as well as the frame to accept the quadrant.

As far as the item Fireman has; that item looks like the wheel/height adjustment for an old push mower. The item simpleman has on his tractor is homemade.