groundhog47

Transmission swap 3 (4) to 8

groundhog47

After 10 months waiting for divorce settlement and wondering if parts still there am ready to think out a swap from 3 speed to 8 speed. My plan is to use the 3 speed 11-44 gear and brake shat in place of the 8 speed 11-44. May have to cut end short of 8 original brake shaft. My thinkin' is everything brake wise should match up, and only other poss conflict would be hi-lo selector. The brake side case, if I didn't get 'em mixed up is same 3 and 8 ('cept oil fill plug on earlier 3's), and I know input side is quite different. All bearing holes appear same on brake side. Why, might one ask, sometimes the lower speed is needed in really tight spots, I have the parts, and don't have a spare automatic set up or particularly want one .

One plan the 1 1/8" axel limited slip unit, but axels are conundrum there, all mine same length 'cept for a longer (rough) one (NOS floor stored for YEARS in a fallen/collapsed storage area)(haven't tried emery cloth or steel wool turning on lathe yet).  

Has anyone pondered or done this or am I just wasting time?  WH 8 and Lawn Ranger, and possibly Commando 8 swaps are what plans are, and have all the parts except oil/lube now.  Also just discovered some 3's use same brake drum location as 8 so query answered on at least the Commando 800

Edited by groundhog47
New finding on Commando 800

stevasaurus

Hey Gerry...long time no see...welcome back.  :occasion-xmas:

I am going to have to do a little investigating and try to figure out what you are actually trying to do.  You just threw out a lot of things, and any one of them could stop you in your tracks.  Are you saying that you want to use the input side case of an 8 speed transmission and the brake side case of a 3 speed and put a 10 pinion differential in it.  Before I type a bunch of stuff that may not be what you are doing, maybe try to explain it all again.  Sorry.  :think:  Miss ya Mate...glad you are back.  :)

groundhog47

Thanks for eyeballing this , Steve, haven't spent coin on it, but may waste time which could be coin. One is use the inside and outside cases of 8 speed using a 3 speed 11-44 gear shaft (brake shaft unit) and 3 speed brake drum and band. . The part 6941 show on 3 and 8 speed except for earlier models which shows 3901. Only diif I see is oil fill plug. I also would like to use the 10 pinion unit in one of the 8 speeds and see post where that was done. May just be a dream that can't work, will see if 11-44 gear fits in case. If that doesn't work will just have to fab up a brake rod and figure it out as the others swappers have done. Since rebuild is in need I fig'd why not try. An may have a 3 spd cluster gear shaft so won't have to cut the 8 spd, would just need the Mbearing (well I see brake shaft is not cluster shaft now but would be the m-12121 bearing I presume)

Just about decided hi- low lever will have to be accommodated  by some form or other.

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1

pfrederi

I put a 10 pinion in an eight speed no problem except you g=have to have th two piece  11-48 gear.  The splines have to go all the way to the big gear.  The older 1 piece the splines stopped short and it will not work with the 10 pinion

• Like 2

groundhog47

Yes I saw your post on the re-upgrade. So will have to just use the 10 pinion with the 8 speed set up. That means the 3 speed 11-44 may not work with 8 speed diff 8 pinion then either. Noticed the difference in the 11 spline length. I did find this on the 5060 rebuild though and appears same as 11-44 I have and think got with the 10 pinion, don't remember.Untitled.jpg.88c5f4b113345cefeb218f276373485e.jpg

Edited by groundhog47
spelling and picture

groundhog47
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, pfrederi said:

I put a 10 pinion in an eight speed no problem except you g=have to have th two piece  11-48 gear.  The splines have to go all the way to the big gear.  The older 1 piece the splines stopped short and it will not work with the 10 pinion

Ok Paul, Thanks found the service bulletin 252 as supplied by Garry and you are absolutely correct. I'll only be able to swap using an 10 pinion with the 1 piece 11-44 with brake shaft and the 8 pinion has to have 2 piece 11-44. The manual doesn't make it clear enough with just a pic.

Edited by groundhog47
clafify correct 1 piece use, 2 piece use of 11-44 gear per 252 bulletin.