Mikey the Monkey

Rookie mistake on k161 governor

Mikey the Monkey

Upon disassembling my k161 I was curious about governor so I backed the brass nut out and then regretted it and put it back in with some resistance. I did hear a tiny snap while doing so. I unscrewed it again and consulted the manual and put it back in properly with little resistance it seems fine on the outside. I'm just curious about the snap I heard. I tried getting Welsh plug out but that doesn't want to come with out a fight so I'm curious to the experts advice

stevasaurus

I wonder if you didn't break off this flag. 

DSCF8632.JPG

DSCF8636.JPG

DSCF8639.JPG

• Like 2

N3PUY

could have broken the lever off the governor shaft :think:

yeah ... like that :text-yeahthat:

Edited by N3PUY
  • Like 1

rmaynard

See if your shaft rotates more than 1/4 turn in either direction. If it does rotate completely around, you have broken the tab off, if not, you should be okay. 

• Like 2

clueless

Since the gov shaft slides in and out of the brass nut I don't think over tightening the nut would brake the tab. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Chris @clueless, you are correct, but he said he had a problem screwing the brass nut back in on the 1st try.  Maybe the shaft was not set back in the far hole, and the flag got caught on something.  :)  Can't think of anything else that would pop.  Anyway, like Bob said, if he can't turn that shaft more then 1/4 turn, he may be OK.  :think:

Mikey the Monkey

First chance I get out to the shop I'll see if it rotates more than 1/4 turn. If it doesn't you think I'm safe? Can't tell you how appreciative I am of tour help and knowledge. Love reading the posts

• Like 1

Mikey the Monkey

If the pictures uploaded that's how much it will go back and forth before it stops. There is a tiny bit of resistance as I move it with my finger. Any thoughts? Am I OK?

KIMG0094.jpg

KIMG0095.jpg

stevasaurus

I think you need to take the arm off the shaft and then see how far it turns.  That linkage will stop the arm from rotating and you can't tell if the flag is broken or not.  :)

Mikey the Monkey

It is off. Just hard to tell. Sincerely, mikeasaurus

Sorry. The linkage is off, and it stops before the arm hits anytging

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You should be OK then.   :handgestures-thumbupright:  You will know when you start it up for sure.