Busman

Busman

Hi Guys,

I have been watching for another project and found a 655 near me.  Ad says the motor has a stripped head bolt and the trans is "locked in  gear".  He claims all the sheet metal is intact but in the picture it is missing the belt guard and gas tank.  I guess my questions are is this worth grabbing and if so, what would you pay all things considered?  My wife is not pleased about the idea of another tractor but I am looking forward to having a tractor to do light yard work and play around on.  if the motor is shot and not savable I was planning to grab a 6.5 hp predator from HF.

Untitled.jpg

slammer302

$30-$50 

• Like 3

ericj

:text-yeahthat:

eric j

• Like 1

Amcwheel85

Yea $20-$40 if you really want it 

• Like 3

Uncle Buck
40 minutes ago, Amcwheel85 said:

Yea $20-$40 if you really want it 

this

SPINJIM

Yep, $20 to $40.   But, is the steering linkage locked up?  Do the tires hold air?  Is any of it rusted through the sheet metal.   If you figure the cost to get it running, you might be better off paying a little more, and finding one in better condition.   The short frames are nice, but there is always another WH around the corner.   I've had to convince myself that it's better to just walk away from some projects.   Good luck, and let us know the outcome.

Jim

• Like 3

520hC-120

I don't find it worth the work, but if you are hooked on it it is worth $20-$50.

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

I paid $60 for an 855 in very similar cosmetic shape and same tranny issue, but the 8hp kohler was in good shape, just needed points and a condenser to get it running. Just my :twocents-02cents: on the issue. Those short frame square hood tractors are great machines and will probably leave you wanting more of them! lol

• Like 2

Busman

Thanks for all of your replys. I figured it was worth about $50 for what it is. Is there anything wrong with these old models. I have an 85 314-a so this would really be more just a project for messing around with it. I figure for that price I could put a $120 motor in it, some tubes and a new belt and be able to putz around the yard. I'm a vw guy and like having s project around just don't have space or money for another full size vehicle right now. 

AMC RULES

Overwhelm him with your :wh: enthusiasm...

& the seller should give you that tractor.  :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Like 4

oliver2-44

Check if the rubber boot at the bottom of the transmission shifter is intact. It it's missing and the tractor has been sitting outdoors fever years the transmission is probable full of water and rusted gears.  

ericj

If you get it cheap enough you can always sell it to somebody on here or haul it for scrap later, I warn you to be careful about hauling it for scrap to soon though, I bought things and thought they were only good for parts and scrap and only to find out later as I got to know more realize it was just ready for restoration.    :hide:

eric j

• Like 1

Uncle Buck
41 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Check if the rubber boot at the bottom of the transmission shifter is intact. It it's missing and the tractor has been sitting outdoors fever years the transmission is probable full of water and rusted gears.  

Yes and no. I bought a 633 years ago with shot shifter boot and about half full of water. When I split the Uni-Drive case after I had drained it of all the water I found a bit of wire wheel cleanup on a few gears and a new set of seals, a gasket, and shift boot and I was good to go. The 633 was an even coat of rust and green mold or whatever when I started with it so you cannot always assume that a shot shift boot means the gears are toast.

Besides, it isn't like you can't find a replacement transmission cheap and easy enough if you look hard enough.

• Like 1

Uncle Buck
24 minutes ago, ericj said:

If you get it cheap enough you can always sell it to somebody on here or haul it for scrap later, I warn you to be careful about hauling it for scrap to soon though, I bought things and thought they were only good for parts and scrap and only to find out later as I got to know more realize it was just ready for restoration.    :hide:

eric j

Lotta truth here! Looks and a heavy coat of rust can be very deceiving! I paid $75 for the privilege of dragging home an old Suburban with an altered hood, no engine, four tires that must be replaces and broken steering. The thing is fairly heavily rusted but I see a good horse hiding under all that rust with no tires! Honestly, in one sense seeing the good under a lot of rust, missing parts and damage is not something you learn overnight, generally, unless you have a mentor or something that ability is something that you learn through trial and error buying stuff that is too far gone, and stuff that can be saved, and learning the difference between the two. Many guys with less mechanical aptitude will never have the skills to be able to accurately assess the difference between the two and are in fact wiser passing on stuff too far gone for their skills or abilities.

I think for the most part most all of the fairly old WH machines and attachments most of that stuff is all made so heavy that rarely will you find a machine that is beyond saving, and worth saving. That said a lot of that goes back to how good you are at finding parts cheap enough and how skilled you are in bringing a machine in really poor shape back to life. It is a combination of sniffing out good part cheap enough and your skills, access to a well equipped shop for some things, decent assortment of tools, and most important of all mechanical aptitude and skills. Those are the decisive factors one should consider when considering restoration of what looks like a rusty hulk. 

• Like 1

ericj
12 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Lotta truth here! Looks and a heavy coat of rust can be very deceiving! I paid $75 for the privilege of dragging home an old Suburban with an altered hood, no engine, four tires that must be replaces and broken steering. The thing is fairly heavily rusted but I see a good horse hiding under all that rust with no tires! Honestly, in one sense seeing the good under a lot of rust, missing parts and damage is not something you learn overnight, generally, unless you have a mentor or something that ability is something that you learn through trial and error buying stuff that is too far gone, and stuff that can be saved, and learning the difference between the two. Many guys with less mechanical aptitude will never have the skills to be able to accurately assess the difference between the two and are in fact wiser passing on stuff too far gone for their skills or abilities.

I think for the most part most all of the fairly old WH machines and attachments most of that stuff is all made so heavy that rarely will you find a machine that is beyond saving, and worth saving. That said a lot of that goes back to how good you are at finding parts cheap enough and how skilled you are in bringing a machine in really poor shape back to life. It is a combination of sniffing out good part cheap enough and your skills, access to a well equipped shop for some things, decent assortment of tools, and most important of all mechanical aptitude and skills. Those are the decisive factors one should consider when considering restoration of what looks like a rusty hulk. 

not to go off topic here, but I just parted a 97 520-H. I've owned it for several years, not sure how many years anymore but I got it cheap and it ran. It was real rusty, looked like it sat in a salt mine before I bought it. I pulled the motor off and stuck it on another tractor and put the rest to bed for awhile. I'm in the process of building a loader tractor, so I pulled the carcass out and stripped it down for the gear reduction steering. I suppose if somebody had been real motivated they could have put it back together. the whole reason I've been sitting on it was for this very reason, so much for the old saying if you haven't used it in a year get rid of it :ROTF: lol.

years ago I totaled a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger 340, I was considering cutting the car in half and clipping the another back half on it, so I started buying parts cars. I bought a shell that had at one time had been my cousins 70 DART 340 and figured it was junk shell with just a few good parts left on it. I threw a chain threw the windshield and out through the wiper motor area, windshield had already been removed and drug it around with the Case 800 farm tractor of dad's. after getting into cars more I realized it was just ready for restoration. Always regretted doing that. That's why I throw out these words of caution.

i have also baught wheel horse tractors and left them sit thinking they were parts only and later brought them back to life. i'll get off my :angry-soapbox: now

eric j 

• Like 1

Busman

a lot of good points raised. I like to think That I have the skills, tools and passion, just not always the time. I pulled my Westfalia out of a field for $300 and Hagerty thinks it's worth a lot more now. I know I can do the work and make it nice again just not sure if its worth putting 2 or 300 into it between tubes and a motor and all the other little things. I am hoping to call him and he says just take it. 

SylvanLakeWH

$20.

:twocents-02cents:

slim67
8 hours ago, Busman said:

Hi Guys,

I have been watching for another project and found a 655 near me.  Ad says the motor has a stripped head bolt and the trans is "locked in  gear".  He claims all the sheet metal is intact but in the picture it is missing the belt guard and gas tank.  I guess my questions are is this worth grabbing and if so, what would you pay all things considered?  My wife is not pleased about the idea of another tractor but I am looking forward to having a tractor to do light yard work and play around on.  if the motor is shot and not savable I was planning to grab a 6.5 hp predator from HF.

Untitled.jpg

she'll get over it

953 nut
2 hours ago, Busman said:

just not sure if its worth putting 2 or 300 into it

I'm sure! It isn't worth your time, too many unknowns and probably all of them will cost additional money. I know that :wh: are not plentiful in the Chattanooga area, but I suggest you keep looking.

• Like 2