TravelinJavelin

953 shifter almost pulled out of tranny ....help!

TravelinJavelin

while taking the 953 for a test spin went to shift to 3rd gear got bound up then got it out and nothing now did something let go inside?

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Reminds me back in the day when i was Racing my 71SS camaro against a AMX Javelin, went for 3rd and was holding the Super Shifter 2 in my hand, But i won ;-) 

953 nut

The shift lever is held in place by a "Dog point" screw. the shift lever has a round doughnut attached where it goes into the transmission, it has a hole drilled into it.  Use a screwdriver to align the two shift forks to neutral, back out the dog point to allow the shifter to be inserted with the dogpoint screw aligned to the hole. Tighten the dogpoint into the hole and check the shifter to see that it will move. When it is adjusted to be snug but easy to shift then tighten the lock nut on the dogpoint.

5954d79817ab4_WheelHorseshifterforks.jpg.d8693f6648cd75ac6ff2bda28b9eda16.jpg

• Like 7

TravelinJavelin

hey there nut thank you ............now this dog point screw would it be referred  as this in the manual did manage to get it back in neutral I think I can get it to roll freely but now just will not go into gear at all .......sounds like I ought to just pull the tranny and see what's going on I guess thanks again

stevasaurus

I'd pull the shifter out, put the horse rearend on blocks and use a large screwdriver to shift those forks to verify nothing works first.  The picture above show the trans in the neutral position.  :)

• Like 4

953 nut
9 hours ago, TravelinJavelin said:

sounds like I ought to just pull the tranny

Like @stevasaurus said, jack it up and evaluate what is and isn't working prior to doing anything rash. If you do need to pull it apart, take the time to rear through Steve's post in the tutorial section.

• Like 3

TravelinJavelin

yeah I was going through some archives here on these trans ..... is there any vendors out there that can still get gears? if something is messed up I think with a little coaching I could rebuild it as long as I could get parts and pics

• Like 1

953 nut
1 minute ago, TravelinJavelin said:

any vendors out there that can still get gears?

If you download the Owner Manuals for other :wh: tractors with a three speed transmission you will find that the internals (with the exception of the bull gear and axles) have the same part numbers as the 953. Steve's thread on the three speeds has a ton of detailed photos and commentary.

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

I do have manuals but I was just trying to find steve's turtorial section

stevasaurus

Look in the "Reference Section" on the main page and then "Transmissions".  Let us know what you are thinking.  :)

• Like 1

953 nut

These should keep you entertained tonight!

• Like 3

TravelinJavelin

well I think when I get a minute or too Saturday i'll dig into her but I really love this tractor I reset the backrest on it and tightened up the ross steering a while back and at least got it so it wouldn't grind to put in gear and the hydro works good love the feel of it compared to the C-series so i'm not discouraged in any way other than not having lots of money to throw at it all at once but we'll get there my main goal is to find a plow for winter duty and eventually pull a moldboard plow and disc harrow and cultivator

• Like 1

stevasaurus

TJ, we need to do a little evaluation on the trans before you go ahead and open it.  The difference between your trans and other 3 speed trannys is yours is called a "heavy duty" tranny.  Yours uses a bevel gear differential instead of the spider gears.  This will make it harder to find parts, especially if those bevel gears are bad. 

With your horse rear end on blocks...horse not running and transmission in neutral.  Turn one of the tires in one direction 1st and then in the other direction...the other tire should be turning in the opposite direction.  Repeat this process with the other tire...same thing should happen.  Now have someone hold one of the tires and try to turn the other one...you should be able to turn the tire.  Repeat this on the other side.  If all this works and it was smooth with no jerkiness or weird noises...your differential is OK.  That is good.  :)

Now, remove the belt guard and drive belt...choose a gear.  Turn the input shaft (by hand) counter-clockwise.  Both tires should be turning in the same direction.  Try this in all gears...obviously when in reverse, the tires should spin backwards.  Let us know what you find out.

We have a few guys that have tranny parts for sale...not sure if they would have parts for the #5045 trans you have.  @racinfool40  @A-Z Tractor

Richard @953 nut  Would a #5025 spider gear differential transmission bolt right into a 953??  Are the mounting bolt holes the same??  I do not know the answer to that.  I do know that the #5025 is 1" axles and the #5045 has 1 1/8" axles.  :)

• Like 3

953 nut
53 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Richard @953 nut  Would a #5025 spider gear differential transmission bolt right into a 953??  Are the mounting bolt holes the same??  I do not know the answer to that.  I do know that the #5025 is 1" axles and the #5045 has 1 1/8" axles.

We never did get to that point on the one Dells was working on, but as I recall it we figured out that any differential/bull gear set up with 1 1/8" axles would accept the 953 axles and fit. Not having actually done this I can't say for sure, but I will attempt it and document it when I get to the transmission of the early model 953 that Ed sold me. That should take place this winter.

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

yeah after I get back from the shipper i'm going to dig in this thank you very steve for the info.........also I had read where there was a diff mod? I think where you took your axles ground down an end and cut a slot in for C clip and do away with the roll pin thing? In your guy's opinion is this a good thing or whats the perspective on that?

953 nut
1 hour ago, TravelinJavelin said:

think where you took your axles ground down an end and cut a slot in for C clip and do away with the roll pin thing? In your guy's opinion is this a good thing or whats the perspective on that?

Image result for if it ain't broke don't fix it

• Like 4

TravelinJavelin

ok got it LOL

• Like 3

TravelinJavelin

ok well finally got some time to take it out this morning between the honey do's and work but anyways it has begun so anyways after pulling it out my shifter I noticed that it seemed in neutral position turned the wheels back and fourth and go in reverse direction of each way you spin couldn't feel any binding to speak of but will have to split the case anyways the gasket is junk and is leaking like siev but form what I could see in the hole everything looked clean no shaving the one thing that kinda concerned me was that the shifter looked like some one had broke it off and re welded it but here's some pics to start I apologize for the crap pics

GEDV0001.JPG

GEDV0002.JPG

GEDV0003.JPG

GEDV0005.JPG

GEDV0006.JPG

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It is hard to tell in those last 2 pictures, but that does not look like neutral.  :)

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

ok Steve I think I found my problem why everything let go but anyway need you to verify? so anyways I stick my shifter back on and notice the dog set screw is not starting at where I think the shifter should set in to adjust so the threads in the very begining almost start then slides out or looses its bite now i'm wondering if this where I should set the shifter at to tighten up? or the little nub on the screw possible to file down a whisker to get the threads started or tap it out and get a bigger screw?

GEDV0001 (1).JPG

GEDV0002 (1).JPG

pfrederi

The small hole in the "Donut" of the shifter needs to align with the threaded hole in the tranny case.  Yours looks like it is sitting to high.  The top of the donut is usually a bit below the top of the tranny case.  Run the set screw in as tight as you can by hand (no wrench)  if it is seated correctly you will not be able to pull the shifter up nor push it down.  Then back it out bit 1/4 to 1/2 turn before you tighten the lock nut

• Like 3

TravelinJavelin

the only thing that I see to line up is where the donut has a like a roll pin and had wondered about it but we'll look a again see what we come up with...thank for your help

pfrederi

The roll pin should be about flush with the back of the donut but recessed about 1/8th inch from the front side.  that is the hole the set screw has to get into.  From your picture it looks like your set screw would wind up underneath the donut.  On all the stick shifts I looked at the top of the donut is a bit below the top of the case.

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

• Like 3

TravelinJavelin

well I guess I need to put pic of mine then not even close to being that smooth and the roll pin is slightly longer too

pfrederi

Some years WH welded the donut to the shift lever.  Your pic isn't clear enough for me to see if that is the case  Welded on the left

IMG_0143 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0142 - Copy.JPG

• Like 3