Uncle Buck

Tire style seemingly ignored?

Uncle Buck

I rarely see anyone use the old 1950's style turf tires. These are the tires that have round knots all over their surface and do not have a blocked shoulder design to the tire but rather rounded shoulders.

I love AGs and tri ribs as much as anyone else and plan to set at least some of my machines up but I do like the old time traditional look of what I assume is a 1950's style turf tire like would have been found on an RJ or a Suburban. From what I see on the site rarely do I see member machines (early ones of course) sporting this style of tire. Usually I see either late model design turf tires, or the old what I call snow tires, or AG's.

Seems to be no love for this style of tire to me. Am I wrong in my thinking on this? Just curious.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2

ol550

They require a few extra clams $$$

• Like 3

Uncle Buck
4 minutes ago, ol550 said:

They require a few extra clams $$$

Oh, then I guess I lucked out! A fellow WH aficionado that has a fairly extensive collection of earlier machines always puts AG's on every tractor that he restores. I have bought parts and machines from him in the past and one of those times I noticed a set of those tires sitting in his rack of tires that he replaced on one of his older machines. Fortunately he had no qualms about selling the set to me really cheap so I ended up using them on my 633 when I restored it. I had no idea they were costlier to buy. I like them, but I do not know if I would pay more for them new than a set of AG's. I doubt I would though I do like them.

I do not even know who sells that style anymore.  

Chris G

I actually like those tires as well. But yes they can be a bit pricey compared to some ags.

ohiofarmer

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/214484000973541068

Dad has an original [first year production] Cub cadet that came with tires like these. The W pattern tread on the top left

Edited by ohiofarmer

pacer

I also like that tread design, it was very popular in times past (lot of aircraft used it)----

So .....aside from commenting that they were expensive, it wasnt mentioned by anyone -- WHERE can they be had?

Chris G

This is the tread style I am thinking of And bridgestone sells them new. If I was thinking the wrong tire style I stand corrected. 

$_1.JPG

• Like 1

Uncle Buck
38 minutes ago, Chris G said:

This is the tread style I am thinking of And bridgestone sells them new. If I was thinking the wrong tire style I stand corrected. 

$_1.JPG

The basic style is correct except the original WH tires I have each one of the raised knobs on mine are a basic oval shape. The ones I have look like I below. VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

REAR%20TIRES.jpg

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

Chris G

Ya I guess I was wrong the ones in got are more oval shaped as well.

• Like 1

Uncle Buck
1 hour ago, Chris G said:

Ya I guess I was wrong the ones in got are more oval shaped as well.

I was a little surprised that I could not find a picture on this site of even one tractor with that kind of tire. I looked online as well and never found an example there either!

Basically though the example you showed and the tires I have look much the same. They remind me of the tires found on the B-17 airplanes of WWII.

Page 1.jpg

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:31 PM, ohiofarmer said:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/214484000973541068

Dad has an original [first year production] Cub cadet that came with tires like these. The W pattern tread on the top left

ohiofarmer  Thanks for the post. I like that site. Interesting tractors there.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:57 AM, Uncle Buck said:

I was a little surprised that I could not find a picture on this site of even one tractor with that kind of tire. I looked online as well and never found an example there either!

Basically though the example you showed and the tires I have look much the same. They remind me of the tires found on the B-17 airplanes of WWII.

Page 1.jpg

Uncle Buck I used to work on those hubs. Also the blades in Ct.

• Like 2

dells68

A guy had 3 tires and rims along with another rim (one tire was blown out) at the Big Show for $40.  Would have been a good deal for someone looking for them.  He had a suburban with a set on it - looked pretty slick!  He also said he sand blasted all of his tires and soaked them with Armor All.  Never heard of that,  it they looked good.

IMG_4964.JPG

• Like 2

Uncle Buck
2 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

ohiofarmer  Thanks for the post. I like that site. Interesting tractors there.

Uncle Buck I used to work on those hubs. Also the blades in Ct.

That being the case you ain't no kid! Actually the picture was my uncles 8th Air Force B-17 crew. Uncle was the co-pilot, second from the right standing back row. Flew a lot of tough missions, in particular  the second Schweinfurt mission known as Black Thursday where the losses were so heavy. He was one of the lucky ones and survived his 30 missions.

1 minute ago, dells68 said:

A guy had 3 tires and rims along with another rim (one tire was blown out) at the Big Show for $40.  Would have been a good deal for someone looking for them.  He had a suburban with a set on it - looked pretty slick!  He also said he sand blasted all of his tires and soaked them with Armor All.  Never heard of that,  it they looked good.

IMG_4964.JPG

I think those look right at home on nut roasters. When mine is finished I plan to put my set on it.

• Like 2