13HemiRam

New horse in the barn!

Achto

Looks great!! :handgestures-thumbupright:   Although I'm with you, the Cyclops eye could go.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

Uncle Buck
6 minutes ago, Achto said:

Looks great!! :handgestures-thumbupright:   Although I'm with you, the Cyclops eye could go.

What he said! LOL  

• Like 2

Racinbob

Nice tractor. The first black hood and my favorite with the black hood mated to an older style dash. :)

• Like 3

ACman
31 minutes ago, Achto said:

You took the words right out of my mouth :lol: !

I really like the looks of the metal pans compared to the plastic ones .

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Were you checking the oil before every use of your KT17? 

Describe what you were doing when it "popped".  :text-thankyoublue:

• Like 1

cschannuth

The Briggs will last forever as long as you do regular maintenance on it. My dad's 78 is all original and has never had anything done to it. Starts right up and it's a real powerhouse. Even before I swapped out the rubber mounts for solid ones. 

He too swapped out the seat pan and I really like the looks of it. 

image.jpeg.375ee78486185ea3568d0a58f2de9676.jpeg

• Like 6

ed lincoln

My c161 has the big plastic fender pan. The 161's look much better with the streamline metal pan.

• Like 2

13HemiRam
5 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Were you checking the oil before every use of your KT17? 

Describe what you were doing when it "popped".  :text-thankyoublue:

For the most part I check it almost every time I mowed. Ill be honest I may have skipped it a time or two but I checked it the day it decided to give up. As for what I was doing when it "popped", right after checking the oil I turned the key to start it while it was still sitting in the garage and bam it started knocking. I had mowed the yard the week before and it ran great. It actually still runs it just knocks pretty good. Obviously I shut it down and haven't ran it since

• Like 1

jay bee

Great looking tractor!!!  I also swapped mine to the metal pan.  I like the look much better.  And, I too think the one big "eye" should find a new home...Nice score.  :greetings-clappingyellow::greetings-clappingyellow::greetings-clappingyellow:

Jim

• Like 1

13HemiRam

Does anyone know what air filter and oil this engine uses? Also what's the engine code for the Briggs? (Such as kohlers k241, k301, kt17 etc.) I haven't found much on it at all

Edit: found the info I was looking for! 

Edited by 13HemiRam

Retired Wrencher

13HemiRam  nice looking worker. That should do a lot of work for you. Enjoy it.

• Like 1

bds1984

Decoding the Model and Code really aren't too difficult.   https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/briggs-stratton-model-locator.aspx

As far as oil, I'd run the same that you run in your Kohlers.  The air filters can vary but I've always used round ones similar to what is on my K-series although the height of them may vary.  

13HemiRam

Can I drive this one on a hillside? As in, is the briggs splash lubed like the series I kt17 or is it pressure lubed like the series II? 

cschannuth

Since there is no oil filter I always assumed it was splash lubed. I can tell you though that our property was very hilly and we never had an issue. We had to sit way out on the fender to keep from turning over sideways in a couple places. 

• Like 2