jeff lary

Loose / Sloppy Tie Rod End Connection on 3/12/8

jeff lary

Hello all

Yesterday I had to do some work on the tractor. I had been having trouble with the fuel pump earlier this summer so I ordered a new one. Yesterday I decided to install it and did. To do this I took the hood off so I could get better access to the pump. When that was done I took some time to grease everything and generally just look things over. I noticed the tie rod end where it connects to the " ? control arm ?" the connects is pretty sloppy. You can move the connection point maybe 1/8" where the tie rod end bolt passes through this arm . It makes me wonder is at one time there was a Bushing of some sort between the rod end and this arm connection. What are your thoughts ? in this picture I am pointing to the " loose connection with a blue pen" Thanks for your advice / experience, Jeff

DSCF0577.JPG

Achto
32 minutes ago, jeff lary said:

You can move the connection point maybe 1/8" where the tie rod end bolt passes through this arm .

Looks to me like the nut is loose allowing the bolt to move & it may have slopped  the hole out a little. If you can not fix this by tightening the nut, then remove the nut, install a washer to take up a little space, then tighten the nut. The bolt should not move at all. 

• Like 2

nylyon

No bushing that I am aware of.  Remove the tie rod to see if the hole is elongated, if not just tighten it up should fix it.  I just replace the tie rods on my 310-8 with @wheelhorseman's and they fit and work perfectly if you need to replace the end.

• Like 1

jeff lary

Ok good enough I will try that next time I am in the vicinity. Thanks

Up-date just to let you know it was loose I got about 1 turn on each nut. Thanks, Jeff

Edited by jeff lary
  • Like 2