Sign in to follow this  
Rideawaysenior

D250 Update

Rideawaysenior

Well, I have some more news regarding my D250 project. I tried to take some pictures and post them here but no luck. You can go to my website www.tractorjack.net and look under current projects and see some of my D250 there. We are also working on a B80 and the before pictures are posted in the pictures section. Feel free to have a look and let me know what you think.

The D250 is quite the enigma at this point. I was finally able to remove the head today and found the piston heads in pretty good shape. There was no marring on the sleeve walls which is a good sign, and the four pistons were proportiond at proper heights leading my to believe that the engine did not throw a rod. The number three piston had some rust on the sleeve wall but I am attributing that to condensation from sitting. Everything else looks good. The bottom of the head had the usual carbon buildup but nothing really major.

Ok so here is the funny part. The repair and service manual states that you can practically rebuild this engine without removing it from the tractor. I say B.S. You probably can but I have to say that it really is the ergonomics are not friendly. I am at this point just taking my time, and when disassembled the block will go on the stand where the rebuild will be much easier.

On another note, I found through my travels at work a lawn and garden equipment shop that will work on Sundstrand and Eaton hydro pumps. The average rebuild cost estimated by the owner is between $300.00 and $400.00. This I have found was about the best price out there. Most shops that will even think about working on them were all well over the $600.00 range. The shops name is, Auburn Chainsaw and Mower sales. They are located in Auburn NY. The owner there is JC Cummings. Their number is, 315-252-0664. He is a Cub Cadet dealer currently but appreciates the older machines especially Wheel Horse. I have had him rebuild two of my pumps already and he does a fantastic job. His shop has been in business since 1973.

T-Mo

Jack,

I found visited your web site - nice site. I enjoyed your commentary on the D-250 rebuild. I hope you that beast running. They are nice tractors.

Sparky

So Jack, are you tryin to be ready with the D-250 for this years show? Good luck if you are.

Mike.........

Rideawaysenior

I would love to be able to bring it along. I'm not sure what state it will be in by then. I am still going to rebuild the motor, it seems the smartest route being I have most of the work done already by tearing it apart. Depending on what it's going to cost me will determine if I can get it done in enough time for the show. I'd love to have it done by then though. I have more drive and excitement about it now that I know what the problem was.