Huntemcd

Ideas for custom attachments.

Huntemcd

I'm looking for ideas for attachments to make. I can weld good and fab up stuff. Any ideas would b appreciated.  

daveoman1966

For 30+ years, I've been looking for a side-mounted 'brush-hog' style mower to mow the STEEP ditch at the roadside of my house.  Ideally, the attachment would have an extension arm that could reach out 10 to 12 foot to reach the ditch (bank) from the road instead of from my yard.  I have a C-160 auto for power and a few single-blade 18 or 20" mower decks to use.  I'd want to power the 20" deck from the engine PTO using (maybe) a driveshaft with U-joints, but have never committed enough gray matter to the project. 30 years on, the ditch still looks terrible and I am physically unable to use a weed-eater or the like.  Any Ideas>>>>>   

• Like 3

Huntemcd
3 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

For 30+ years, I've been looking for a side-mounted 'brush-hog' style mower to mow the STEEP ditch at the roadside of my house.  Ideally, the attachment would have an extension arm that could reach out 10 to 12 foot to reach the ditch (bank) from the road instead of from my yard.  I have a C-160 auto for power and a few single-blade 18 or 20" mower decks to use.  I'd want to power the 20" deck from the engine PTO using (maybe) a driveshaft with U-joints, but have never committed enough gray matter to the project. 30 years on, the ditch still looks terrible and I am physically unable to use a weed-eater or the like.  Any Ideas>>>>>   

Wow no I don't. That sounds like a huge project. 

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Power up a hand crank ice cream freezer!  It would be very cool to hear a Kohler putting along making some home made ice cream at shows and events.....

Mom once told me that they used to jack up a Model t Ford and crank it with the spoked wheel.

• Like 7

SylvanLakeWH

You may want to check out this thread - lots of very good ideas...

• Like 1

953 nut

@daveoman1966, have you considered getting an electric deck from a 36 volt "E Series :wh:? You could hang the three batteries on one side as ballast and the mower on a boom from the other side.     :confusion-confused:          Might work.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

Power up a hand crank ice cream freezer!  It would be very cool to hear a Kohler putting along making some home made ice cream at shows and events.....

Mom once told me that they used to jack up a Model t Ford and crank it with the spoked wheel.

I used my 1930 Dodge for this many times.  And I found that with the correct amount of weight placed on top of the freezer (usually two bricks), when the ice cream stiffened , the torque increased and the handle automatically disengaged from the spokes.

There is an existing thread on this subject.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

Huntemcd

That's pretty neat. That would be a good thing to do once I get the suburban done. 

Achto
10 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

I'd want to power the 20" deck from the engine PTO using (maybe) a driveshaft with U-joints

I like @953 nut's idea or maybe run a hydraulic motor on for the blade. You could add a pump and reservoir to the tractor and also add rams to the extension arm to position the deck. Same principle as the ditch mowers used by the hwy dept.

59525e6fbc76c_ditchmower2.jpg.d658a0aeebc99e255aac6b72eb14213b.jpg

But then again, I also found a pic of a fellow :wh: man. Not sure how he's powering the blade, but the lift mechanism looks pretty simple.

59525e83e61b6_ditchmower.png.b46de8b617952c7bb6979b8875e31ae5.png

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4

Huntemcd
6 minutes ago, Achto said:

I like @953 nut's idea or maybe run a hydraulic motor on for the blade. You could add a pump and reservoir to the tractor and also add rams to the extension arm to position the deck. Same principle as the ditch mowers used by the hwy dept.

59525e6fbc76c_ditchmower2.jpg.d658a0aeebc99e255aac6b72eb14213b.jpg

But then again, I also found a pic of a fellow :wh: man. Not sure how he's powering the blade, but the lift mechanism looks pretty simple.

That's pretty cool

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
4 minutes ago, Achto said:

I remember the thread. I believe a Lawn Boy mower that had a two-stroke engine was used. That way the engine wasn't starved for oil. The tractor also had a counter-weight for the boom. The rough part was doing the highway side with all the traffic whizzing by.

• Like 5

daveoman1966
2 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

I remember the thread. I believe a Lawn Boy mower that had a two-stroke engine was used. That way the engine wasn't starved for oil. The tractor also had a counter-weight for the boom. The rough part was doing the highway side with all the traffic whizzing by.

This is EXACTLY what I want to do / /make/buy.   It appears to be on a 520-H in the pic and I'm sure it'd be adaptable to my C-160.  

Who is the owner...where...how do I find / contact him....?  

boom mower.png

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, daveoman1966 said:

Who is the owner...where...how do I find / contact him....?  

Here is a link to the post by @The toymaker. The picture quality is much better in the post, you can see that he used a push mower.

• Like 1

Rob R

How about a Harbor Freight Gen Set for Portable power and outages......

Gt 14 Gen Set (1).JPG

Gt 14 Gen Set (2).JPG

Gt 14 Gen Set (3).JPG

Gt 14 Gen Set (4).JPG

Gt 14 Gen Set (5).JPG

Gt 14 Gen Set (6).JPG

Gt 14 Gen Set (7).JPG

Gt 14 Gen Set (8).JPG

Gt 14 Gen Set (9).JPG

Wheel Horse Gen Set (1).JPG

Wheel Horse Gen Set (2).JPG

Wheel Horse Gen Set (3).JPG

• Like 9

19richie66

I would like to see more of this tractor:text-yeahthat:

Sarge

Is that the 10kw head ? I've been considering getting one just to have it for outages and occasionally running my welder when doing portable jobs - just been hesitant due to it's price range and reliability being unknown ..? Northern Tool and others sell a similar one for around $900 , rated at like 40a @220v , which is what I need to run the tig/stick Miller and other tools .

That ditch mower is a cool idea - using a 2 stroke solves a lot of issues for those kind of slopes for sure . Friend of mine mows a cemetary next to a highway near me , slopes are almost 1:1 and his favorite tool is an old aluminum Eclipse push mower - does a great job .

Sarge

jebeli

pivotlink.jpg

I would like to see a capstan winch that runs off the pto.  It could mount in front or in the back. I would use this for dragging logs, loading trailers and getting unstuck from the mud.

• Like 3

wallfish
14 minutes ago, jebeli said:

I would like to see a capstan winch that runs off the pto.  It could mount in front or in the back. I would use this for dragging logs, loading trailers and getting unstuck from the mud.

Maybe adapt a chainsaw winch to the front and run it off a belt.

capstan.jpg.b1381b078747b6df6a2511cad31e5f09.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Found this thread whilst poking about lookin for something else.  

Thought maybe it needed to popped up to the forefront. 

Any new ideas?

gwest_ca

Good illustration of a drive belt under tension with a load. Demonstrates why idler pulleys are always on the slack side of a belt.

Good illustration of belt under load.jpg

• Like 2

DennisThornton
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Found this thread whilst poking about lookin for something else.  

Thought maybe it needed to popped up to the forefront. 

Any new ideas?

I've always wanted a BIG air compressor!  I could drive one off my NH PTO but how about a WH front mounted like the generator?  16-18 HP should crank out some CFMs.  Just mount a purchased compressor or what about converting an engine to a compressor.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I've always wanted a BIG air compressor!  I could drive one off my NH PTO but how about a WH front mounted like the generator?  16-18 HP should crank out some CFMs.  Just mount a purchased compressor or what about converting an engine to a compressor.

Tractor that is basically a mobile air compressor is a wonderful idea!

That would be super handy to someone like me because both of my 220 compressors are kind of a distance from the upper yard. 

I guess I'm going to have to think this one over a little. 

DennisThornton
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Tractor that is basically a mobile air compressor is a wonderful idea!

That would be super handy to someone like me because both of my 220 compressors are kind of a distance from the upper yard. 

I guess I'm going to have to think this one over a little. 

I have 220 in 2 buildings but not everywhere I need it AND there's a limit to my amps.  I don't need large CFMs most of the time except sandblasting so even a smaller compressor would help but why not go as big as a WH can power?  I've used and read about converting V8s to four cyl engine pumping air out of the other four so I'm sure we could use a single or twin cylinder engine as a compressor.

• Like 1

Rob R

I did something a little different here I had two or three of those little portable air compressors (car) so I installed on all my tractors a push-in cigarette lighter socket (and fuse)  ... presto instant air wherever I want and any tractor and since the tractors are mobile more then once have helped the neighbors out.....!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton
29 minutes ago, Rob R said:

I did something a little different here I had two or three of those little portable air compressors (car) so I installed on all my tractors a push-in cigarette lighter socket (and fuse)  ... presto instant air wherever I want and any tractor and since the tractors are mobile more then once have helped the neighbors out.....!

Nice idea and easy enough to do!  Not many CFMs but not much effort or $$ either.

• Like 2