Chris G

Just curious

Chris G

In regards to oils and greases im just curious to see what combos of products are used by other folks on there equipment.  Me personally I like cenpeco or Lucas for grease and gear oil. And i use pennzoil for motor oil.

rmaynard

I'm a fan of Walmart synthetic in the hydros, any dino 30W in the crankcase of the Kohler's, and 10w30 synthetic or dino in the Onan. As far as I'm concerned they are all good. For grease I use the mid grade red stuff from TSC.

• Like 4

rjg854

I don't really use name brands either, Wally's brands are fine, these aren't high performance engines. I do change oil often though. I used Tech 2000 oil in my v6 Ford Ranger, owed it for 16 years and ran up 250,000 miles and never had a problem with the engine. That told me all I needed to know. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I do change oil often though

Agreed....

More important to me than the brand is frequency of change.

• Like 5

Racinbob

As mentioned, good maintenance is the key and any good oil will do the job. With that said I've used Valvoline products for over 4 decades and never had a reason to doubt it. :)

So I just use it in everything...................just cuz...............:D

• Like 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Agreed....

More important to me than the brand is frequency of change.

:twocents-02cents:     Any motor oil you will find on the shelf today is superior to the top brand oils available fifty four years ago when the majority of my engines were built. 

• Like 9

pfrederi

I am with the the Walmart crowd for most of my horses as they aren't used real hard and I believe more frequent changes are a better use of money than pricier lubricants.  For my principal mower horses that  run for 2-4 hours in the heat i do use Rotella 30w.  Diesel oil I believe has some additives good for our old style valve trains that are not in modern gas  engine oils as they apparently screwed up the catalytic converters.  May or may not be accurate but for a couple dollars more a quart i will do it on the heavily worked ponies.

• Like 4

oldlineman

Thats what I use Rotella 30w Hd every 20 hours. 14 kohler mag. 1100 hours and counting.

• Like 4

Chris G

I have used some of the wally world products as well. I'm just stuck on the brands I use cause that's what my grandad and dad raised me on.  And to the high mileage ford ranger. That's funny you say that cause I had a Ford ranger with the v6 I ran it up to 325,000 miles and now I got a Ford e150 van I've had for years now and I got that ran up to 380,000+ now. So I agree with the overall consensus of frequent maintenance and proper maintenance is the key. Like I said I was just curious to others thoughts. 

• Like 2

Achto

I use most any brand non detergent 30w in my engines that are not equipped with an oil pump.

If the engine has an oil pump, I am a big fan of Mobile1 synthetic oil at the recommended weight for the engine. Amsoil is also a fantastic synthetic oil, in fact it lubricates so well that it is not recommended for a new engine because it will not allow break in to occur. Amsoil is also a bit pricey.

As for grease I like most any synthetic high temp grease for all general uses.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 5

TDF5G

The old local :wh: dealer here, who was in business about 50 years, told me to keep the oil and air filter changed and the Kohler would last a long time.  

I use SAE 30 non detergent in my B, C series Kohlers.  It's getting harder to find though.  The past few years I've been getting it at Dollar General.  Back in the day my Dad used Phillips 66 Unique non detergent.   I wonder if he still has a quart or two in the barn? :think:

• Like 2

ACman

Man I think we still have some Kendall and Co-Op ( Farm Bureau ) non detergent oil hanging around the old AC dealership. I know there's still cardboard quarts of oil in the shed .

• Like 3

TDF5G
1 hour ago, ACman said:

Man I think we still have some Kendall and Co-Op ( Farm Bureau ) non detergent oil hanging around the old AC dealership. I know there's still cardboard quarts of oil in the shed .

My first job @ 10 years old was working in my Uncle's service station and I remember well all the cardboard cans.  We carried CO-OP also, had all the weights including auto trans fluids.  

• Like 3

rmaynard
2 hours ago, TDF5G said:

My first job @ 10 years old was working in my Uncle's service station and I remember well all the cardboard cans.  We carried CO-OP also, had all the weights including auto trans fluids.  

That's something you just don't see anymore...a service station.

Service-Station-Man-Pumping-Chevron-Gas.jpg.e640a6c31c3005a89d7641abb52e55f0.jpg

• Like 6

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: In our supposedly, service based economy...          :wacko:

why can one no longer find...a station that provides a valuable service?  

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 4

Chris G

I worked at a full service station for 9 years and loved it. But they shut the doors a year after I left for the service and now built a big fancy station with a dunking donuts drive thru. Know they struggle for buisness. Because people enjoyed the full service and small town manorism and common courtesy they would be treated with.

• Like 5

ohiofarmer

Go to Farmland Indiana.  Rode there on the 1979 Honda Cb750. [yes I do like old bikes like my old Horses]. The guy insisted on filling my tank and even used a towel to make sure no drips on the bike.   Besides that, there are plenty of Horses for sale in Indiana.

Arcanum Ohio at Troutwine's car dealership still pumps your gas, and often ,one of the owners will pump it for you in his dress slacks and tie.

• Like 3

ACman

During the 80's and early 90's we had a full service station in town . It was a 76 station and they hired local kids to pump your gas , usually 5 or 6 . The thing that stands out on in my mind was th trust the owner had with the kids . These kids all had a roll of cash and I'm talking like a three inch role of bills . The kids never knew how much cash they had (I ask a former employee) and at the end of the day most just took the cash home until the next day . I don't think this could happen in today's world .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 5

rmaynard

I know this thread had gone off the tracks, but I think the memories it has evoked are priceless!

1 hour ago, ACman said:

...These kids all had a roll of cash and I'm talking like a three inch role of bills...

Back when I was  kid (1950's), I remember my dad driving into the little Sinclair station in town. The building was the size of 1-car garage, but the front was all glass, and that's where he sold tires, oil, wiper blades, etc. There were a couple of chairs where you could just sit and chat. Behind the counter was a pot-bellied stove that always had a pot of coffee on it in the winter. In the back was his office, and storage for some parts, oil, anti-freeze and such. Alongside the building was an outside hydraulic lift where they did their service work ("sorry ma'am, can't service your car today, it's raining"), and in the front was the island with two pumps. One regular, and one high octane. Kerosene pump was next to the building. On the end of the island was a water hose for filling your radiator. The "crank your pressure" air pump was next to the Coke machine. While pumping your gas, the attendant would bring a small metal trash can up to the window and ask if you wanted to dump your ashtray.

Like Jeff quoted above, I was always fascinated by two things. The guy that pumped the gas had a large shirt pocket where he kept a squeeze bottle of windshield washer, and in his pants pocket was a wad of bills. Now I don't know if it was three inches thick or not because gas was only 22 cents per gallon back then.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 7

wallfish

Motor oil is motor oil. The internet says so!

• Like 4

Chris G

I know when I pumped gas, especially on a gas sale day. It was nothing to have a huge roll of cash in my pocket and usually I'd have to keep cutting the roll in half and stick it in another pocket. Just so you could pull it out and not drop it all. The owner never worried about how much we had on us. As long as we turned it all in by the next morning at 4 when we opened. Whatever was extra after he did his paperwork was giving back to us and counted as extra tips for us.

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 2