JPWH

That's a lot of work your doing. I agree with the tongue being too light and flexible. I am going to stiffen my angle tongue as well. The trailer that got damaged has a channel tongue and does not flex like the angle tongue on my new trailer.

Sarge

Yeah , pretty crap design if you ask me and a problem waiting to happen . I am glad to discover that someone other than the regular "welder" that did the main frame and cross members knew what they were doing - it was welded very solidly and a pain to cut through those welds to remove it . New tongue is in place and hope to start sand blasting it today for new paint . I'm about wore out , hate trying to work under stuff anymore as my health is really made a change - too many years of doing this stuff and my joints are just shot . Trying to decide if I want to go to IH Red on it or just go back to the stock black...ugh .

Sarge

• Like 2

953 nut
6 hours ago, Sarge said:

too many years of doing this stuff and my joints are just shot

I resemble that remark!     :twocents-02cents:        If you have a hoist available I would put the trailer on it's side to weld it back together. 

• Like 2

Sarge

Welds are done - had the local guy next door come over and burn them in for me , I really need new glasses again , ugh . Doing overhead on 7018 isn't a problem until I get to structural tubing with rounded corners - no depth perception left on one eye and the other one is closely gone as well - first time in 40yrs I've had to ask someone else to weld for me - not a happy day . He's got 10yrs on me , a lot better health and still has a decent set of eyes - the guy is disgustingly smooth to boot , lol . Anyhow , he finished up the rounded edge structural tubing joints , I got everything else done and realized last night I forgot the safety chain hoops , ugh . Will do that today and need to work on the gate's hinges anyway so I'll drag out the Dynasty again . Weather looks like 1 more day and it goes to crap , I'd like to get the dumb thing at least blasted and primed before that happens . Got called out for work tomorrow , Tuesday's forecast doesn't look promising - just can't win . At least I'll have time to work on getting the D back together , finally .

I had used an engine hoist to get the trailer that high on the big jack stands - much nicer to sit upright than laying on your back in the gravel .

Sarge

• Like 2

JPWH

After finally getting the new gates and latches in. I removed the damaged gates, latches and hinges loaded the new parts and delivered it to a trailer repair center. (Never again.) I had to remove the gates and hinges to rework them so they would work properly. This is one project I'm happy to have behind me.

KIMG1015.jpg.e29866e405b879fd08836c512e89d692.jpg

KIMG1016.jpg.e679418fe2eccc71d5cfb8431bdae62e.jpg

Delivered back to owner today. All damage repaired plus all new wheel bearings, replaced 2 marker lights, and 1 tail light. And upgraded hinges to greaseable bullet style and made the gates removable.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Aldon

Nice. Old school. Return it in better condition than borrowed.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5

Sarge

Looks great to me . Never was a fan of the twin gate version , but it does make them a lot lighter to lift....

Sarge

• Like 1

JPWH

I got one 854 drivable so the grandkids could ride. Carburetor was broke on one half of the mounting flange and the treads had pulled loose on the exhaust.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

JPWH

While the pit crew was changing the gas tank I thought I would check the valve clearance since the carburetor was already off. I think I  also found the cause of the oil leaks.

KIMG1147.jpg.b84704210a4a10cb813e6d897af64e4a.jpgI'm glad it was Bondo and not JB weld. I cleaned it all out so the motor can breathe. When I get it running again I'll know if this was the cause of all the oil leaks.

• Like 1

Desko

Any update on the hoods? That really sucks they got smashed 

JPWH

I have both of the replacement hoods now but have not done anything to them.

• Like 2

JPWH

My grandsons took the gas tank and front wheels off the 854 6 speed at Christmas. They got the tank back on then. Today I removed the steering wheel and shaft and reinstalled the steering shaft and and an original steering wheel. Put new bearings in the front wheels and installed a good carburetor.

This is the steering wheel that came on it.

KIMG1210.jpg.9ee8ae197f5b6a6409614cce8e89e01c.jpg

KIMG1209.jpg.5721806a627946c9ced35b2d2682f206.jpg

15183806734391459157094.jpg.c56cbb468aa0f12126c0ab7445702421.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

JPWH

I have earned a little more shop time after doing some honey do remodeling. After 2 weekends of rearranging and reorganizing my shop I have room to work again so I put the 854 hoods on the table and started by removing rusted out trim pieces.

shop before

KIMG1215.jpg.d31e8b0f10bf90aaae8952cfeaa61f5e.jpg

After

KIMG1226.jpg.9ce65692ded2a1f81f75690b93ec8ee7.jpg

Hood trim removed.

KIMG1225.jpg.09caa3f8d332dec19bd058d99c153d1e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

AMC RULES

:think:  Thinking...

I need some new :wh: trim. 

• Like 1

JPWH
5 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:think:  Thinking...

I need some new :wh: trim. 

Already on the shelf. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JPWH

Has anyone replaced the conduit and wire on a choke like this? I'm going to give it a try. Any advice before I do? 

KIMG1227.jpg.f270baa47d32715ac5c99d2d8d1a5225.jpg

elcamino/wheelhorse

@JPWH Where did you put all of your stuff ? Magic shed or dump ?

• Haha 1

JPWH
1 minute ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@JPWH Where did you put all of your stuff ? Magic shed or dump ?

3 - 33 gal trash bags went to trash. Everything else is still there.

• Like 1

wallfish
51 minutes ago, JPWH said:

Has anyone replaced the conduit and wire on a choke like this? I'm going to give it a try. Any advice before I do? 

The conduit should screw into the holder. It's been a long while but I think you need to srew it in backwards. Meaning the conduit spiral must shrink and not expand as you turn it in.

Attaching the wire to the knob is a pain because that metal is difficult to drill. I've gotten some drilled deep enough to hold the wire and I used crimpers to crimp the wire in. Doing communications for years means I have a bunch of different size crimpers. I've also ruined a few but they were already broken so what's the difference.

Edited by wallfish
  • Thanks 1

JPWH

Thanks John. That's kind of what I figured to do. I have an old crimper that I think will work. I got the.old wire out of the knob by heating the end with the wire clamped in a vice then used a claw hammer like pulling a nail.

WHX??

I might be missing something here Hank but that's the newer style choke that can be cheaply had yet? Just replace the whole thing? Pats small engine plus has them too. Guy that was  selling at the BS had them too. Now if one can figure out how to put the older small knobs on the new style assemblies? Or is that what you are trying to do?

JPWH

@WHX14 I threw away a set of throttle and choke cables and went that route the first time around. Then I got the idea that maybe I could have saved them. If this works I will be looking for the older style to refurbish. I like the covered conduit so I bought a roll to replace the cables on the custom 12 and figured why not do the 854  and lawn ranger as well. I can do all three for the cost of one set.

• Like 1

19richie66
5 hours ago, JPWH said:

@WHX14 I threw away a set of throttle and choke cables and went that route the first time around. Then I got the idea that maybe I could have saved them. If this works I will be looking for the older style to refurbish. I like the covered conduit so I bought a roll to replace the cables on the custom 12 and figured why not do the 854  and lawn ranger as well. I can do all three for the cost of one set.

I have the old cabkes off the gt14 you can have if they would work.

• Like 1

JPWH

Thanks @19richie66i I don't need the cables just the parts in the picture.