KIMG0889.jpg.84b3c2ca293330e5482b56d10bd8c052.jpg

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 6

Aldon

I grew up in Roanoke/Christansburg VA.

nice pic!

• Like 1

953 nut

Jay, knowing how mush blood, sweat and tears went into making that hood a show stopper I can only imagine how sick that made you feel!

IMG_20160410_131412768.jpg.a161e42150ae110a251c87a93be7d404.jpg      KIMG0889.jpg.84b3c2ca293330e5482b56d10bd8c052.jpg

• Like 6

JPWH

Believe it or not I really didn't feel that way. I'm more concerned with finding the hoods. I have experience now so the next ones will be more fun.

• Like 3

953 nut
3 minutes ago, JPWH said:

have experience now

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

6bg6ga

I realize that words cannot really express how the damage makes you feel and nothing can be said to take away the pain of that damage. I sincerely hope that either your body man is a true artist or replacement parts can be found.

Looking at the damage reminds me of when I was young and my grandfather had a new 56 Buick and ran into a dump truck with the right headlight. It pushed the headlight broke it and mashed the fender. The body man cut the section out hammered it out and put it back together. They were artists back then and they used lead instead of plastic putty.

• Like 4

JPWH

I need to find the hoods because I'm the bodyman and no artist. lol 

• Like 4

JPWH

I found one hood. Or I should say a member with a hood found me. Just waiting for the ins companies to finish arguing about who is gonna pay me. Then the adjuster and.I may have to get in the ring. Time will tell. In the meantime all I can do is wait first them to give me the go to see the damage under the hoods. What kind can see for sure is one gas tank, 1 carb, one filter backplate and cover, one hood beyond repair and 1 hood that may be repairable. The damage to the trailer is repairable so if it gets totaled the owner is going to let me have it for the salvage price.

• Like 7

19richie66

That hurts to look at. Glad everyone is ok and I hope you come out good on the other side. I worry about having a trailer mishap on the way. I have had some bad experiences towing trailers. Lost a boat and trailer on the interstate years ago. Weird feeling looking in the mirror and what you were towing is gone. Then to have it pass you is even worse. I can laugh about it now. All was good though in the end. Still have my job.:thumbs:

• Like 4

6bg6ga
21 hours ago, JPWH said:

I need to find the hoods because I'm the bodyman and no artist. lol 

I figured that since it was an accident the insurance company would allow the damage to be fixed by a auto body shop and if you look around you might be able to dig up a good old body man.

Are todays body repair people not skilled in the art of pounding out dents? Is everything a matter of unbolting fenders and or panels and replacing them?

• Like 1

19richie66

With todays cars, you can't pound out tin foil 😂

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 4

JPWH

I have been to all our local body shops and no one will attempt an estimate. 

Any one on redsquare want to write one? 

I was told today that because of the specialty of the repairs they would accept an estimate from a Rs member.

• Like 2

rmaynard

We have plenty of members who work for body shops, or owned shops. Hopefully one of them will be able to help you. A body shop guy who has done restorations should have a good feel for what it would cost to bring them back. 

• Like 3

Pullstart

Jay, what a bummer.  Think though, you (and your wife) could be thankful that a tail of metal acted as a buffer.  Think of what could have happened if you were not hauling, and that pathfinder found your vehicle instead. It sounds like your spirits are in order, best of luck getting everything squared away in your favor.  Glad everyone's ok to walk and talk about it another day.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Jay, I just saw this...glad all are OK.  @Kelly here on Red Square is an excellent body guy and a vendor here on Red Square.  Maybe send him a PM and see if he can help you with that estimate.  :think:

• Like 4

JPWH

Not waiting totally on the estimate. I have a hood on the way so I stopped by to see an old friend at a sheet metal shop and left with these for the hoods.

20170629_195155.jpg.6be3874c20d869e55ee3394efe191b27.jpg

• Like 7

Bert
1 hour ago, JPWH said:

Not waiting totally on the estimate. I have a hood on the way so I stopped by to see an old friend at a sheet metal shop and left with these for the hoods.

20170629_195155.jpg.6be3874c20d869e55ee3394efe191b27.jpg

Are they for the the outside upper edges? 

Also wanna say that I've looked at your pics a few times and I think the one hood is fixable, not for a show tractor but worth saving for a worker :wh:

Edited by Bert
  • Like 3

JPWH

They are. I am going to try to save the one. It is ripped at the seam pretty bad. 

• Like 2

Sarge

If you want spot on estimates and someone to do the work , start asking the car show folks around the area - someone will know of a body shop or guy that does this type of work on a regular basis and they are generally pretty discreet since they won't deal with modern cars and such . We have a local guy here that will remove a whole damaged rear section , repair it to new and repaint a car and you'd never know it was done , he's that good.

Sarge

• Like 3

JC 1965

I hope everything turns out well for you.    :thumbs2:

• Like 2

JPWH

I finally found a collision / restoration shop to give me an estimate. 2,478.00 for the 2 854's and 600.00 on the trailer.

Still waiting for accident report to see what ins pays.

• Like 4

WHX??

Well that's not the worst, did the shop have any problems with them being vintage tractors? I bet the damage to the other vehicles is a lot more?

• Like 3

JPWH

No he didnt have a problem being vintage tractors but he had never heard of wheel horse and had no idea where to get parts. I told him what I had so far and would get the rest of the parts.

• Like 4

JPWH

We finally received the accident report last Friday and had to send a copy to the ins company on Monday because they had no record of receiving it. After receiving the report they did admit that they were responsible for our damages but would not ok to proceed with repairs. That had to come from the estimating department after the claims department forwarded them for review.

Wednesday claims department still had not forwarded info to estimating. They said they needed three estimates one for each tractor along with the 864.00 for the trailer I finally was able to get written.

After I lost my cool and regained it I informed them that I would be glad to with an additional cost of 5 hours travel time, a days pay, + expenses. Then they said wait and see what estimating had to say before I went to all that trouble. My wife called today and they wanted an account number for a direct deposit. 

:woohoo:

• Like 3

oliver2-44

Be careful accepting a direct deposit until you've agreed on the amount.  One the deposit clears your account they can claim the account settled and you might not even know what they were offering/sending you.

• Like 4