mikeeyre74

Identify this tractor?

mikeeyre74

This machine turned up in craigslist… The owner has it listed for $250, which I think is in sane, but you never know what they'll come down to. Can someone identify this so I can do my homework on it first? Raider, perhaps?

What is this?

• Like 2

Sparky

Looks like a Commando 6. Would have had a Tecumseh 6hp originally.

1-4631 1968 Lawn & Garden Tractor Commando 6 4-Speed Tecumseh HH60-105047B 6 Wheel Horse 5053

Mike....

• Like 3

Uncle Buck

Why is $250 for that tractor insane? Help me understand why the tractor is not worth that price. To me the price seems fine.

• Like 3

jellyghost
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Why is $250 for that tractor insane? Help me understand why the tractor is not worth that price. To me the price seems fine.

If a tractor works as a riding lawn mower, most of society would call $250 a fair price. 

• Like 4

Uncle Buck
11 hours ago, jellyghost said:

If a tractor works as a riding lawn mower, most of society would call $250 a fair price. 

True, but that still fails to explain why it is not worth $250. If $250 is not a fair price, then what would be a fair price?

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

I think any GT that's all there and functional is worth $250.

• Like 2

Texas Todd

Not a terrible price, but I would probably start at $150 to see how motivated he is to sell. A 10 horse would be pretty strong on that short frame.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

It all depends on location...here in Oklahoma I would give $250 for that tractor all day long, but they are also hard to find down here 

• Like 2

mikeeyre74

I say "insane" because, as the fellow above noted, it depends on location and availability. Around my parts, I've bought and sold several tractors in much better condition for about that price. This one in the ad is missing the headlights entirely, it's rusty as heck, the owner admits there's an issue with the deck and it doesn't have the original engine... and it's hard to see from the picture, but he may have notched the hood to make clearance for that engine. 

It seems like all those guys out west a bit more have it even better than me tho. I've seen much nicer tractors than even my regular workers that are for sale out west a bit and they go for $200-300 all day long. Out here those same ones would sell for $500 and up. It all depends on where you are I suppose. This one above, in California, might go for $500. But not here...

Edited by mikeeyre74
  • Like 2

Uncle Buck

I think that for the most part folks east of the Mississippi have much more to pick from in far better shape than most of us west of that line. There is quite a bit of stuff to be found for those of us west and not east, but I do not think nearly as much and not nearly as much in as a good shape and unmolested as is found back east. I watch CL close and very regularly and I doubt that tractor would be seen on CL in the Kansas city area or for that matter for at least several hundred miles in any direction from KC for a lot less than that. Usually for that kind of price either the machine is not running, there is no deck, or if it has a deck the bearings are out.

I have bought a few right in my area but on the whole nothing like that where you can just jump in the saddle and ride for much less than that. Some folks in KS will list a bone pile of WH parts and think it is worth hundreds of dollars.

I just looked at the CL ads in CT and as I thought there was probably 4-5 times as much WH listed there as you would usually find in my area. Many seemed to be priced as they might be here, but for those priced at less than $300 you have much more choice just due to the volume than what would normally be found here. Your comment makes a little more sense now, you guys have tons of stuff to choose from where you are compared to the little bit listed in my area.

Edited by Uncle Buck

mikeeyre74

It kinda makes me wonder what they mow their lawns and till their gardens with out west, and what kind of tractors they have out there that I've never even heard of but might reconsidered a rarity out here? I might have to google that up I guess.. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I've bought better GTs for less than $250, in fact I've bought FAR better for very near that price but I still say that any functional GT that's all there & functional is worth $250.  Didn't say I'd pay $250 for it because it's nothing I need but if I needed a GT I'd certainly consider it for its asking price but perhaps offer $150.  Of course it might not withstand an "up close" review as Mike has pointed out a few things maybe the camera didn't catch.  But again, a working GT is surely worth $249.99!

Uncle Buck
3 hours ago, mikeeyre74 said:

It kinda makes me wonder what they mow their lawns and till their gardens with out west, and what kind of tractors they have out there that I've never even heard of but might reconsidered a rarity out here? I might have to google that up I guess.. 

John Deere, Snapper, Cub, Craftsman etc.

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

John Deere, Snapper, Cub, Craftsman etc.

Hey! Careful!  Good brands in there!  

Maybe a Murray?  Ever heard of a great 50 year old Murray? 

• Like 1