oldredrider

C-85 transmission issue

oldredrider

Got this tractor a while back and it had a broken hi/lo shifter fork. Went into it and replaced the broken fork as well as inspected everything. Put it back on the tractor and transmission worked perfectly. Drove it around several times with no problems at all.

Went to move it and now it won't go into 1st or reverse. 

I've pulled shifter out and tried to move the dogs but there is resistance. I'm a novice on transmissions but have no problem getting into one.

What problem should I be looking for? Everthing looked great last time I was in there and the current issue, literally, happened over night. 

stevasaurus

Paul, did you happen to take any pictures of putting it back together??  Having some to look at may show us the problem. 

Did you have the fork gear slots facing each other?  Did you take out the roll pins from the shift rails and forks?  2nd and 3rd gears shift OK?  What do you mean by resistance...it is shifting hard or not at all between 1st and reverse??

Depending on how you answer these questions, I would think you are going back in.  Hopefully, you are bench testing this.  :)

oldredrider

Steve, everything was reassembled in reverse order. No roll pins were removed. 2nd and 3rd shift fine in hi or low. Tranny worked great after reassemble. 

Even with shifter out, 1st and reverse dogs are hard to move and don't want to shift gears.

I don't have any problem going back in. Just curious about what might be causing the problem. 

N3PUY

didn't put in a detent ball?  :think:

oldredrider

I know I didn't leave a ball out, or anything else. Transmission worked flawlessly after reassembly. 

I'll just have to go back into it to figure out what's wrong. Probably gonna be a few weeks before that happens, but I will report back with what I find.