Bertie

First real look around...

Bertie

Had an hour with the C121 today, dropped the gearbox oil which was old contaminated and cream like flushed out and replaced. Engine oil very low and old so changed that.. brakes are not good so adjusted but better to change the lining I think so will have to source one, new air filter and seal reqired, tires are shot so need 4 new ones currently Carlisle on all four corners at the moment, engine mountings are shot the list goes on but a good wheel horse in the main ... made to last.

Still not had chance to get it running but will shortly as I've decided to run it before a rebuild... the wife named it "Rocky" today as she said he looks a tough cookie who will make a come back.... so "Rocky" it is...😉

20170623_182300.jpg

20170623_182607.jpg

• Like 7

chris sutton

Off to a good start Bertie, looks like you need to replace the gear lever boot which will stop the water getting in the tranny and the brake spring. both parts are available from Toro dealer's here in the UK

• Like 1

Bertie
57 minutes ago, chris sutton said:

Off to a good start Bertie, looks like you need to replace the gear lever boot which will stop the water getting in the tranny and the brake spring. both parts are available from Toro dealer's here in the UK

Thanks Chris could you suggest a dealer please...

Edited by Bertie

chris sutton

I use Hugh Page at Heathfield in Sussex, they are very helpful and post stuff.

The boot ( cover ) is part no 3577, can't remember the spring but they were about £9

Bertie

Brilliant thanks Chris👍

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Bertie said:

Had an hour with the C121 today, dropped the gearbox oil which was old contaminated and cream like flushed out and replaced. Engine oil very low and old so changed that.. brakes are not good so adjusted but better to change the lining I think so will have to source one, new air filter and seal reqired, tires are shot so need 4 new ones currently Carlisle on all four corners at the moment, engine mountings are shot the list goes on but a good wheel horse in the main ... made to last.

Still not had chance to get it running but will shortly as I've decided to run it before a rebuild... the wife named it "Rocky" today as she said he looks a tough cookie who will make a come back.... so "Rocky" it is...😉

20170623_182607.jpg

I'm a huge fan of Castrol products, now an even better reason to use them in the :wh:s...thanks for the pic of the lube plate, Jeff.

Bertie
21 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I'm a huge fan of Castrol products, now an even better reason to use them in the :wh:s...thanks for the pic of the lube plate, Jeff.

Hi Jeff, nice plate with I belive the original supplying uk dealer info, nice to see it still in place after a good working life then locked away for years. 

What tyres are you guys running I can get BKT although I belive the originals were Carlisle's...

Edited by Bertie

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, Bertie said:

What tyres are you guys running I can get BKT although I belive the originals were Carlisle's...

Bertie, I run whatever brand I find that's in the tread pattern(turf or AG) I want and the price I can afford for  my workers, but there it boils down to personal preference and whatever you want.

• Like 1

Bertie

I've orderd a set of turf tyres thanks...👍

Bertie

Took off the air shroud this morning lots of gunk to clen following storagr etc all sorted now. Let me know if you spot anything else that needs sorting out in the pics....

20170626_093352.jpg

20170626_093408.jpg

• Like 2

tunahead72

I'd recommend an inline fuel filter.  If this tractor's been sitting for a long time, I'd also suggest draining the old fuel and filling the tank with fresh gas, and probably replace the old fuel line while you're at it.  You may have to clean out or rebuild the carburetor too.  Do you have ethanol-free gas over there?

Bertie

Thanks appreciate your thoughts we do have ethonal free but not available locally to me, fuel tank drained and replacement line later this week. Thought about an in line filter and may add one when my replacement shut off valve and bung arrive from the USA. I'm goin to try get it going first but agree a carb clean/build is the right way to go... Need to find the correct battery as mine has a cloth over the top obviously stopping the terminals contacting the hood eek 😱

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
8 hours ago, Bertie said:

Thanks appreciate your thoughts we do have ethonal free but not available locally to me, fuel tank drained and replacement line later this week. Thought about an in line filter and may add one when my replacement shut off valve and bung arrive from the USA. I'm goin to try get it going first but agree a carb clean/build is the right way to go... Need to find the correct battery as mine has a cloth over the top obviously stopping the terminals contacting the hood eek 😱

the shutoff should have a screen filter on it. but putting a inline filter never hurts either lol

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Off to a good start. Clear pictures to.

Glenn

Bertie

Funny when my wife got interested and named it Rocky.... a set of new tyres and tubes turn up ....😂😂

20170628_110312.jpg

20170628_110252.jpg

• Like 3

pfrederi

You have 2 voltage regulators...Guess the big one died???

The small one has to be mounted in the air shroud for cooling purposes.

Inked20170626_093352.jpg.7500d65d723dc0579b389385005bd535_LI.jpg

• Like 2

Bertie
49 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

You have 2 voltage regulators...Guess the big one died???

The small one has to be mounted in the air shroud for cooling purposes.

Inked20170626_093352.jpg.7500d65d723dc0579b389385005bd535_LI.jpg

I havent yet yet got to the electrics and the secondary smaller VR is now attached to the shroud as suggested...I want to revert to an original set up so hope they are available when I get time to sort it.. I have a few parts on their way from the USA but with handling and postal charges it makes for a big cost figure so need to find more parts if possible in the UK dealer network.... If not it will still get what it needs as I can't stand messing about with shortcuts... It's just the way I'm made 😉

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts/observations it's a great help to the new guy...👍

gwest_ca

See in your last photo below the bolted-on regulator on the vertical part of the hoodstand is the original Wheel Horse ID plate. Mind posting those numbers?

Garry

Bertie
19 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

See in your last photo below the bolted-on regulator on the vertical part of the hoodstand is the original Wheel Horse ID plate. Mind posting those numbers?

Garry

Sure Garry, there you go...

image.jpeg

BOB ELLISON

One other thing you might want to look out for is the rubber motor mounts.

They are notorious for dry rotting and splitting. If you see the engine moving when you get it running that will be a problem you can address then. You can find the mounts but there quite pricy. 

A lot of the guys make solid mounts to replace them. There are some posts here on how to do it.

Good luck on your build

• Like 1

Bertie

Thanks Bob, they are all shot and need replacing so will check out the members posts as I had a quote of £32 each in the UK....🖒

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
21 minutes ago, Bertie said:

Thanks Bob, they are all shot and need replacing so will check out the members posts as I had a quote of £32 each in the UK....🖒

I did find a good post with dimensions for making the mounts out of metal. 

It's at the bottom of this post.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/51859-is-this-shaft-input-to-knarled/#comment-500384

• Like 2

gwest_ca
2 hours ago, Bertie said:

Sure Garry, there you go...

image.jpeg

Thank you. No doubt you saw this

Garry

• Like 1

Bertie

I did Garry thanks...

Des

Bertie

As expected the list of things to do is growing but at nearly 4 decades old I expect the odd bodge job so next is the PTO...

the PTO clutch leaver moves into place but I'm sure will need adjustment... I enclose a pic and as you will see the bottom of the rod below the clevis pin sits in a nut which has been welded into place at some time. The clutch leaver is missing a spring about  8 inches back from the trunion and the plate with rod and one bolt is very slack/loose how much movement in the top plate is normal some or none.

Hope this makes sence any comments welcome.

image.jpeg.7226eb4c983df0fefc755eaef08c2a79.jpeg

Edited by Bertie
  • Like 1