Kavint76

1277 rare or not

Kavint76

Hey everyone i gots a question. How rare are the 1277s? I hardly ever c them on here or Craigslist. N not many questions about them on here. The 1277 was the first wheel horse i got n it was in a falling down shed for a few yrs. I got it for cleaning out the shed. I was amazed at how easy it was to get running. Now i use it every day to mow to take my 2 yr old son rides and it always starts rite up. Thats why i got bit by the bug. I hope my son is using it when hes my age. I know he loves it now. I was just wondering how rare they are any info on this will greatly be appreciate. Thanks Kavin

Retired Wrencher

Kavint76  I would say they are not as popular as the 1257 but I would not say rare. I think the 607 is rare in that year.  It took me three years to find one. Just my :twocents-02cents:  Enjoy the ride.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher
  • Like 1

Sarge

As far as number , no , not a lot of them left around . It was a one-year model of course and in '67 it was pretty much a top of the line tractor . In my opinion , one of the best looking Wheel Horse ever made and very simple , yet extremely capable of doing any task .

This one I had picked up to have two 1277's , but ended up selling it since I really had no use for it at the time - never should have done that but at least it went to a member here .

WP_20150903_19_16_16_Pro.jpg.d95df99425dcef0a45a33c2181e26896.jpg

This is my first one and will stay no matter what - this tractor has done so much work around here and around town I could never part with it . I need to fix the frame and give the old girl a new paint job and address a few things , but it still fires and runs well although the old K really needs to be rebuilt .

594d0a554e07a_1277inshed122-162.jpg.75dd37f27cdd77a3da77fe789cd65f6c.jpg

Sarge

• Like 7

RandyLittrell

I have a loader on my 1277,but plan to put it on a different tractor and restore this one. 

Randy

KIMG0250.jpg

ClassicTractorProfessor

My first Wheel Horse was also a 1277...and I too have noticed that not many of them come up...but like Sarge said they were a one year tractor, and now 50 years later there aren't many left around. Mine came from a friend's backyard, where it had been sitting for the last several years out in the weather. Brought her home, changed all fluids, fresh has, and a hot battery and she fired right up. Mowed several yards with her last summer before a rod bolt backed out and broke a rod in about 6 pieces.

FB_IMG_1498340322367.jpg

Edited by Professor1990

Kavint76

Thnx everyone for the comments mine starts so easy to. Even when i pull started it first pull every time. They sure are hard workers and ill never part with it. I to love the look of it.

Tgtack

It's debatable if it was a one year model, in 66 you had the 1276, and in 67 you had the 1277, basically the same tractor. There was one big difference, in 66 the parking brake lever was mounted low on the side, you pushed down to detention the drive belt and engage brake pawl. In 67, WH moved the brake lever to the top of the console, and you would pull up on the lever to detention the drive belt and engage the brake pawl. Like mentioned, both years were a premium model. I would say they are both rare, most of the mid 60's long hood models are. I am about 90% finished with my 1276 restore. I had it at the Big Show, and I did not see another 1276 or 1277 running around (I did not have time to look through every building though).

20170624_200701.jpg

20170624_200615.jpg

• Like 2

rjg854

Squonk had his recently renovated 1276 there for the Show.

Retired Wrencher
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:53 PM, Kavint76 said:

Thnx everyone for the comments mine starts so easy to. Even when i pull started it first pull every time. They sure are hard workers and ill never part with it. I to love the look of it.

They are great tractors. I all ways like the way mine started also. Cha chunk I will miss them. 

Sarge

That 1276 turned out so nice Tim , glad to see you found your way here - best place ever for information and great folks . Funny how both seem to have the same tastes - years ago it was Sami's , now wheel horse....

Been trying lately to remember how long I've owned my first 1277 - guess it's been knocking on 20yrs now and I owe it a nice restore for all the hard work it's done over the years around here , despite being treated like bulldozer most times and just generally beaten , rode hard and put up wet far too many times .

Sarge