WVMountainMan

Clutch Issue

WVMountainMan

Today as I was mowing with my 314-8, all of a sudden when I depressed the clutch it failed to disengage. I had been mowing for a hour or so without any problems. I took the belt cover off and lifted the rear wheels off the ground and started it.. but pushing the clutch in has no effect whatever. Idler pulley does release and it seems fine but she just keeps on digging when you push the clutch in. Belt is somewhat worn...Ideas..?

Racinbob

You are saying that the idler pulley does release tension on the drive belt and yet the tractor keeps going :scratchead:

WVMountainMan

Yes..I push the clutch in and it keeps right on digging...I took the belt cover off...and when you push the clutch in, the idler pulley moves forward and spins freely. It was working smooth as silk one minute and then the next pushing the clutch in has no effect...I have read the complete history of clutch issues here and have found nothing like this..lots of slipping and no go issues and the such but nothing about one having a mind of it's own...

Racinbob

I'm a little confused here. If the idler pulley releases the drive belt tension there would be nothing to spin the input pulley on the transmission. A picture would likely help out a lot. In the meantime I would check the roll pin on the clutch arm assuming it's not welded. :)

It just hit me. You have the belt cover off. The cover must be on in order for the belt to stop. The belt will keep moving. Are you confusing this with the clutch not disengaging?

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

WVMountainMan

Well...it started this craziness with the belt cover on and the wife's rose bush is a solemn testimony to same..:o...and I have read here that the belt cover needs to be on to stop the belt...When it decided to go rogue I pulled it in the garage and jacked the rear wheels up.. I put it in gear and tied the clutch pedal all the way down with a ratchet strap and it made no difference...the wheels on the tractor kept going round and round...linkage good...clutch rod hooked...everything appears to be copasectic... now...belt is worn and I have read that the pulleys need cleaned to make them slickier(?) something wacky in the PTO perhaps...?

Racinbob

My condolences to the rose bush. It looks like you need to make a trip to a nursery :D

No to the PTO causing the issue. I suppose the belt could be hanging up but I wouldn't think there would be any 'umph' to move the tractor. You could try cleaning the pulleys and install a new belt and see what happens. I would suggest using a genuine Toro belt. There are others that would work but I only use Toro for the drive belt just to make sure the belt isn't causing an issue. At the very least use a covered belt. It has to allow slippage to stop as well as avoiding jerky starts. When you change it try holding the clutch pedal in place and moving the idler arm. :)

• Like 1

WVMountainMan

Copy that...I had ordered a drive belt earlier in the year just to have and to hold...so I guess It's time to take it off the wall and give it try...happened bout dark thirty last evening and the wife is not yet aware of the demise of her rose bush...spent just enough time on it to get hornswauggled about the problem...makes no sense to me...appears to be the simplest of set-ups...defies reason at this point...and it's bugging me..:wacko:

• Like 1

Racinbob

Let us know what happens when you put it on :)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Maybe one of the guide tabs broke off the guard.  When you take off the guard see if anything looks to be missing (fresh break).  Maybe a couple of pictures would help.  It is hard to think that what Bob was saying, or the guard itself is not the problem. 

Poor rose bush.  :deadhorse:

• Like 1

WVMountainMan

Will do Bob...I know... I was not expecting to keep going when I push on that clutch pedal...I will (hopefully) figure it out this weekend...thanks for the shout back guys....

• Like 1

oldlineman

I know my 414-8 has a "L" shaped bracket on with the clutch pully that will bind the belt when the clutch is pushed and stop the belt. I just replaced my belt ,broke while mowing week or two ago, 1989 original belt, put a toro wheel horse belt on workes fine.

• Like 1

WVMountainMan

Ok...just come in and the mystery is hereby solved...the belt had somehow come out of the drive pulley at the PTO and was running just like it was supposed to between that pulley and and the PTO clutch disc...woulda never thought it would/could run in there and drive this tractor without slipping or any loss of power...now...why that happened?  i dunno..New belt in the morning and ride out this tropical storm...The old girl lives to cut again..Thanks again Bob, Stevasaurus, and oldlineman...

• Like 1

oldlineman

there should be a wire guide by the drive pully to keep the belt in the grove. Maybe broke ,missing or out of adjustment.

• Like 1

WVMountainMan

You would think oldlineman...wife was hurrying me up to go to Home Depot to look at rosebushes:huh: and I didn't get to look real close at it... but I will today...

• Like 1

WVMountainMan

All is well here in "Almost Heaven"...rose bush replaced and the ol' the Wheel Horse is now standing tall...New belt on...everything adjusted... thanks...

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Pictures of the rose bush would have been nice.   Glad you figured out the issue with the horse.  :occasion-xmas: