sergt3

seat

sergt3

can anyone recommend a replacement seat for a 1995 314-8 with safety switch,,,,,thanks rick

TDF5G

We had a hard time finding a seat for my Dad's 1996 314-8.  It has an odd bolt pattern and we never found an aftermarket with the same pattern. I eventually found a good used one on fleaBay. 

Edited by TDF5G

clueless

Your seat bolt pattern should be the WH stranded 7"Lx7.5"W, plenty of after markets out there, Northern Tool #V-350 is what I use, on sell now $39.99 + S&H. The problem you have is the safety switch, it's the one that goes in the seat. On my '97 416 I bought a Concetric 520000BK02 tractor seat, cut a small square in the bottom of the seat pan and snaked the switch in it, works fine. The switch can be pulled out of your old seat and used on the new one.

Uncle Buck
4 hours ago, sergt3 said:

can anyone recommend a replacement seat for a 1995 314-8 with safety switch,,,,,thanks rick

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to figure out how to disable that switch to me! B)

• Like 2

RedRanger
4 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to figure out how to disable that switch to me! B)

Snip two wires, twist together.  Problem Solved.  If you're feeling professional, wrap in tape.

Now let's see how many guys post up how unsafe it is to bypass a "security feature".

Humans are a devolving species.  We need all the protection those who are smarter than us can provide.

• Like 3

Uncle Buck
21 hours ago, RedRanger said:

Snip two wires, twist together.  Problem Solved.  If you're feeling professional, wrap in tape.

Now let's see how many guys post up how unsafe it is to bypass a "security feature".

Humans are a devolving species.  We need all the protection those who are smarter than us can provide.

You should love this. I have two college degrees in Safety, a BS in Industrial Safety and a Masters in Safety Management. I took additional training at the OSHA Institute in Arlington Heights Illinois. I have worked in Occupational Safety (employee safety) for decades. That is what I do for a living now.

BTW: Yes, I am good at what I do. That does not mean in my personal life I agree with every safety measure I encounter!

All that said I hate those seat safety switches. They really blow when you are driving on rough terrain!

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 4

TDF5G
1 hour ago, clueless said:

Your seat bolt pattern should be the WH stranded 7"Lx7.5"W, plenty of after markets out there, Northern Tool #V-350 is what I use, on sell now $39.99 + S&H. The problem you have is the safety switch, it's the one that goes in the seat. On my '97 416 I bought a Concetric 520000BK02 tractor seat, cut a small square in the bottom of the seat pan and snaked the switch in it, works fine. The switch can be pulled out of your old seat and used on the new one.

The bolt pattern on my Dad's '96 is odd.  It's 5 3/4" x 7 7/8".  We never did find a new seat that would work. 

Edited by TDF5G

gregg'shorses
2 hours ago, RedRanger said:

If your feeling real adventurous you can solder and shrink tube.:)

• Like 1

Marv

Can't help it, must reply. That switch saves your life when you are mowing the bank of the pond and tip over and fall off the tractor. Get wet but at least the mower doesn't eat you up. Yea I know shouldn't have been doing that. The fellow it happened to swears by that switch now.

Marv

• Like 1

RedRanger
14 hours ago, Marv said:

Can't help it, must reply. That switch saves your life when you are mowing the bank of the pond and tip over and fall off the tractor. Get wet but at least the mower doesn't eat you up. Yea I know shouldn't have been doing that. The fellow it happened to swears by that switch now.

Marv

Don't feel guilty.  I knew someone would reply.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Sounds like someone was mowing where they should not have been...using the wrong tool for the job.  Yes, the switch did what it was suppose to do, but equipment has limits.  The user/owner needs to know those limits and accept the consequences when he exceeds those limits.

Life lessons are few and far between anymore.  I'm a believer that technology, as it may save some lives, is dumbing down the human race.  Common Sense is not too common anymore.  We rely way way too much on technology.

Computers, cell phones, internet, Google, Pretty much all national news outlets, the public school system, The France family, The Kardashians, and this week Bill Cosby are all ruining our society.

Nobody accepts responsibility for their actions anymore.

Bumpy yard=tractor shuts off

Lean over to drive under a branch=tractor shuts off

Get off to open a gate=tractor shuts off

Get off to clear a branch from the running mower deck=tractor shuts off....well that one could have been a good life lesson.  lol

Reverse kill switches for mowers is another pet peeve!  Everytime I backup to do a three point turn when mowing, every time I mow that tight corner of the yard and have to back up, ...

Ya ya ya...I know....might back over a baby....guess what....Self Responsibility.

Off my soap box now.  :wacko:

21 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

21 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

You should love this. I have two college degrees in Safety, a BS in Industrial Safety and a Masters in Safety Management. I took additional training that the OSHA Institute in Arlington Heights Illinois. I have worked in Occupational Safety (employee safety) for decades. That is what I do for a living now.

BTW: Yes, I am good at what I do. That does not mean in my personal life I agree with every safety measure I encounter!

All that said I hate those seat safety switches. They really blow when you are driving on rough terrain!

You sir, are a twisted man!  Kind of like the IRS agent who doesn't pay his income taxes!  :lol:

• Like 2

Uncle Buck

LOL, at the end of the day, I still look at practicality VS the nanny state.  Your reasons for bypassing that device are the same as mine too. As a young guy I saw several adults do things with riding mowers that looked stupid when I was watching them. I figure that switch in particular is for some of those guys and not me. I have a solid grasp on unsafe actions and work hard to not do the kind of stupid things that switch is intended to guard against.

But ya, I will admit. My attitude is a bit maverick for a professional safety geek! LOL

Bumpy yard=tractor shuts off

Lean over to drive under a branch=tractor shuts off

Get off to open a gate=tractor shuts off

Get off to clear a branch from the running mower deck=tractor shuts off....