slammer302

Tiny Tach

slammer302

Has anybody used the tiny tach on their wheel horse or other outdoor equipment. They seem compact and have built in hour meter job timer and I think sum have a service reminder. They are priced around $50 on eBay. 

Dennys502

They are good. We used them on all of our test units.

• Like 1

formariz

I have used several for quite a few years now. Great tool to have and accurate. The complaint I have is that if you have them for a few years , eventually the internal non replaceable battery dies and then that is it for it. I have opened some of my units which is not easy and replaced the battery which is encased in epoxy. It has worked but of course they are no longer waterproof.

There is now a knock off of them that have a replaceable battery and cost substantially less. I will see if I find the link for them.

• Like 5

W9JAB

Very good unit, accurate, self powered, one wire,

around spark wire and a ground.

Be sure to get the correct one for you motor,

some motors fire every revolution, some

every other revolution.

WHX??

Would be handy for setting idle & 3600 limit! Also for keeping track of hours between oil.

Edited by WHX11

formariz

Expanding a little on my original reply, one of the reasons I wanted to use them was also as an hour meter specially on NOS engines which I put to service. That feature however was disappointing because like I mentioned, eventually the battery goes, and so does the memory even though I managed to change battery. As for using it to keep track of hours between oil changes it is not really that convenient for it, since it cannot be reset, so one would always have to keep a log of the hours on it. For that purpose i have another type similar to it, that all it does is specifically that, and it is able to be reset. Will post photo of it later.

Also the newer models one can "program" it for different type of engines depending how engine fires. Found them to be sometimes hard to program and even after that not accurate. I have a couple of Kohlers for which  I was actually never able to program it. The older versions were better in my opinion, since they were designed for a particular type engine, so they were fool proof.

IMG_0619.JPG.f8bdf7caa534e4b9d63bedff9396aff4.JPG

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

slammer302

I think I'm going to buy one I will let everyone know how it goes

oliver2-44

I have a newer knockoff that I haven't been able to program the engine type ...disappointing!

Walleye

I have a Tiny Tach. Contact them directly. They have a special version specifically for Kohler K series that is not compatible with other engines, and the other versions are not compatible with Kohler K series. Price is the same. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Got  a contact address Walleye?

Walleye

Yes sir! I will also post our conversation if it will help others out.

heather@tinytach.com

Me: Hi Heather, I was curious, what is the difference between the Tiny Tach TT2A and TT2B? Is one just a later revision or are there functional differences? I have a few Kohler K series engines that I am rebuilding and tuning, and I need a tach. Which model number do I need?

Heather: The 2A is adjustable for different cylinder engines. The 2B was designed for use on single cylinder engines, and does not work on some motors. There are some guys who just do the math (double the RPM number or whatever) if they are using a 2B on something else. Neither the 2A nor the 2B will work on Kohler K engines (they will just freeze up) because of the points & noise from those Kohler K's. You would need model 4C for Kohler K engines. You can order the regular 2A on our website - just put in the comments at the end of your order "NEED 4C FOR KOHLER K." Price is the
same.

Me: Thank you Heather. Will the 4C work on other non-Kohler engines if I wanted to use it on them?

Heather: Only true 4-stroke engines.
Edited by Walleye
  • Like 1

WHX??

Thanks Walleye 

cschannuth

I got one for $25 from PullingTractor@aol.com. It's Chinese but works well.  He's the same gent who makes the solid cradle mounts that replace the late 70's rubber mounts.

My 314-8 was always underpowered and I suspected it was down on max RPMs. I installed the tach temporarily and sure enough. It was only maxing out at about 2900 RPMs. I adjusted it to just under 3600 and it obviously made a huge difference. 

Edited by cschannuth
sp
  • Like 1