Big_Red_Fred

516H Onan

Big_Red_Fred

I just bought this 516H today, Tuesday June 20th, It ran Fine at a Collectors home in Dover Pa, tiny bit of rust, i'm hoping for a easy Build, Took it to a friends home, went to mow to see how it cut, under load after a hour it started Dieseling, up & down RPM, so i backed out of it and it smoothed out, it was never serviced in a while, Wednesday ill try a tune up & new fuel line & filter, this Onan doesn't have a Oil Filter ? Thought they all did, the collector said this model was only built 1 year ? What are your thoughts ? Bad Governor ? Bad gas ? or over all tune up, Newbie Big Red Fred putting out the call who is ever home & not hauln to the big show

0620171812.jpg

0620171839a.jpg

0620171841.jpg

woodchuckfarmer

A lot of times its a dirty carb. Cleaning might help.     Wayne

• Like 2

varosd

Onan carbs are notorious for being easy to get gummed up.  easy to take top part of carb off, pull needle valves, float etc.  carb cleaner, compressed air.

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred

Its still on the trailer, i'll run it to work, clean it up, another thing, when i pull the stick back for reverse, it goes, but not very fast or is that the way a hydo works ? The fluid is clean, but im still replacing every thing. He was off 74 Varosd, by that soft pretzel place, he has a pile of wheel horses, young man too

Thanks Wayne, i'll dig into the carb, engine is filthy, lot of chicken droppings on it, i wanted a 500 series, Old Kid i am

Jerry77

You will need to adjust the hydro set up...should run fast in reverse also..no oil filter on the engine or filter on the tranny - it has the eaton 700 hydro which will be fine for mowing but not strong enough for implements...carb is probably dirty - sea foam would probably do wonders for it - run some thru and let it soak..might not have to rebuild the carb.. and put new spark plugs in it too...the surging you quoted could be a dirty carb or dirty fuel system, or weak fuel pump or just low on gas - it will surge when the tank gets real low... I ended up putting an electric fuel pump on mine..the original pump wouldn't keep up with the demand on the engine.....look in the manuals section to find the direction for adjusting the hydro..not a big job but hard to explain - manual has pics and all....I have a 516 that I really like, but needed for implements, so I put an 1100 eaton in it - really strong...516 is good tractor...and yes, it was only built in 1988...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

cleat
7 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

You will need to adjust the hydro set up...should run fast in reverse also..no oil filter on the engine or filter on the tranny - it has the eaton 700 hydro which will be fine for mowing but not strong enough for implements...carb is probably dirty - sea foam would probably do wonders for it - run some thru and let it soak..might not have to rebuild the carb.. and put new spark plugs in it too...the surging you quoted could be a dirty carb or dirty fuel system, or weak fuel pump or just low on gas - it will surge when the tank gets real low... I ended up putting an electric fuel pump on mine..the original pump wouldn't keep up with the demand on the engine.....look in the manuals section to find the direction for adjusting the hydro..not a big job but hard to explain - manual has pics and all....I have a 516 that I really like, but needed for implements, so I put an 1100 eaton in it - really strong...516 is good tractor...and yes, it was only built in 1988...:twocents-02cents:

That is odd. I have 2 16HP Onan engines out of 416's and they both have oil filters.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Operator manual and links to others

Garry

• Like 1

Jerry77
2 hours ago, cleat said:

That is odd. I have 2 16HP Onan engines out of 416's and they both have oil filters

Wheel horse really cheaped out on the 516/518 - splash oil and eaton 700.....Europe  got the best ones.....:(

Big_Red_Fred

Can you buy a adapter to bolt on side to run a Oil Filter ?, I have many friends at Cummins, i will chat with them since Cummins has Onan engines, maybe they can help a Old Boy out ?

Big_Red_Fred

I have a old Maxon liftgate at the shop, it has a filter system on it, i will take a pic & post , if id run it off the oil pressure switch down to the drain, that should be full pressure lube ? Or am i wrong ?

Big_Red_Fred

And after thinking what i wrote about a Oil filter wont work with splash system ;-) Hee Haw

I didnt get a Manuel for the 516H, hope theres 1 at Big Show 

onanparts.com
On 6/21/2017 at 6:30 PM, Big_Red_Fred said:

And after thinking what i wrote about a Oil filter wont work with splash system ;-) Hee Haw

I didnt get a Manuel for the 516H, hope theres 1 at Big Show 

All of the Onan P-series engines, Performer P216, P218, P220 & P224 came with oil filters standard. All Onan twins found in tractors are full pressure lubed. Take another look Big_Red, the oil filter is on the fuel pump side and sits flush with the side cover tin. 

ericj

the 88 516 DID NOT come with an oil filter, and from what I've seen it can not be added, my 516 that I had at the big show for sale, but now have decided to keep has a black rubber blank cover at the filter location. Not sure why it didn't have a filter, but I have seen several 516 and none have had the filter. 

eric j

onanparts.com
15 hours ago, ericj said:

the 88 516 DID NOT come with an oil filter, and from what I've seen it can not be added, my 516 that I had at the big show for sale, but now have decided to keep has a black rubber blank cover at the filter location. Not sure why it didn't have a filter, but I have seen several 516 and none have had the filter. 

eric j

I did find two Onan production orders for Wheel Horse with the oil filter deleted. Onan model P216G-I/10538B & P216G-I/10691B,  Very rare, as already stated filters were standard on all the P series from 1987 and up. There "should" be a block off plate bolted to the block. If removed, the oil filter adapter, part # 122-0814 can be installed. It will bolt right up. Only reason to omit the filter is possibly a clearance issue due to the engine mounting location? Difficult or impossible to remove/replace it. If so, that's a lousy engineering design! However, if there are no clearance problems then adding the filter would be a no brainer. :)

P216G_I_10538Bs1.jpg

P216G_I_10691Bs1.jpg

All Onan production orders I have located so far are here:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/63296-onan-engine-unit-production-orders/#comment-597935

onan1220814.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The 1988 516-H and the 1988-1990 316-8 exported models had the deleted oil filter.

Garry

Onan p216 without oil filter SS.jpg

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Id sure like a Full Pressure Lube System, i missed the Big Show, Being a 1 Man Diesel Mechanic makes it hard, i seen the traffic heading towards Pittsburg, Pa, I wanted Info on my 516H, If i write that part number down & go to Cummins, maybe they can get 1 for me ? Son went to get The 417-8 out so i shot this pic, Hey its a Parade ! ;-) 5952e24fcc5e5_0625171225(1).jpg.cb46c71525b48f337c8f77c4e572063c.jpg

onanparts.com

New filter adapters discontinued long ago. Used ones available. First, can you make out the Onan ID sticker info on the top of the engine shroud? If so, what are the full model and spec numbers? Second, pull the plastic plug from the side cover and take a look. Can you see the block off plate? Two bolts holding it. Should be an oil sensor screwed into the plate.

Big_Red_Fred

I saw the sensor, i will bring home my snapon scope to see better around the corner, didnt have my lite, tried to get my hand in the hole but to large, its at my sons home, check it out & send you the numbers, thanks. I always thought too they came with a filter, My Miller 170 stick welder at my shop has a 20hp onan with a filter

ericj

the several P216 on the 88 516's that I've seen didn't have the block off plate, looked like the motor block was cast with out  the possibility of adding the filter. I have several adapters that I could bolt on, but was very disappointed to see it wasn't possible. will double check again

eric j