tbirdsteve

520H starter motor

tbirdsteve

G'day All, I have a question about my 1993 520H with Onan P220g engine. It seems the starter motor has decided to retire. In order to purchase a new motor or repair parts from the web, I need a model number. The decal showing the model number is damaged right where the last 2 numbers are (murphys law). Can anyone tell me what model it might be?? The solenoid is fine but the motor itself turns for a few seconds, slows then stops (just in case anyone has an idea what the problem might be). I have opened it up, cleaned it out, brushes are good, armature checks out ok.

Thanks in advance. 

DSCF7457.JPG

rmaynard

I can't tell you the model number, but I'm sure others will jump in with the correct info. However, I'd suggest that you just go to eBay and search Onan P220 starter. You will find lots of choices, new, used, rebuilt, etc. with prices to fit any budget.

• Like 1

lynnmor

Have a voltmeter on the starter and check the voltage as it slows and stops.  The problem may be something other than the starter.

• Like 1

oldlineman

No sure but from your picture the last two numbers look like 04 worth a chance and try using them.

• Like 1

EricF

Do yourself a favor and check all the wiring connections that the starter draws power through -- especially the grounds. Poor grounding may allow the initial voltage through to operate the solenoid and spin the starter, but the load increases as it works against the engine's compression. Voltage (and starter speed) may drop when the current won't flow because of a bad connection or ground.

• Like 1

boomers_influence

tbird

the starter # is 191-1949-04.

191-1808-04 is the prior #

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy,also NOS and new)

• Like 1

tbirdsteve

Thank you All, it is indeed an 04 model once it was pointed out. Appreciate all your replies and will follow all advice.

Boomer I may contact you in future as the next step is removing the flywheel for inspection. There are many small pieces of magnetic metal stuck to the shroud so I would guess the magnets on the flywheel have self destructed. Just out of curiousity, are the magnets available separately? I see lots of videos on youtube about gluing magnets but google is unable to locate magnets as spares. 

Many thanks,

Steve. 

PS I haven't seen this motor run yet, although I was assured it does, but i'm tending to think more a case of it did. I'm restoring this tractor to use. 

DSCF7414.JPG

Edited by tbirdsteve