12 hp Kohler

looks great ! 

• Like 2

Sparky

Well done!

Mike....

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

You did a nice job on that. How long did it take to restore?

SylvanLakeWH

:bow-blue:

Rob R
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

You did a nice job on that. How long did it take to restore?

2 pretty complete weeks just prior to winter surrendering to spring........

857 horse

I gave a SS12 to an old man,,he bought one new in 67,,,,,the is gonna be his last hurrah,,,,,,,,,,This machine looks fantastic,,,,,,,,,Great job !!!!!!

• Like 1

Terry M

Nothing wrong with that!!!  Very Nice Tractor:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Digger 66

Very cool tractor .

Thanks for keeping it alive !

• Like 1

6bg6ga

You simply cannot fault someone for bringing something back from the dead. Its a great job. Well done.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Great tractors!  Under appreciated I think. 

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

When I bought my house in 1986, I got the tractor the PO had, I eventually sunk $600 into an engine rebuild but found out later a short block would have been better. Even after that, the Teccy was gutless or perhaps the tractor wasted a bunch of power during transfer of power to the mower. I constantly had to tinker with the points and other issues. The guy who helped with messing about with the Sears became a lifelong friend, so that is much more important than how well the tractor worked out. I finally got tired of messing with it and bought a 416-8

I am glad you have a big 15 HP thumper in yours--so much better than what I had

They are solid tractors, however and they weigh in about 600# Mine looked like this

. https://www.google.com/search?q=sears+suburban&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjErZeNqszUAhWG6CYKHUCRD9cQsAQILg&biw=1170&bih=658#imgrc=e2AWcy4VWNAa1M:

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

Rob R
4 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

When I bought my house in 1986, I got the tractor the PO had, I eventually sunk $600 into an engine rebuild but found out later a short block would have been better. Even after that, the Teccy was gutless or perhaps the tractor wasted a bunch of power during transfer of power to the mower. I constantly had to tinker with the points and other issues. The guy who helped with messing about with the Sears became a lifelong friend, so that is much more important than how well the tractor worked out. I finally got tired of messing with it and bought a 416-8

I am glad you have a big 15 HP thumper in yours--so much better than what I had

They are solid tractors, however and they weigh in about 600# Mine looked like this

. https://www.google.com/search?q=sears+suburban&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjErZeNqszUAhWG6CYKHUCRD9cQsAQILg&biw=1170&bih=658#imgrc=e2AWcy4VWNAa1M:

I am partial to the transmissions and scissors deck which are both "Bullet Proof" .... weak points were the carbs and ignition on the 120 Tecumsehs....  but as you can see I have a Honda transplant in the 12 and the ole B&S Thumper in the 15.   Will put either one against any tractor made .... and I love my C-81 and the Gt14. 

• Like 1

Ken B

That came out real nice. What colors did you use for the paint? They look like a perfect match. I have had many of the SS Suburban tractors. I had a blue one like yours that was a MINT low hr machine. It had the 12hp Techy on it and it was anything but gutless, it ran perfect. I wish I still had that one. Like Dennis said, I would agree that these tractors are under appreciated. I always have an eye out for another one...

DennisThornton

From the not cast but heavy duty front axel to their durable 2 spd rears they meant business.  And the spring seat is the best ride I have!  I think they had as many attachments as Wheel Horse or even more.  I smile when I use one or see one but not because they look great.  I think when it comes to looks Wheel Horse wins big time.  But I still love 'em!

• Like 2

Rob R
1 hour ago, Ken B said:

That came out real nice. What colors did you use for the paint? They look like a perfect match. I have had many of the SS Suburban tractors. I had a blue one like yours that was a MINT low hr machine. It had the 12hp Techy on it and it was anything but gutless, it ran perfect. I wish I still had that one. Like Dennis said, I would agree that these tractors are under appreciated. I always have an eye out for another one...

Ken you and Dennis are right on......The original Suburban "blue" color you refer to is "Jade Mist" which is no longer available. The closest match I have ever found is the "Hammered" finish Rust-Oleum 712 Verde Green. I prefer the Rust-Oleum Gloss Almond to any "White" and this is what I use..... of course a good prep and clean is a must and I always to prime with a good "etching" primer prior to apply the aforementioned paint. My goal is have a durable "decent" machine which is put to work as soon as completed...... there are NO trailer queens here...........

• Like 1

slim67
10 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

From the not cast but heavy duty front axel to their durable 2 spd rears they meant business.  And the spring seat is the best ride I have!  I think they had as many attachments as Wheel Horse or even more.  I smile when I use one or see one but not because they look great.  I think when it comes to looks Wheel Horse wins big time.  But I still love 'em!

dennis, based on the amount you have listed,we can see you definitely love tractors:ychain: and you certainly know how to pick 'em !

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, slim67 said:

dennis, based on the amount you have listed,we can see you definitely love tractors:ychain: and you certainly know how to pick 'em !

You must have excellent tastes! B)

I haven't listed them all.  24 at last count but some aren't quite complete and some I shouldn't counted at all yet huhBUT they good pretty quickly be deserving.  Sorry to say not a Cub, Deere or Ariens among them.  Obviously I've failed to some extent but I'm not dead yet! 

slim67
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

You must have excellent tastes! B)

I haven't listed them all.  24 at last count but some aren't quite complete and some I shouldn't counted at all yet huhBUT they good pretty quickly be deserving.  Sorry to say not a Cub, Deere or Ariens among them.  Obviously I've failed to some extent but I'm not dead yet! 

The power king and jim dandy are some of my favorites. All of those on the list Id take. The Simplicity is a good one too but I really like the older units that were also badged for allis-chalmers.

Dakota8338

Most definitely a nice looking unit finished.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Very nice job you did.       :bow-blue:

Glenn

• Like 1

Rob R

Made one final change to complete this beast.....  I didn't have the stock "removable" side grille for this tractor and they are hard to come-by so..... I made a removable extension parted from an old broken grille I had in my stash. Think it came out workable.... leave to your discretion.....?   cheers 

Sears Suburban SS15 (4).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (5).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (6).JPG

• Like 7

Chris G

I'll say wow! That is a good turn around on that one. Looks great

• Like 1