Colby

Charger 12

Colby

Hey all. I'm having trouble finding information for a problem I'm having. I just got my charger 12 running again. (Engine swap) and after driving it around some this week I have no brakes. Don't know what it was like before as I bought it with a blown engine. But shouldnt it stop when you shift it to neutral? Thanks!

• Like 1

wholdguy

Colby,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your brake is the pedal on the left side, which will move your hydro lever to neutral position.

Or when you move the hydro lever slowly to neutral the wheel horse should coast to a stop.

Does this help?

G.

Digger 66
53 minutes ago, Colby said:

Hey all. I'm having trouble finding information for a problem I'm having. I just got my charger 12 running again. (Engine swap) and after driving it around some this week I have no brakes. Don't know what it was like before as I bought it with a blown engine. But shouldnt it stop when you shift it to neutral? Thanks!

Welcome aboard !

Colby

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. It does coast to a stop. Eventually lol. Grass isn't too bad but it's scary how far it will roll at full speed to neutral on pavement. Plus or minus ten feet. Is that within the normal range?

wholdguy

Colby-

I find that I mostly use that brake pedal to stop and it should stop quickly, moving only a few feet.  It your brake pedal does not work like this, maybe you will need to make some adjustment to it.

I'm sure someone on the forum can describe how to adjust the brake.  I have never done this.

G.

Colby

@wholdguy I also use,the brake pedal to,shift to neutral with the same result. Thanks for your help it is,appreciated 

formariz

I think something may not be right. I have an Elecro12 which is essentially the same tractor. Moving lever backwards when going forward it stops rather quick.Less than two feet. As a matter of fact if you move it back enough it will immediately go on reverse almost breaking your neck. Have also a C120 with same hydro which acts exactly the same.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Colby :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Colby

Lol thanks guys for the welcomes! @formariz I suspected the same. If I bump it into reverse it stops fine. It engages forward and reverse fine. Spins the tires when parked against something solid. I don't care for hydrostat but this one seems to be awfully solid other than not wanting to stop. My friends gt14 stops rather quick when u put it in neutral. That is why I am concerned lol

953 nut

:WRS:             Hope this manual will help you out.

formariz

I believe that on yours the pedal on the left side only places lever in neutral position, it's really not a brake. I am not sure about the GT 14, but I also have a c165, that that same pedal is also a brake. It has an actual brake band.

There is really no brake on the Charger 12.

• Like 3

Tim.0

Thanks for the info I was wondering I had no brake on my charger 12. Something I have not got to yet as have not had the time to keep working on it.

Thanks Tim O