Lablan

New starter chewing up new flywheel -- HELP needed

Lablan

On a 1992-1996 520H wheel horse lawn tractor, I have replaced the starter motor and flywheel. I also replaced the coil, condenser, plugs and wires. After all that was done, the tractor started first time cranked and I mowed the 1 acre yard one time. When I went back to mow again it would not start and I see the starter motor is now chewing up the flywheel gears. The new flywheel now has severe burring on the engine side. It looks like the starter is not fully engaging into the flywheel. The mounting bolts have a thick washer. Are those washers supposed to be spacers between the engine and the starter motor, thus moving the nose of the starter closer in toward the flywheel? Am I doing something else wrong?

5947ef7786fbf_1911949041.jpg.5a29946f1fbe32d7265e3aa742e5a87b.jpg 

slammer302

Went through this before try adding a thin washer between the starter and engine block were starter bolts up fixed mine after I replaced starter and flywheel and it was still eating flywheel so I tried shimming with washers and it worked

• Like 2

6bg6ga
35 minutes ago, slammer302 said:

Went through this before try adding a thin washer between the starter and engine block were starter bolts up fixed mine after I replaced starter and flywheel and it was still eating flywheel so I tried shimming with washers and it worked

Excellent!!

Lablan

Thank You Slammer 302. I think I will have to pull off the blower shroud to be able to see the bolts to place the washers. Thanks again for all comments.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Duramax7man7
      By Duramax7man7
      Very Solid tractor! Starts right up and Runs and Cuts like a Champ! 

ONLY 419hrs

FEATURES:
      Newer Agro Tires on Rear & Solid Front Turf Tires.
      Wheel Weights on rear.
      Fully Swapped Forward Swept axle and Steering off of 520h.
      New Tractor Supply Adjustable Seat.
      Exhaust Fully Restored. (Sandblasted, Outgassed and 2000deg High Temp Satin Exhaust Paint Coated.)

I ran my 60" Deck on this tractor for over a year with no issues. 
      Deck it solid top to bottom with no rot and newer blades. Belt and Pulley are good to go! 
      She's just a little dusty and needs a cleaning. Can get a nice Seat a Tractor Supply. 

Asking >>>>> $1,099 OBO <<<<<<< 

(248) 943-8634 Text or Call.  God Bless. 

• Duramax7man7
      By Duramax7man7
      Very Solid tractor!

Newer Agro Tires on Rear and Solid Front Turf Tires. Wheel Weights on rear. Fully Swapped Forward Swept axle off of 520h. I ran my 60" Deck on this tractor for over a year with no issues. 
      Deck it solid top to bottom with no rot and newer blades. Belt and Pulley are good to go! 
      She's just a little dusty and needs a cleaning. Can get a nice Seat a Tractor Supply. 

$1175 OBO   -POOS

(248) 9for3-8six3four Text or Call. I do not visit this site enough. God Bless. 

NEW SEAT INSTALLED ON THIS TRACTOR! Started it up and ran it for a while yesterday... Forgot how nice this thing is. Tempting to keep it but it's time to send her one her way. GREAT TRACTOR! 

• lsc1257
      By lsc1257
      I have a 1996 520H Wheel Horse for sale.  The tractor has just over 800 hours on it.  It comes with a 48 inch deck.  The deck is a 1995 and has over 1,500 hours on it, as it came brand new with my 312-8 that I sold several years ago.  This 520-H has the swept front axle so it can handle a 60 inch deck.  I just replaced the battery and the deck belt this summer.  The engine is a 20HP Onan and it starts right up but requires the full choke.  The transmission is an Eaton 1100-062, hydrostatic.  The deck is in rough shape but the spindles appear to be in good working order.  The right rear tire has some cracking.  The original operator's manual for the 520H is included, as is the original operating and maintenance instructions for the deck, plus the installation instructions for the deck.  Also included is a new PTO belt and several miscellaneous deck wheels and rollers.  Additional pictures available upon request.  Asking $500.

• jebeli
      By jebeli
      So I have an old and tired K161 with an electric start. I picked up a K181 at the show but is a pull start. I swapped the flywheels and the cowling wont fit over the plate behind the flywheel. And the recoil tin has a smaller hole compared to the electric start. So if I swap the plates behind the flywheel does the crank shaft bearing come of to? Do I have to press this back in? Maybe I should just find a k181 elec start tin?
    • Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      Onan model BF-MS2425A Engine for parts. This engine pulled from NOS Bolens QT16 tractor that sat for 40+ years. Engine has less than 25 hours on it. Engine currently stuck. Local pick up in  Easton  MA.  $49  or offer.