cschannuth

Father's Day Storm Clean Up

cschannuth

We had some straight line winds in east central Missouri overnight that were more than the 20 year old Bradford Pear could stand. The boys opted to pull large chunks of the tree to the ravine with the golf cart because "it's faster". I opted for the C-161 because it's one of my favorites.  My wife sneaked a few pics. 

image.jpeg.7bf9371872155322dac9c651d140f2ce.jpegimage.jpeg.acd505ea420196029157e4418bfbf80a.jpegimage.jpeg.09954c8a76589c57783ebf65177566bd.jpeg

• Like 7

Ken B

Looks like you got in a little seat time... Nice to see you didn't lose the whole tree. That looks to be a real nice C-161, and you have yourself a nice piece of property there.:thumbs:

• Like 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, cschannuth said:

more than the 20 year old Bradford Pear could stand.

Seat time   :handgestures-thumbupright:     The Bradfords are very popular in western NC too. I try to top mine out every few years to keep them short, The older ones on the property are very susceptible to limb loss like yours was.

• Like 1

T-Mo

Craig, I'm glad you guys are okay.  From the weather reports, they were predicting wide spread damage, but we just got rain and some thunder and lightening down where I live southeast of you.  Nothing major here.

• Like 1

cschannuth
17 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

Craig, I'm glad you guys are okay.  From the weather reports, they were predicting wide spread damage, but we just got rain and some thunder and lightening down where I live southeast of you.  Nothing major here.

Thanks. I was surprised to see the tree down. We had some rain but the wind didn't seem all that bad. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Bradford Pears are pretty but not very strong nor long lived.

• Like 2

cschannuth

Agreed. We were lucky this one lasted as long as it did. 

• Like 1

TDF5G

We had strong storms in KC area for about 4 nights in a row, most severe was Friday night and another Saturday night.  Lots of power outages around the area.

T-Mo
On 6/19/2017 at 0:56 PM, TDF5G said:

We had strong storms in KC area for about 4 nights in a row, most severe was Friday night and another Saturday night.  Lots of power outages around the area.

I hope there wasn't too much damage.  It seems like the western part of Missouri gets severely impacted by storms a lot, more so than the eastern part of the state.  The EF-5 that hit Joplin May 22, 2011, comes to mind.

• Like 1

TDF5G

As far as I know, there wasn't very severe damage.  Mostly tree limbs and signs.  I did see pics of a few completely toppled trees.  Here is a local pic I saw on Facebook. This is near where I live.  I've never seen one go over like this, pulling up the sod like that! :o

19366471_1362657127115748_9061035817915050247_n.jpg

Edited by TDF5G

Dakota8338

What a waste of the wood.  Bradford Pear wood is excellent for smoking and bar-b-quing!  

Edited by Dakota8338
grammer

cschannuth

Agreed. I took down the rest of the tree and have a nice stack of it in my wood pile. 

cschannuth

Believe it or not my other 20 year old Bradford Pear got hit by straight line winds close to Father’s Day again but one year later. I was prepared to drag it to the neighbors ravine again and cut the tightly tangled branches into small enough pieces to be able to throw them in the ditch.  That’s when my son got the bright idea to use the just finished FEL to push the four large trunks in the ditch. Each was about 25’ long/tall and 12” diameter at the stump.  I was a little concerned since I don’t have the leaks fixed yet but it held just fine and did a great job with the heavy tree. My son snuck a video of it in action. 

71A613EB-0B75-43FF-97F9-848645A5E48A.mov

0405EA6B-02B0-4ADA-9E5B-F63CDA8972B4.jpeg.437fad6a0eefad6e5fda595d6974632b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

T-Mo

Nice work, Craig.  Those loaders can come in handy.

• Thanks 1

wh500special

I hate to lose trees.   Always a disappointment.   

But there’s no love lost for Bradford Pears.   They’re pretty trees and are everywhere in suburbia, but they have their issues.   Namely, weak branches and trunks that are very susceptible to wind damage.  

I snapped off an 8” diameter tree trunk when thI ROPS on my zero turn snagged in the branches.   Didn’t even feel it and had no idea the tree was laying on the ground until I spun around for the next pass. 

The Bradford Pear also has become a bit of a nuisance invasive species:  https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/avoid-invasive-trees-such-bradford-pear-landscape-plantings

definately not horrible like those darn bush honeysuckle, but there are issues.  

Cut those suckers down 🙄

And remember, the best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. 

Steve

• Like 1