Amcwheel85

C81 tie rod length?

Amcwheel85

My daughters C81 has had very bad toe out and I'm wanting to fix it. I'm thinking these tie rods are to short measure 10 inches. So are they right? Looks like I need atleast half inch on each one. If these are not the right ones I will be putting wanted ad out for longer tie rods. Thanks for any info guys!

rmaynard

The tie-rods for the C-81 are part number 78-2900. Because it is adjustable, that single part number is good for either side. The overall length is approximately 10". However, that will vary due to the adjustabilty of the length to correct toe-in. Mine are approximately 9-7/8", but can be adjusted from about 8-1/2" to 10-1/2".

trod.jpg.c3d6ff3e92d26f072dc6ac0c707c8a28.jpg

• Like 3

Amcwheel85

Well mine measure 10 but it has crazy toe out.. is there something I could be doing wrong? Adding 1/2 inch to both tie rods would maybe make it perfect 

ericj

check the tabs on the spindle were the tie rods mount to. when you hit something hard enough or at the right angle it usually bends the tabs. don't ask me how I know this. I was backing one of my tractors off the trailer at a show and got caught between the trailer and my big D200 and knocked the toe way out. I ended up pulling the front tire for access and using a big adjustable wrench was able to get it back semi-close. I've also replaced the spindle in the past to get them straightened out. adjustable tie rods can over come the bent tab but you should get it close and fine tune it with the adjustment.

eric j

• Like 2

rmaynard

@Amcwheel85 are yours not adjustable? I'm not sure what year Wheel Horse started using the adjustable ones, but the C-101 that I owned briefly had them, and they looked to be original.

Like Eric said, first check for damage to the spindle arms or spindles themselves.

• Like 1

Amcwheel85

Well before I sapped axle upside down to lower it, it had a good amount of tie out, but I just swapped it back(for now until I get engine mounts for lowered stance) and now it's even worse then original. I checked everything over and I guess I don't see anything broke or put on wrong.. I will take some pics tonight.

gwest_ca

Try switching them left and right. The non-adjustable style have a left and a right. Mounting them on the opposite side of the front steering shaft/arm will change the toe-in.

Garry

• Like 2