Popasmurf

What do I really have?

Popasmurf

I'm new here.  Thank in advance for any help given.

i was given a wheel horse Commando 8.  

The model # doesn't match anything I can find, (14851).

Everything I find showed a Koehler engine... I don't believe this has a Koehler.

i would like to get this running again. It needs a new carb.IMG_4205.JPG.951a1c3e51e65dd74e3ef6be1263406d.JPG

gwest_ca

Is the serial number 713752?

Here is a 1969 manual

Garry

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Popasmurf :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:WRS:

Image result for poppa smurf welcome gif

• Like 1

Popasmurf

😂😂😂😊

gwest_ca : that's it...  thanks so much! I've been looking for this for four years!:bow-blue:

• Like 1

Popasmurf

So how do I figure out what I have for a motor? I don't think it's a Koehler unit...  I could be wrong. The drive pully comes out of the bottom of the motor. 

It came with a mower deck and snow thrower. The last owner of our home left it behind. I'm looking for any attachments that might work with it . I.e. Tiller, dozer blade, plow... anything else that might work.

thanks

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: Your model # says it it is a Kohler powered unit. 

1-4851 1970 Lawn & Garden Tractor Commando V8 4-Speed Kohler KV181S-37116B 8 Wheel Horse 5066

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:     The "V: in V8 stands for vertical crank shaft and many of them came with a Tecumseh and there is no telling what a previous owner may have put in it if the engine went bad.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Click on this link above...yours looks like this one? 

• Like 1

Popasmurf
53 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:confusion-shrug: Your model # says it it is a Kohler powered unit. 

1-4851 1970 Lawn & Garden Tractor Commando V8 4-Speed Kohler KV181S-37116B 8 Wheel Horse 5066

Mine is a 3 speed, the motor doesn't say Kohler any place on it.  

I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow.  

Thanks for all the help

45 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: Click on this link above...yours looks like this one? 

My unit has headlights, the hitch is different, and my motor is different.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Popasmurf :WRS: Enjoy your tractor. Good help here as you can see.

• Like 1

Popasmurf

Ok gang, here are some pictures of my tractor. I hope it helps figure out what I really have so I abc order a new carb and get her running.  

Thanks.

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_4219.JPG

IMG_4220.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

Popasmurf

Here is the info off the motor if anyone can figure out what the motor is and what I need to know to order a new carb and spark plug. Everything else seems to work as it turns over just fine. IMG_4225.JPG.bd49f6b129f9ab6abb0b65c69a52eb65.JPG

• Like 1

pfrederi

It is a Tecumseh vertical shaft 8hp.  To get parts you need the VH80 and 148001

Serial # also

Do you have spark when it turns over??  If not hold off on spending money on a carb.  If you have no spark then the solid state ignition may have gone bad.  it is expensive to replace. I would check that out before i dropped money on a carb as you may decide to replace teh engine.  If you are mechanically/electrically inclined are some work arounds to replace the Solid state ignition. You have to research on teh web.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

Popasmurf
13 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

It is a Tecumseh vertical shaft 8hp.  To get parts you need the VH80 and 148001

Serial # also

Do you have spark when it turns over??  If not hold off on spending money on a carb.  If you have no spark then the solid state ignition may have gone bad.  it is expensive to replace. I would check that out before i dropped money on a carb as you may decide to replace teh engine.  If you are mechanically/electrically inclined are some work arounds to replace the Solid state ignition. You have to research on teh web.

I need to find a spark plug that fits the motor and give that a try. 

Thanks! 

pfrederi

Just about any plug will work for the test just lay it on teh engine no need to screw it in

I believe you need autolite 456.

• Like 1

diesel cowboy
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Just about any plug will work for the test just lay it on teh engine no need to screw it in

I believe you need autolite 456.

There's something in the back of my mind that I can't quite remember about the solid state ignition and the spark plug.  It's either leave the plug in and use an inline tester to check spark or it's don't pull the plug wire to kill a running engine.  Not sure which one and I don't have my Tecky books handy right now to look it up.  Maybe somebody could look in their service book and verify that.

• Like 1

pfrederi

I would think that the ignition wouldn't know if the plug was screwed in or just grounded to the head. F0r external sold state systems the manual says the only test is to pull the plug wire and check for spark.  Another type cautions not to remove the primary wire when cranking...

• Like 1

Popasmurf

After following all the wires and finding a lose connection..... Houston... we have ignition.. lol we now have a good strong spark.   Now the search for a new carb is on. The old one is packed with oxidation.  🙁

Then I will be looking for a dozer blade and tiller. 

Edited by Popasmurf
Misspelling
  • Like 2

Popasmurf

I found a new carb. The company service folks were extreamly helpful in every way possible!  The price was amazing at $13.95... 

IMG_4235.PNG

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Nice looking V8 you have there...had one identical to it for a while. Very capable machine for only being 8HP and a vertical shaft. The Tecumseh can be a bit finicky to get running just right, but with a little patience and tinkering you should be able to have her running like new again...and :WRS:

FB_IMG_1498013265744.jpg

• Like 3

Popasmurf
11 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

Nice looking V8 you have there...had one identical to it for a while. Very capable machine for only being 8HP and a vertical shaft. The Tecumseh can be a bit finicky to get running just right, but with a little patience and tinkering you should be able to have her running like new again...and :WRS:

FB_IMG_1498013265744.jpg

I'm working on the mower deck and need 2 new pulleys if anyone has any idea where to find them that would be a huge help. Thanks

IMG_4243.JPG

RedRanger

You might just try sanding/polishing those.  They don't look too bad, unless they are very pitted or bent?

I'd sand blast them or hit them with a wire wheel and see what they look like.

Rough surface will eat belts, but if you can get the rust off  and sand/polish/wire brush the belt surface, they might work fine.

• Like 1

Popasmurf
1 hour ago, RedRanger said:

You might just try sanding/polishing those.  They don't look too bad, unless they are very pitted or bent?

I'd sand blast them or hit them with a wire wheel and see what they look like.

Rough surface will eat belts, but if you can get the rust off  and sand/polish/wire brush the belt surface, they might work fine.

Unfortunately they are rusted away on the bottom sides😢

Popasmurf

I found that the model # for this unit with the Tecumseh motor should end in "2" not "1" which tells me there was a motor swap some where along the line . 

I found the pulleys. If anyone wants a great source for Toro / wheel Horse parts with knowledgeable folks that actually return a call...

IMG_4256.PNG

• Like 2