Sign in to follow this  
WVHillbilly520H

Dad's Rear Grader/Scraper Blade

WVHillbilly520H

About 30+ years ago my dad who is now 80 was working in a sheet metal (HACV) factory and decided to make himself a rear clevis hitch mounted scraper blade for his CC 1200 to repair our 1/4 mile long driveway after winter and rain storms, so with an old pair of cast iron plow shares he got his radius to break a piece of 12? gauge steel for the moldboard approx 6" tall by 48" long with 1/4"x2.5" flat bar for the wear edge (that was later upgraded to a car leaf spring), he also bent a piece of 3/16" into a "U" for the swivel mount to the moldboard then a 3/8"x2.25" flat bar for the lift/pull/swivel arm, finished off with the clevis to attach which he also drilled to be able to tilt for pulling side ditches, long story shortened, it worked very well for many years with my body being extra weight when necessary, after I moved out to find my own way he added brackets for extra weight, fast forward to the past few winters it sat outside the shed where he accidentally ran it over in the snow with my Kioti, so the last couple months I've been in the process of fixing it for him/myself and here's a few shots of the broken to fab to final (hopefully a bit better and easier to angle plus turn for pushing version) waiting on paint stages that I just finished up today... Father's Day, Jeff.

IMAG3135.jpg

IMAG3136.jpg

IMAG3139.jpg

IMAG3280.jpg

IMAG3281.jpg

IMAG3282.jpg

IMAG3283.jpg

IMAG3284.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

Hopefully I'll get a couple action shots with it attached to a 520 before paint and taking it back to dad in WV, Jeff.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Great story , good repair work. Wish I could weld.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Great story , good repair work. Wish I could weld.

Thanks, and Mig welding is the easiest welding to learn, followed by Arc/stick which I did for all the repairs to the blade today I wanted a little hotter "burn" and "fill" in on the rusty 3/16"-3/8" original parts 6011 rod was used at 105 amps,  Tig is not bad just "butt" welding I can't seem to feed the filler rod without sticking it to the Tungsten electrode as well as Oxy-acetylene I usually get the brass up the torch,  I reckon practice makes perfect, Jeff.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Today to stay out of the house and get a little :wh: seat time,  I hitched up dad's rear grader blade to work on the B.I.L.'s gravel/dirt driveway,(I did bid on a Brinley made rear grader at the auction in Troy yesterday and was out $), @AMC RULES I have built in a "tilt" function for pulling side ditches (I'm sure your work rig is more fun with multi-function hydraulic blade), anyways a few still shots of it in action, also had the front weights on to keep it from doing wheelies dragging it up hill, enjoy, Jeff.

IMAG3543.jpg

IMAG3540.jpg

IMAG3541.jpg

IMAG3542.jpg

IMAG3377.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Thing does nice work Jeff.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

1995 520H+96+97

Nice job on the scraper and BIL driveway.

Thanks to Dad.:bow-blue:

• Thanks 1