mikeeyre74

Picked up an Eaton 1100... But...

mikeeyre74

I picked up an Eaton 1100 transmission and a whipped K301 inside a pretty gross C-125 last week from a really nice fellow in CT that was just looking to clear out his barn. After I got it off the truck and started to get the 30 years of much off of it, it occurred to me that I shouldn't be able to push it as easily around the driveway as I was, because this doesn't have a tow valve like my Sundstrand does. It's just "always on". Then, I noticed that the PO had punched a hole in the transmission filter and bmxut the hydraulic lines to the ram to drain the fluid. I assume he did this so that he could move the tractor easily? Does that make sense? With that said, not knowing the history of this machine that all and seeing the ugly condition that it's in now, is there any way to test this out before going one way or the other with it without dumping 5 quarts of good oil in there to check?

Ed Kennell

Chain the tractor to a tree, take the seat pan off, then connect the eaton pulley to another tractors PTO from the rear with a long belt.     Power the eaton with the running tractor and see if it will spin the tires .

BTW, the eaton will be turning in the correct direction...do not put a twist in the belt.

• Like 3

doc724

On Eaton 1100, with hydraulic pressure bled off, you can easily push it.  Thus your guess why the hydraulic lines are cut.  If there is pressure in the pump, you can still push it but very slowly and you will hear the "click-click" of the pump as it tries to turn.

I also have a C125 with Eaton 1100 that I picked up last year and now restoring.  I had similar concerns about the trans and I did not know about Ed's suggestion at the time.  I worked to get the motor running (it smoked badly) and then ran next to the machine while I "drove" it around the yard.  The trans was OK, the motor not so much.  Second time in a week I picked up a good tip from Ed.

• Like 2