Maintenance Man

Safety switches locations 310

Maintenance Man

Just picked up 310-8.  Third owner but previous owner stated only using tractor for a few hours then decided to buy zero turn and put 310 in shed for 6 years.  I have file on 310 including owners manual.  Tractor won't start unless I jump solenoid. Put in new solenoid from tractor supply. Still won't start unless jump solenoid. Batt ok. I'm no mechanic.  Told by mechanical friend could be one of safety switches. Unless I'm missing something all documentation does not give where the switches are??? Can anyone tell me locations of all safety switches?  I'm guess seat switch is under seat.  Research in this forum indicates clutch safety switch under shift panel plate but can not confirm. If I can get to the switches I don't mind doing the repairs but if I can't find them I will have to take to local mower repair shop who will service my 310.  Can anyone help?

953 nut

:WRS:           Be sure the PTO that drives the mower deck is off, give it a bit of a wiggle while holding the key.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
38 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:           Be sure the PTO that drives the mower deck is off, give it a bit of a wiggle while holding the key.

:text-yeahthat:

Don't ask me why I know or how long it took me to figure it out...

• Like 3

doc724

Welcome to Red Square

If you tell us what year is your tractor, we can provide better information.  There are three possibilities for safety switches (more if it is 1998 or later vintage).  They are:  seat switch, pto switch, clutch switch.  Also once you give year, you can download IPL (illustrated parts manual) which will also guide you to where to get to at the switches.

BTW, if you want to own one of these old school tractors, you better become a mechanic real quick.  They are easy to repair and with basic mechanical skills and some electrical skills, you should be able to do everything but rebuild a motor.  Spend lots of time reading the forums here.  It is how many of us learned (and continue to learn).  You can take it to a mower repair shop to service it, but it will not be cheap and there are no guarantees that they will get it right either.

• Like 3

Racinbob

I don't know if all the 300 series had them but my brothers 312-8 also had a neutral switch. It's mounted on the shifter arm and is spring loaded to the rear to engage it. (I think I just broke the emoticons)

• Like 2

Maintenance Man

Thanks for your comments Tractor purchased in 1989 by ordinal owner from dealer.  I've got id no from plate to left of seat but it does not seem to help in online info searches.

gwest_ca

Post the numbers off the ID decal. Many changes between 1985 and 1990 that could have been purchased new in 1989.

Model #

Serial #

Build date #

Garry

Maintenance Man

hows this

Seat ID Tag 2.jpg

gwest_ca

Each circuit has it's own diagram for late production. (Lights will work without the engine running)

Garry