ottsm

Starter attachment bolts wont tighten or come out.

ottsm

I have a 14HP Kohler engine for my Wheel Horse.  I had issues with the starter not engaging and realized the two bolts that hold the starter to the engine block were loose.  I tried tightening them and I cold only go so far.  Next I tried backing them out and could only get so far.  I'm kind of stuck in between, perhaps someone put a heli coil in them and things are just galled up, I can't really tell.  I'm afraid I'll just snap the bolts off or totally strip the block out.  Anyone else have this problem?

rmaynard

Have you tried soaking the bolts with something like PB Blaster and letting them sit overnight?

Edited by rmaynard

ottsm

Just WD40, I'll try some Kroil next.

stevasaurus

That's weird that you can only go in so far and not be able to back them out.  When you go to tighten them, do they tighten up?  WD40 is not a penetrate, it only displaces moisture...like if you had a cracked distributor cap.  Use the Krol or some other good penetrate.

If you think you will shear the bolts when backing out, and they will not tighten when going in...maybe cut some sheet metal to shim between the bolts and the starter mount...maybe 2 pieces.  I am not sure I would try to back them out before trying that.  Especially, if you can't see what might be going on.  If the sheet metal shims do not work, then back them out and see what happens.  You might have to drill them out and tap the new holes.

Kelly told me about this trick a few years ago.  He mentioned that I might try shimming behind the starter because of the issues that I was having, but if your starter was lose...shimming behind the mount may not be your problem.  :)

• Like 2

953 nut

:confusion-confused:         That's a head scratcher for sure,  The only thing that cones to mind would be that a Helicoil insert was improperly installed at some time and is clinging to the bolt. I hope Steve's shim trick will get the bolts moving for you.

The only other obvious option may be to drill out the bolts using progressively larger bits being sure the holes are centered and don't go too deep. Then the holes could be drilled and tapped for larger bolts.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Typically, a Helicoil is designed to not be backed out. And because they are stainless steel, rust wouldn't be holding the bolt in to a Helicoil. So I'm of the opinion that it is not a Helicoil issue. My guess is that it is just rust.

I restate my suggestion that using a good penetrating oil over a couple of days, and applying a little heat will help you get the bolts out.

• Like 4

ottsm

I'll try soaking it, I don't need to cut grass for another week.   If I thought It wouldn't damage the starter I'd consider heating them with a torch.  

953 nut

Be careful with the heat, could kill the starter.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

When trying to back out hte  bolts, is there any gap between the starter base and engine block. That is, do the bolts come part-way out??  

If so, use a small pry bar or flat screwdrive to force continuous leverage in that gap, keeping tension on the lever, as you continue to back out the bolts.  That MAY provide enough tension for the remaining threads to grab hold so you can get them out.   

• Like 2

wallfish

At least it's able to turn so try backing each one out as far as it will go, then tighten as far as it will go, back out, then tighten and repeat doing this until it comes out. Using an impact works best but they should back out and tighten up a little more each time until the rust works loose. Spray penetrating oil too.

• Like 3

ottsm

There is a gap.  I even thought about inserting shims until I could tighten it up but of course the problem would remain if I ever needed to replace the starter.  For now I'm just going to let it soak.

Edited by ottsm
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Watching penetrating oil work is almost as much fun as watching paint dry.  :occasion-xmas:

I would not use heat in this situation...too many things can go bad here and make the situation worse.  :think:

• Like 2

daveoman1966
6 hours ago, ottsm said:

There is a gap.  I even thought about inserting shims until I could tighten it up but of course the problem would remain if I ever needed to replace the starter.  For now I'm just going to let it soak.

I thought your immediate problem was just getting the bolts out to get the starter off.  Once you get it off, the block holes can be drilled and tapped to a next-larger size....   

• Like 1

ottsm

What is happening is that the starter is loose and sometimes doesn't fully engage.  I can hold the starter tight against the block it starts fine.  But because of this I'm sure if I took the starter off the teeth are probably worn because when it doesn't fully engage the teeth slip and grind.  This is why the problem needs fixed. 

daveoman1966

First....If the starter is loose, it is likely the electrical GROUND is broken and that is why it won't engage, or even make the starter run for that matter.  But, when you hold it tight against the block, then it starts...as you said....right?  Holding it against the block would make the ground, thereby completing the electrical circuit. 

Second...if the starter is loose, the starter gear will only slightly engage the flywheel gear, lending to either worn out starter gear or flywheel gear damage. Third....take the starter completely off and mount it SECURELY to the engine block.  Failing that, you'll forever have issues with it.  

• Like 1

953 nut

@ottsm, you have received a lot of input and suggestions to help solve the problem. Have you attempted the wedging of the starter to try backing the bolts out or the tighten/loosen/re-tighten etc.? Give us some feedback on what has worked and what didn't.

• Like 1

ottsm
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

@ottsm, you have received a lot of input and suggestions to help solve the problem. Have you attempted the wedging of the starter to try backing the bolts out or the tighten/loosen/re-tighten etc.? Give us some feedback on what has worked and what didn't.

I'm going to let it soak for a week before I try anything else.  I'll post back with the results.

Edited by ottsm
  • Like 1

953 nut
8 minutes ago, ottsm said:

I'll post back with the results.

Good deal!   :techie-hourglass:

ottsm

Bolts are out, soaking in Kroil for several days helped as did wedging.  One bolt was actually broken and  I had to use an extractor.  I rechased the threads and the new bolts I put in seem to hold.  I'll be watching them for awhile to see if they back out.  The pictures show the before and after.

IMG_1520.JPG.e25c310e9066a4705ac99bf12c5cbbed.JPGIMG_1518.JPG.1fd138d89ea956c5e1fed7682494af12.JPGIMG_1515.JPG.92ff7d38aa38bdaf4f2094f5d75bb03c.JPGIMG_1513.JPG.e8e15c98caf89b09fc6346da1b980b2a.JPG

• Like 3

953 nut

:woohoo:             Thanks for the feedback.            :text-bravo: