jetwrench

Wheel Horse 212-H

jetwrench

Discovered this Wheel Horse 212-H for sale locally, which was posted as having an engine that will not start with no explanation relating to the severity of the failure. It appears after speaking with the owner that the unit was running normally,

started to backfire and ultimately shutdown. When attempting a re-start it appeared the engine was spinning free with little or no compression available to limit the crank speed and would not start. Having limited mechanical ability the owner felt the problem was more severe than he was comfortable undertaking suggesting the problem may very well be associated with a major internal component failure. It appears the owner made no attempt to troubleshoot any further to verify the integrity of the Crankshaft/Connecting Rod Assembly or Camshaft by at least removing the spark plug or valve spring cover just to check for piston or valve movement, so from this point forward any suggested possibility for the no start condition is pure conjecture. The Engine in question is a 12HP Briggs and Stratton Model 284707 Power Built.

If further troubleshooting reveals the engine has a major problem that requires tear down or replacement to resolve, what would be a fair price for the unit as is considering its condition? Additionally, what are the more common problems or component failures associated with this specific model or type engine?

Wheel Horse 212-H.jpg

Wheel Horse 212-H_LH View.jpg

• Like 2

Digger 66
48 minutes ago, jetwrench said:

When attempting a re-start it appeared the engine was spinning free with little or no compression available to limit the crank speed and would not start.

Welcome to Red Square .

From your description ... It sounds like a broken valve spring .

I have heard of timing issues with these caused by a sheared ( or damaged ) flywheel key .

It appears to be a well-kept machine .

Offer him a couple hundo for it , take her home & start digging .

Worse case , a new motor is maybe 250 bucks ? 

• Like 1

squonk

Those are great little mowers. I had a 210-H for 20 yrs. Mowed, plowed & blew snow and pulled down small trees with it. All I ever did to it was replace a tie rod, diode and seat. :)

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:        When a connecting rod breaks it is generally more dramatic than a bit of backfiring! If you remove the spark plug you should be able to hear/feel a bit of air movement as the engine is turned over, if not then the rod is the likely problem. If you are going to do the work your self it will be an adventure, if you plan to pay a service facility to do it the likelihood is they will want you to buy a new engine for $ 700 plus installation labor.

:twocents-02cents:      Chances are that no one is going to offer him more than $ 100 in the present condition.

• Like 3

SPINJIM

I agree;  sounds like a valve problem.   You shouldn't have to dig too deep (tie rod) to fix it.    I'd offer him $100, and maybe be willing to go to $150 because it looks like a well maintained machine otherwise.    Did the owner keep the oil level up ?    I don't think the seller will find many people willing to go to $200 for a non-running mower. 

Good luck,   Jim

PS - Let us know the outcome.  We always like to know how good or bad our advise was.

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Everyone else already has it covered...non-running - no more than $100. Looks good otherwise.

jetwrench
9 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

Welcome to Red Square .

From your description ... It sounds like a broken valve spring .

I have heard of timing issues with these caused by a sheared ( or damaged ) flywheel key .

It appears to be a well-kept machine .

Offer him a couple hundo for it , take her home & start digging .

Worse case , a new motor is maybe 250 bucks ? 

7 hours ago, squonk said:

Those are great little mowers. I had a 210-H for 20 yrs. Mowed, plowed & blew snow and pulled down small trees with it. All I ever did to it was replace a tie rod, diode and seat. :)

4 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

I agree;  sounds like a valve problem.   You shouldn't have to dig too deep (tie rod) to fix it.    I'd offer him $100, and maybe be willing to go to $150 because it looks like a well maintained machine otherwise.    Did the owner keep the oil level up ?    I don't think the seller will find many people willing to go to $200 for a non-running mower. 

Good luck,   Jim

PS - Let us know the outcome.  We always like to know how good or bad our advise was.

8 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Everyone else already has it covered...non-running - no more than $100. Looks good otherwise.

6 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:        When a connecting rod breaks it is generally more dramatic than a bit of backfiring! If you remove the spark plug you should be able to hear/feel a bit of air movement as the engine is turned over, if not then the rod is the likely problem. If you are going to do the work your self it will be an adventure, if you plan to pay a service facility to do it the likelihood is they will want you to buy a new engine for $ 700 plus installation labor.

:twocents-02cents:      Chances are that no one is going to offer him more than $ 100 in the present condition.

• Like 1

jetwrench

Still trying to figure out  how to reply and thank everyone who took the time to respond, it is very much appreciated. I was a bit confused by the "Quote" option located on the response, but it appears it might allow me to address

anyone selected.

I would like to add an additional question to my post which might help resolving whether this unit might serve a dual purpose. Can anyone say off hand if any of the parts from the 212-H are interchangeable with

an older 308-8, for example hood assembly, seat, wheels etc. and how profitable it might be to just part the unit out?

From my limited investigation into this particular engine design not being an overhead valve assembly would most likely require splitting the case to establish access for the most minor of failures such as a valve spring.

I did contact the owner and he reiterated that his limited knowledge of small engine repair did not suggest to him it might be prudent to verify the integrity of either the Crankshaft or Camshaft/Valve Assemblies by removing the Spark Plug or Valve Spring Cover and just take a look or just check displacement of the piston with a screwdriver while rotating the flywheel by hand.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Hit Quote if you want to quote someone when you reply. Just type below the quote and then hit the "submit reply" button. If you just want to tell someone you "like" their post you just click the "like this" tab at the bottom right...

953 nut
25 minutes ago, jetwrench said:

parts from the 212-H are interchangeable with

an older 308-8

The front tires and seat are about the only parts that will work on a 308.

• Like 1

EricF
17 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The front tires and seat are about the only parts that will work on a 308.

Yep, that's pretty much it for interchangability. The 212-H is a "Horse of a different color" -- it's designed from the ground up as a lawn tractor for lighter-duty use. The one-piece stamped frame pan and vertical-shaft engine require different attachments and methods to connect them. It uses a conventional lawn tractor hydro transaxle instead of the larger Wheel Horse Uni-Drive gearbox/transaxle with a separate hydro pump. That said, you'll find that it's still a tough little machine in its own right. Wheel Horse didn't skimp on building them, with good thick steel and the choice of a transaxle that holds up well to doing honest work. Rebuild the engine or re-power it, and the Wheel Horse will keep on working while the box-store machines turn to scrap...

• Like 1

Racinbob

I'm thinking the owner would accept a low offer but even at $200-$250 I don't see it as a bad deal. It looks real nice and then there's the Wheel Horse steering wheel and I'm pretty sure that's a logo seat........:)

• Like 2