BOB ELLISON

314-8 VIBRATION

BOB ELLISON

My 314-8 starts and runs great I cut the grass last week and parked it in garage. I went to move it today and it vibrates like it's not balanced even when the deck isnt ingaged. When i cut my grass and I could feel a vibration come and go like a bad out of balance wheel going down the road on a car.i started it today and I could feel in my feet a vibration that tingles after a long time and it's at all speeds.  Could it be a crank bearing ? 

Is the timing fixed on these command engines or can they get out of time?

I removed the flywheel and cleaned it good,

All the magnets are fine and I pulled off PTO and checked and bearings looks and spins  ok.

It starts good on the second try.

but I did notice that when it starts I hear 2 snaps like the sound of a spark plug makes when it's off the plug and arcs to metal.  So my question is what else could make this vibration. Timing, out of balance rod bearing or something else ???     I know it's not the deck, flywheel looks great, I haven't taken the drive belt off yet to see if that is it (Monday for that). Like I said in my other post I don't know a lot about these command engines but I'm a quick learner. 

Ps I did get my $25.00 wheel weights on

20170401_153058.jpg

20170616_193419.jpg

• Like 2

slammer302

I would check the bolts that mount the motor to the frame. just to make sure ive had them come loose more than i person would think

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

@slammer302 I'll check Monday and that will be first.  We had a community garage sale this weekend and I can't get in my garage. I'm just trying to get some ideas of what to check. 

Does anyone know if the valves can be adjusted on the command pro engine.

I guess I'll have to read the manual this weekend. 

squonk

If the belt looks good, take it off and start it. If the vibe is gone it's the belt,pullies or trans. If it's still there it's something with the engine.

• Like 3

doc724

The "snaps" that your hear I think is the anti diesel solenoid on the carb clicking in or out.  I have the same engine on my 314-8 (1998).  If the vibration is so bad you can feel it, loose bolts are my bet.  Remember there are 8 bolts, 4 to the frame and 4 to the engine.  The engine is aluminum so it is possible that the bolts to the engine were over torqued (stripped) by someone.