mikeeyre74

What is this notch in the front axle?

Uncle Buck

I suspect that was a clearance relief notch as suggested. That said perhaps the same axle design was used for a number of models over several years and went unchanged resulting in the notch having a practical application for some models, and appearing inexplicable when the same axle is found on other machines. No reason to add manufacturing cost by manufacturing additional axle versions simply for the purpose of removing the notch from the design.

• Like 2

Racinbob

Yea, I think it's pretty clear what it was for now. Just today I looked at another of my tractors, the 2005, and it doesn't turn far enough to need the notch. It wouldn't surprise me if somewhere out there some axles exist without the notch. It would be interesting to look at a 1963 axle since that was the first year of the modern style (ignoring the few 'oddballs' mixed in). Maybe both stops are the taller ones or the shorter with notches on both sides. Then they discovered the issue :dunno:. I remember as a kid my dad having an issue at times with the tire catching on something during a hard turn and kinda locking up for a second. As I mentioned, if my 500 Special turned as tight to the right the tire would hit the snowblade angle rod.

• Like 1

ACman

Here's a pic of my 753 .

IMG_1906.JPG.1d1f4f507c91c1e1d94fa0279941264d.JPG

Same notch on right side.

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1

Racinbob

Oops! I totally forgot about the different spindle design with the arm above the axle. There still might be something to my theory but it just happened later. I'm thinking I'm driving myself nutzo. :wacko:

• Like 1

TDF5G

I read this yesterday at work so when I got home last night, I took a look at one of my tractors, the B-100 and there is the notch.  It looks like it could be clearance for the spindle arm when turning hard left as mentioned.  I wonder why they only put one on the left.  On the right the spindle arm hits the stop when making a full right turn.  It appears that you could turn sharper to the left than the right IMO.  It's very curious and interesting, ain't it?

meadowfield

:D I've noticed this for years and never asked because I thought it would be a silly easy peasy answer.

I always thought it was a carry over from another design, perhaps maybe is there was a link on the topside on a GT14 or like a cub cadet. Those designs appear to offer less bump steer at the expense of more complexity.

It is difficult to get full lock on some designs without lots of toe out and I've rarely seen them steer that tight. Maybe it was ok to have more lock to the left than the right, maybe something got in the way on the right hand side that means lock had to be restricted - maybe the deck or sickle bar?

Quite a few cars here in Europe do that - i.e. the 6 speed transmission is longer and fouls on the suspension, so they reduce the steering lock on one side to protect it....

19richie66

Most decks chutes are on the right so you could hug a tree or fence post with the left rounded side of the deck so maybe they made it turn tighter to the left for getting that deck around things. Just a thought, unless its aready been brought up and I missed it. I do miss things.......

• Like 2

cafoose

I'm wondering if they used the same axle with the notch on a lot of tractors whether it did any good or not knowing that Wheel Horse used up a lot of extra parts on different models. :scratchead:I have an 1966 876, 1974 C-120, and a 1968 Commando 8 that has it. My 1988 520-HC with swept axle, 1960 Suburban, 1970 GT-14, and 1964 704 does not.

Racinbob

The four of yours that don't are different animals with the 704 having the arms on top like the 63's. I'm curious. It looks like starting in 65 the arms were on the bottom. Somebody needs to check their 65 to see if it has the notch and also if the right cast in stop is higher than the left. :)

• Like 1

tunahead72
5 hours ago, TDF5G said:

...  It looks like it could be clearance for the spindle arm when turning hard left as mentioned.  I wonder why they only put one on the left.  On the right the spindle arm hits the stop when making a full right turn.  It appears that you could turn sharper to the left than the right IMO...

2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Most decks chutes are on the right so you could hug a tree or fence post with the left rounded side of the deck so maybe they made it turn tighter to the left for getting that deck around things...

I do vaguely remember when I bought my 310-8 that the salesman mentioned that the turning radius on Wheel Horse tractors was slightly smaller in one direction than the other, although I haven't been able to find any documentation for that feature.  What you guys just mentioned makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

squonk

My 210-H certainly had a shorter left turn. You could see it in the wheels when you turned them. 

• Like 1