mikeeyre74

What is this notch in the front axle?

mikeeyre74

While cleaning up the front axle for a restoration I'm doing, I noticed this funny cast in notch on this axle… I checked a few others that I have in the yard and they are all there in the same spot but I can't figure out what they're for?  Does anybody know what the history is? 

What's this notch?

• Like 2

Uncle Buck

Unless there is a matching notch on the other side I would say it must be due to some sort of wear. I would use that part though if it was mine. I do not see that as causing failure of the axle.

Or that notch could have been engineered into the part originally for clearance for a belt or attachment or something.

WVHillbilly520H

That's the 520 swept forward axle correct? It's for the mower/blower PTO belt clearance, or for tie rod clearance when turned full lock, Jeff.

IMAG2582_1.jpg

IMAG2507.jpg

IMAG1973.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 3

mikeeyre74

No, it is neither the 520 forward swept axle or a wear mark. I have 6 bone stone standard axles off B and C series tractors and 300 series too, and they all have these notches. They're cast into the original axle shape, not machines or worn in there... they're on the left hand side of the machine as you're sitting on it, so it's not like it's even a clearance for the PTO belt, because that would be on the opposite (right hand) side. 

tunahead72

I'll be darned, I just checked my '86 310-8, and sure enough that notch is there on my axle too.  I never noticed that before, now you've got me curious. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Like 2

Uncle Buck

I think you can bet the notch was designed into the part for whatever reason. Now you just need someone that can confirm what that relief point was designed into that part to accommodate.

• Like 1

nylyon

Checked my 310-8 and 1995 312-8, both have the notch. 

slammer302

It's a steering stop I believe.

14976571034811740808803.jpg

Cee245

Slammer, I don't think he's talking about the steering stop....

This is a 416h axle pto side. Doesn't have the notch.

So it's just the 300,C, and B  series? And I've seen how the 520 has their notch. 

1497662502773-2086738160.jpg

• Like 1

nylyon

It's the flywheel side which has the notch. My 74 C-160, 87 414-8 and 94 416-H all have the notch as well. Great question, hope we can figure this out.

• Like 3

Cee245

I think I've figured it out. If you go out to your tractor and turn the wheel all the way left.

Look on the flywheel side (left) and then look underneath, you should see where the part that holds the tie rod would bind on axle if not for the notch being there. 

Looks like it helps with turning radius.

Cory

14976651222411980804194.jpg

14976651808261989092815.jpg

• Like 5

Chris G

Great Question. I got two extra front axles on the shelf from 8hp 4speeds. With the same notch. Noticed a few years ago and never could figure it out.

• Like 1

EricF

Interesting! Yet another little bit of thoughtful engineering "magic" that offers up better performance (tighter turning radius here) than the competition, which is nearly invisible to buyers/owners. It "just works better".

Little engineering touches like that were often discouraged by big companies, even in the era of the 1960s-70s -- it costs money to design and build the tooling as it gets more complex; over-engineering was discouraged. Of course, other manufacturers tended to use a design for a few years -- a decade at most, and then move on to a newer design. However much more Wheel Horse may have spent on engineering, they recovered and earned back several times over by keeping the same designs in use nearly forever. It's not even over-engineering, it's engineering to the maximum practical benefit. Things like that add up -- that's why 20, 30, 40, 50 -year old-and-beyond :wh: tractors can still out-work newer ones!

• Like 3

squonk

None of my 3 tractors has that notch. but the location lines right up with the PTO belt to mower deck travel area. Just like in Hillbilly's first pic. If the belt is loose enough it will flop and rub against the axle. Also if you use too short a PTO belt the mule drive pulleys may contact the axle. I have seen this happen. Perhaps WH decided to give a little room in that area to keep the belt and pulleys from being damaged.

nylyon

The notch is on the flywheel side, not the PTO

• Like 2

Racinbob

Cory nailed it. The front of my 76 is up in the air right now. It's to clear the spindle arm when fully turned to the left. Compare the right and left steering stops. The one on the right is 'taller' than the left and the arm hits it before the notch is needed and the turning radius isn't as tight as the left. Then, looking at my 500 Special that has a blade on it if the right turn was as tight as the left the tire would rub on the rod running up to the blade to angle it. :)

• Like 3

squonk

Ok. Looks like Hillibliiy's pics are of different notches than Mikee's. 

(sent from in front of the A/C with crapatalk)

• Like 3

rmaynard

So I'm still confused. I went out to the shed and pulled two horse out. The 1977 B-100 and 1968 Commando 8. Both have the same axle, both have the notch.

The notch are on the underside and are depicted by the yellow lines.

With the wheels turned left to the full extent, the spindle arm of the B-100 does not enter the notch.

B100_notch.jpg.e13f62f66fbaebab09d8a69d23997dbb.jpg

The Commando 8 is the same.

C8_fullleft.jpg.5b05f646bd6609248289ed16bbbc9b62.jpg

I tried to get a shot from the underside of the B-100 as well.

B100_uder.jpg.a5e4f32f54eae071fbe9d524ce1abd49.jpg

If the spindle arms are disconnected from the tie-rods, yes, they can move into the notch, however under normal operating conditions that is not the case. I'm still scratching my head.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

Cee245

Not sure @rmaynard

On my 97 416, the spindle arm enters the notch most noticeable from underneath. 

Now, if you use the steering wheel to turn all the way left, the spindle arm doesn't enter the notch as much as grabbing the tire and pulling it a little further into the notch. 

I just did this... try it, and let me know

Cory

• Like 1

Racinbob

That's weird. My 160 wouldn't hit the stop if not for the notch. I lowered it to the ground and the same thing.  Same with the 500 Special. :confusion-confused:

59458804a8221_Steeringstop.JPG.de6a6fece1eaf90bc72ef31b033ff4af.JPG

Bob, what is physically stopping your steering?

• Like 2

rmaynard

I have to agree with Cory that the notch is for spindle arm clearance, however, I turned the steering wheel and pulled the tire on both tractors, and the results were the same, not even close to the stop or the notch. However...the 416-H is a different story.

Thanks for starting an interesting thread. There's always something new to be learned.

416notch.jpg.2931c562bd43e9dd5d6511236c3d405e.jpg

• Like 5

squonk

I rechecked my axles after I was confused by Hillbilly's pic of the notch on his PTO side. My C-160 and 1267 have the notch but my 520 which does not have the original axle on it does not. :confusion-confused:

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Sorry for the confusion, from the original pic the axle looked slightly skewwed (or swept) to me  but on the same token I did say...

On 6/16/2017 at 3:32 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

, or for tie rod clearance when turned full lock, Jeff.

Jeff.

• Like 1

tunahead72

I think somebody just has to ask Terry (TT) if he goes to the big show this week, he'll know! :)

• Like 1