zeke37

floppy belt 75 c-160

zeke37

Wondering- is this the Drive Belt?  After rebuilding the deck and new belts still lacking power. Happened to notice that this belt is loosy goosey but is not in bad condition. Can I tension this or does the whole thing have to come apart?

belt 2.JPG

Texas Todd

That is the drive belt. The idler pulley should apply tension to it when you release the clutch pedal. It should only be loose if the idler pulley isn't in place with the spring putting tension on the belt. Or the clutch is held down.

zeke37

so can i increase the tension. it is really loose.

gwest_ca

I believe this C-160 has a hydro transmission

Garry

953 nut

Was the old belt tight and working properly? The spring or tensioner that applies tension is a fixed piece, are you sure the new belt is the correct size. This manual could be helpful. 

Texas Todd
4 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

I believe this C-160 has a hydro transmission

Garry

Woops. Disregard my previous comment!

zeke37

so maybe a new spring?

I went through rounds on the belt. seems good 1/2" by 84" I think. It is the drive belt. Really floppy. No resistance upon compression. I tried to video but can't do it for some reason. but that belt is as loose as can be, and when I try to cut tall gras the blades stop spinning.

R. L. Addison

Has someone replaced the drive pulley on the engine? Or the idler pulley? I have a C141 that has thrown the belt off on occasion, and I think it may be for that reason. The top side of that belt will not be, nor does it need to be, as tight as the bottom as the power is supplied through the pull of the engine. This belt runs clockwise as it is seen in this picture, so as long as it is tight enough to stop any slippage, it should be good to run. That is not to say that it should flop around when engine is running.

This belt drives the transmission, and has nothing to do with the mower blades on a C160. That belt goes from the engine forward around "mule drive" and down between tractor & mower deck to drive the mower blades.

Edited by R. L. Addison

zeke37

not sure about the history of the drive belt.....I bought this from a person who kind did whatever he could to make the mower run. I have a 7473 0n hand. Is this the correct belt? It was strong before the spindles failed, now very little energy.

Also I think that I am confused as to what id the "drive belt" and to what is the belt that goes from the PTO pulley to the mower deck. Perhaps y'all can straighten  me out on that. I am looking at the diagrams on line but am still having a hard time figuring it out. 

• Like 1

nylyon

What has little energy, the motion of the tractor, or the mower deck?  I'm confused with what the current concern is.

zeke37

the mower deck, the tractor is fine, new belts, but when I hit a high patch of grass she bogs down. never did that before. and the drive belts is clearly not right.

so my question is is there a way to tension that drive belt?

nylyon

Does the engine bog down, or just the deck slow down? If the deck, you can tighten the trunion on the PTO if it's slipping at the PTO. 

953 nut
15 minutes ago, zeke37 said:

question is is there a way to tension that drive be

The MOWER drive belt!    Your mule drive has a knob on the front to tension the belt, Turn it counter clockwise to tighten, Look at the manual I attached earlier.

zeke37

Done that. Still bogging down. The belt pictured is interior an is loose as can be. 

The mower seems fine the deck bogs down. My belt tension from mower to deck is good. 

953 nut

When you put the belts on the mule drive were the spacers in the correct position?

nylyon

So if the engine is fine, belt tension is good you can tighten the PTO by turning the trunion a turn or 2.

• Like 1

zeke37

I've done that and the blades quit spinning so I had to turn the trunion back, but  am curious about the spacers on the mule. I  have one on the outer side and thought that the inner one was attached to the inside pulley. would missing that be enough to slow the mower so dramatically? Also would the inner drive belt being so loose have anything ton do with loss of power? This mower has been rigged by the previous owner and Im am having to work backwards to get it running smoothly again.I really appreciate all of the information that y'all have been offering me.

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, zeke37 said:

Done that. Still bogging down. The belt pictured is interior an is loose as can be. 

The mower seems fine the deck bogs down. My belt tension from mower to deck is good. 

You say the mower  ( I assume you mean tractor) seems fine.  

You say Belt tension from the tractor to the deck is good.

The third belt is under the deck belt cover and connects the two side blade pulleys to the center drive pulley.  Is this the belt that is loosey goosey?   This belt has a spring loaded tensioning pulley that keeps the belt tight on all three blade pulleys.

• Like 3

Cee245

If you already tried to tighten the trunion and it didn't work, THEN you turned it BACK to your original position??? It seems like you just need to tighten MORE.

Edited by Cee245

zeke37

so I got off the mower with the blades running(!) and adjust the tension to where it seems like a normal cutting speed when I start cutting everything boggs down. No slack in the belt from the motor to deck. The mower deck blade is old but not bad. Maybe that is next.

I have tried more and the blades quit spinning all together

Thisguyisnew

Post pictures of your mule drives spacers that you are talking about. It might be an alignment issue or binding somewhere in this area. What your describing sounds like a bad bearing on one of the mule drive pulleys as well.

• Like 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, zeke37 said:

The mower deck blade is old but not bad.

Did you mean to say belt is old but not bad?      :confusion-confused:

zeke37

yes belt

Ed Kennell
7 hours ago, zeke37 said:

I have tried more and the blades quit spinning all together

Did the PTO  stop turning when this happened?

zeke37

Yes it did, and i just downloaded a drawing of the mule drive and spacers and it is clear that I am missing one. So if the PTO stops when I am mowing tall grass is there something else I need to look at? Thanks again.

Edited by zeke37
more info