budman2

520-H Engine

budman2

Does anyone on here happen to know how many hours the 20hp onan engine are good for if taken care properly? I have one tractor with 488hours that I have listed for sale and am thinking about keeping one with 1280 hours on it, as the rest of the tractor is like mint condition, I just wanted to have some input as to if this would be a mistake on my part? Thanks in advance budman2!

WHX??

I would say 2000 + if taken care of. Of course there is the (dreaded) valve seat issue and parts expense  but with proper care I wouldn't be afraid of either engine hour but like most always prefer the lower hour motor. 

WildHorses

The valve seat issue seems to normally happen around 1200-1500 hours from what I've seen and heard. I'm sure there is a guy with one that had an issue at 300 hours and another guy that's got 2000+ and no issue but I see a lot in that range that have the problem.

budman2

Thanks folks for the input! I will have to decide today  budman2.

WVHillbilly520H

Swap out the engines between the 2 and keep what you want on the 1 you're going keep just my :twocents-twocents:, and in the end it's what you're comfortable doing, Jeff.

budman2

Thats a great idea, I would feel better doing that! budman2  Got to thinking about it and decided not to do that as I would have to swap out the hour meter also to be honest!  By the way I have my tractor up for sale on this site, the 1993 520-H  it is a nice tractor and everything works as it should, hate to let it go but it is happy doctor time$$$$$$$$$$$ Thanks again budman2. 

Edited by budman2
  • Like 2