NYJack

How to wire in an electric fuel pump

NYJack

I have a Toro Wheel Horse Classic with the Koehler engine.  My fuel pump died so I rigged up an electric one with power supplyed direct from the battery with an alligator clip I snap on the battery while using the tractor, and usually unhook it when done.

So, my son will be mowing the yard this summer and the chance of him remembering to unhook the wire are slim.

Therefore I would like to wire the pump wire to somewhere that is hot only when the tractor is turned on and running.  Unfortunately I do not have a manual or wire diagram.

Advice and help greatly appreciated!

jack

Racinbob

Give us the model # of your tractor and we'll find the wiring diagram. You want it connected so it's powered with the key in the run position. :)

NYJack

Sorry, it is a 312 hydro.

Achto
49 minutes ago, NYJack said:

Therefore I would like to wire the pump wire to somewhere that is hot only when the tractor is turned on and running.  Unfortunately I do not have a manual or wire diagram.

With a multi meter or a simple test light, probe the wires coming out of the key switch. Find a wire that is live only when the switch is in the run position. Once you locate the wire you need , connect your pump to it.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:         This manual will give you the wiring information you need. The "L" terminal on your ignition switch will give you key on power. Be sure to put a fuse in the line, 10 amp should do the trick.

• Like 3

squonk

Here you go. The power hook up will be different if you have electronic ignition but everything else is the same. 

• Like 2

midpack

I tapped into the light switch wire to power a relay to run the pump straight off the battery. works just the way you need it too!

• Like 1

6bg6ga
1 hour ago, midpack said:

I tapped into the light switch wire to power a relay to run the pump straight off the battery. works just the way you need it too!

Just a suggestion.. You should install a fuse from the battery to the fuel pump if you don't have one. I like the fact that you used a relay to control the fuel pump and didn't try to run it thru the ignition switch. Is the light switch circuit inactive when the ignition switch is in the off position?  Some manufacturers have a live light circuit. I had a Yard Man that had a live light circuit that I had to remember to make sure it was turned off when I was done snow plowing.

gwest_ca

This may be the model you have.

I would use the R terminal on the ignition switch to control a relay powered by the battery. The pump would not work in the Start position but if you turned the key to Run for a few seconds before starting the carb would be ready to go.

Garry

6bg6ga
7 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

This may be the model you have.

I would use the R terminal on the ignition switch to control a relay powered by the battery. The pump would not work in the Start position but if you turned the key to Run for a few seconds before starting the carb would be ready to go.

Garry

To make things simple the pump needs to prime the carb for an easy start. Making it function in the start and the run position is the best of both worlds.

midpack
1 hour ago, 6bg6ga said:

Just a suggestion.. You should install a fuse from the battery to the fuel pump if you don't have one. I like the fact that you used a relay to control the fuel pump and didn't try to run it thru the ignition switch. Is the light switch circuit inactive when the ignition switch is in the off position?  Some manufacturers have a live light circuit. I had a Yard Man that had a live light circuit that I had to remember to make sure it was turned off when I was done snow plowing.

I did use a blade fuse inline for the pump, and also one off the light wire

my light circuit is live in both the "start" and "run'", no power in the "off" position.with the key. I used a light probe on the wires before I chose to use that wire

Edited by midpack

gwest_ca
10 hours ago, midpack said:

I did use a blade fuse inline for the pump, and also one off the light wire

my light circuit is live in both the "start" and "run'", no power in the "off" position.with the key. I used a light probe on the wires before I chose to use that wire

Disregard the 1990 wiring then because the lights are not powered in the Start position.

Garry

6bg6ga
23 hours ago, midpack said:

Just so I understand you correctly ...  you used the light circuit to power a relay. You then came off the battery with a fused wire to the relay that will power the pump. 

Absolutely the right way to do it.:greetings-clappingyellow:  In doing it that way you have a live circuit in start and in run. You have used a relay so you didn't burden the ignition switch. You also protected the power wire running from the battery to the relay with its own fuse.  This is the BEST way to accomplish the task.  This is the best example I've seen so far of using common sense instead of trying to depend on a wiring diagram that may or may not be accurate/ correct.

You got it done, its done right and it cannot be improved upon.

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!

• Like 1

midpack

aww, thanks!  :)

I imagine I got most of the design from hanging around here though. I won't take all the credit 

• Like 1

kwalshy

After wasting my time and $ on another cheap fuel pump that was no good out of the box, I’ve decided to install a Facet 60304.  I have a new 40 Amp relay, is this too large of a relay for this electric pump conversion install if I use an inline 3-5 Amp fuse? And I apologize for what might be a stupid question, but I install the fuse between battery & relay correct? Or fuse goes between relay & pump?  

Thank you!

• Sad 1

Skipper

Fuse directly after, and as close to the battery as you can with reason. Go for the smallest fuse you can find. That pump wont use much current :-)

Relay size is fine, and of no concern, as long you dont overload it.  It can handle up to 40 A, and will work just as fine with no or very little load, which is the case here.

Put  your pump in a cool place, under tank level. Heat is what pumps dont like, and they don't suck good either. 

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1