Paul Van Benschoten

New to me 520H

Paul Van Benschoten

I just brought home a 1995 520H. I think it is in good shape. The wiring looks a little iffy - there are a lot of spliced wires.

The main thing I have a question about right now is the throttle lever. When I move it all the way up (higher RPMs) it goes back to the middle. It stays in position in the middle or at the low end. Is there a tension adjustment on the pivot on the lever ?

The volt meter always reads zero and the gas gauge always says full even though I know the tank is mostly empty. I can live with those things for a while. 

thanks

PS it is hard to type after spilling a beer on the keyboard. I have to use cut and paste for few letters.:wacko:

• Like 4

benji756

I had the same issue with my 520 and what I did was take a pair of vice grips or channel loc pliers and squeezed the rivet where the lever pivots, that has worked for over 2 years now. If that doesn't do it you can drill out the rivet and put a bolt and nyloc nut in its place and tighten it up enough to hold the lever in place but still be able to move it freely.

Kurt-NEPA

I've had the same problem with several 520H's.  The throttle control is balancing the governor and is slipping.  The best fix is to pull the throttle lever, drill out the rivet and insert a bolt.  Put on a nut and lock nut.  Adjust the tension with the nuts until you hit the right balance.

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Paul Van Benschoten Beer on keyboards can be avoided with a two can beer hat.:ROTF:

• Like 2

608KEB

I've put a nut and bolt through the rivet. Use a bolt that tightens with a allen wrench.

Paul Van Benschoten

Thank you, I'll try the vice grips first and then the bolt if needed. 

Another little problem is the grease zirk in the block on the lower steering shaft. I can't pump grease into it. It appears to be a pressfit and not threaded. What is the best way to remove it? Should I remove the block and drive it out from the inside?

• Like 1

MalMac

A lot of those blocks never got drilled all the way through or even drilled at all Over sight by the QC dept. Pull the block off and check it. Be careful, that block is now no longer available. Though they can be easily made. Not sure about the press fit thing. All of mine have been threaded with the exception of the ones that never got drilled in the first place.

WVHillbilly520H

On your "0" volts showing on the gauge 1 or 2 things the gauge itself is bad and this can be verified by a multi-meter while running to see if it's actually charging and if not #2 the voltage regulator is bad (common problem) and needs to be changed first then if gauge still not registering replace that too, The voltage regulator is $10 eBay/Amazon and the gauge (2 1/16") $20 at an auto parts store, and as for the wiring down load the demystification guide with the wiring diagrams for your year model# 520 if the PO didn't have the owner's/operators manual also down loadable here too, and become a supporter it helps keep the lights on here as well as the ability to upload pictures for us to help you out when needed,  Jeff.

IMAG2028.jpg

IMAG2103.jpg

Paul Van Benschoten

MalMac: I removed the block and cleaned the dried grease. Now i can pump fres grease in. The zirc connector did not have hex area to get a wrench on so I assume it is not threaded.

WVHillbilly520H: thanks for the pointers. I did get those manuals and i have been browsing them. I had found the voltage regulator. I read 14 volts at the battery when the motor is running. I will look at the meter after i check out the wiring.

Paul Van Benschoten
On 6/15/2017 at 5:53 PM, benji756 said:

what I did was take a pair of vice grips or channel loc pliers and squeezed the rivet where the lever pivots

The vise grips worked for me, at least temporally. I was able to mow the lawn without having to hold the throttle up.

• Like 2