WildHorses

Models not made by Wheel Horse

WildHorses

In the years prior to Toro what models of Wheel Horse tractors were not made by Wheel Horse? I know Dixie Chopper made the larger zero turn. I think I heard someone (maybe MTD) made some rear engine riders? I tried searching the forums but didn't pull up anything. This is all stemming from a Facebook conversation where a guy is claiming a 200 series wasn't made by Wheel Horse, which I know is of course not true. I'm just trying to find a definitive list of what wasn't made by them. 

• Like 2

nylyon

D-250 not made by Wheel Horse

E series (electrics) not made by Wheel Horse

• Like 6

Achto
19 minutes ago, nylyon said:

E series (electrics) not made by Wheel Horse

I know that some of the E series were GE's, but what about the E141. It has all of the body work of a black hood :wh:. Was this model also out sourced?

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

WildHorses

Who did make the D-250 then? 

I thought some of the E-series were made by Wheel Horse and some were made by GE... I've heard conflicting reports on the "GE made" units that Wheel Horse made the metal/frames and shipped them to GE to finish. Hopefully someone can chime in with some experience. 

• Like 2

nylyon

Not sure about all E's but the D-250 was made by Gutbrod of Germany

• Like 4

WildHorses

Interesting. Is there a Gutbrod that is similar to a D-250?

346-td3serial.jpg

• Like 3

Tankman

Google Gutbrod, lots of garden tractors. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

evanloock

E-141 was made by Wheel Horse as were the electric rear engine riders.  The other electric Wheel Horse models were just GE Electraks painted red.

• Like 2

fast88pu
17 hours ago, WildHorses said:

In the years prior to Toro what models of Wheel Horse tractors were not made by Wheel Horse? I know Dixie Chopper made the larger zero turn. I think I heard someone (maybe MTD) made some rear engine riders? I tried searching the forums but didn't pull up anything. This is all stemming from a Facebook conversation where a guy is claiming a 200 series wasn't made by Wheel Horse, which I know is of course not true. I'm just trying to find a definitive list of what wasn't made by them. 

The wheel horse zero turns were not made by Dixie chopper. They were made by magic circle who also made Dixie chopper. That is why they look the same. Just like the 520s 60" deck is the same deck found on a Dixie zero turn

T-Mo

From what Steve @wh500special, told me, the 60 inch deck on the D-250 was made by John Deere, and is a modified John Deere 400 60 inch deck.  Also, from the things I've read here, the decks for the C-195 were made by Ariens, I believe.

• Like 1

WildHorses
On 6/16/2017 at 9:51 AM, fast88pu said:

The wheel horse zero turns were not made by Dixie chopper. They were made by magic circle who also made Dixie chopper. That is why they look the same. Just like the 520s 60" deck is the same deck found on a Dixie zero turn

Now we're just getting into semantics.

ericj
On 6/15/2017 at 3:57 PM, WildHorses said:

was it Dixie chopper ? i thought it was Dixon ztr's maybe one in the same ? around here the old wheel horse z turns look just like  the dixon z turn mowers

eric j

WildHorses

The 724Z was made by Dixie Chopper, the 616Z was made by Wheel Horse from what I've heard. There were none made by Dixon as far as I'm aware. I think the Dixie Chopper and 724Z is pretty easy to see if you compare some of the early Dixie Choppers to the 724-Z. 

616Z-3.jpg

616Z-2.jpg

616Z.jpg

dixon2.jpg

Dixon.jpg

dixie chopper.jpg

724Z.JPG

724Z-2.JPG

• Like 2

stratostar250

The D-250 is the same as the Gutbrod 2500.  I noticed in the original post you mentioned rear engine riders, and those are probably referring to REO tractors in the 60's when :wh: bought REO.  

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower
On 2017-6-15 at 9:57 PM, WildHorses said:

one of the 200 series was also used by viking, but i think wheel horse stil made em

30072011843.jpg

• Like 2

ericj
9 hours ago, WildHorses said:

The 724Z was made by Dixie Chopper, the 616Z was made by Wheel Horse from what I've heard. There were none made by Dixon as far as I'm aware. I think the Dixie Chopper and 724Z is pretty easy to see if you compare some of the early Dixie Choppers to the 724-Z. 

616Z-3.jpg

616Z-2.jpg

616Z.jpg

dixon2.jpg

Dixon.jpg

dixie chopper.jpg

724Z.JPG

724Z-2.JPG

I wish my 616 looked that good, you learn something new everyday, I swear I've seen Dixons that looked just like the 616. But there is no denial about the 724Z. that is the one I would like to find

eric j 

WildHorses
8 hours ago, C-101plowerpower said:

one of the 200 series was also used by viking, but i think wheel horse stil made em

Very interesting, I did a quick web search on these and found a quote (sourced by Glen Pettit lol) from Ed Cole about them.

"Jason,

Just happened to be online when you email came.  Wheel Horse built this tractor in the South Bend plant, as they were made in late 80's.  Other than color, identical to  a "red" 211-5 built for the International market.  I believe they were made for what we would call a home center - may have been marketed in France, not Germany, but I could be mistaken.  Only one run made, I am sure; probably only a couple hundred units, if that.

Ed Cole"

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/35092-twin-green-wheel-horses-in-germany/