ohiofarmer

Best penetrating oil ever?

ohiofarmer

http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=612

I am not really sure, All i can say is that i sprayed some on the underside of a mower deck from the sixties, with aluminum blade towers, and all of the bolts came out without breaking. The oil sat there for six months and it never dried out. The threads in the aluminum spindle did not gall and came out bright.. The only trick I used was to grind the leading edge of the six point socket flat so the bolt would not round off. Steady pressure on the breaker bar and off it came Any time I buy something old it is common practice for me to put penetrant on the nuts and bolts before i throw it under the bench for repair later

IMO, the stuff beats Kroil and also Freeze-Off which I consider to be excellent products. You do not need to use as much product either. Your opinion is welcome as i am always looking for the best oil I can find with price not being that important.

BG is only supposed to be available from retailers like gas stations, but I know a distributor who can get it for me for about ten bucks a can, and cheaper if I buy a case of 12

• Like 2

6bg6ga

Years ago when I was young and in my prime I worked 3rd shift at a factory. I got off at 7:00 AM and went and drove a school bus route and soon that expanded into me working 1/2 day in the bus garage. This will sound very funny but one day I had a bolt that was rusted and I couldn't remove. The same day a salesman came thru I don't remember what he was selling now but he told me to spray water on the bolt. I sprayed water using a spray bottle and let it set 5 minutes and was able to remove the stuck bolt. I never forgot that. Prior I had used a number of penetrating sprays which none ever worked as good for me as straight water did. Water seems to work well on steel bolts and to this date I've never had anything that really worked for me on aluminum bolts that were  seized. I'm open to try anything.

oldredrider

I've been using BG for over a year now. Have not found anything it can't tackle. For years Kroil was my go-to penentrant. BG puts it to shame and Kroil is on the back of the shelf.

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:     There was a thread on that about a year ago, got mine at NAPA, well worth it.

• Like 2

R. L. Addison

I used "Gibbs" and had good success with it.

SPINJIM

I'll try it on a steering wheel roll pin.   If it works on that , it will work on anything.

Jim

• Like 4

W9JAB

Best penetrating oil ever?

The salesman comes up to the Farmer, and starts giving him the

pitch on how good his penetrating oil is.

The Farmer listen patiently to the salesman, then asked,

If it's that good, how do you keep it in the can?:ROTF:

• Like 3

Uncle Buck
3 hours ago, oldredrider said:

I've been using BG for over a year now. Have not found anything it can't tackle. For years Kroil was my go-to penentrant. BG puts it to shame and Kroil is on the back of the shelf.

What the heck is BG? never heard of it. Kroil then PB Blaster are about all I am familiar with. Interested in hearing about BG though.

pfrederi

In   addition to WH I work on old farm tractors that have sat outside their entire lives (talk about rust issues.)  Over the years i have tried PB Blaster (smells awful). Kroil, Liquid Wrench,  ATF and a variety of home made witches brew.  also candle wax (never worked for me). None of them work every time usually have to add heat.  I bought a can of the BG stuff and it has worked on a couple small items but no real hard test yet.

• Like 1

clueless

A couple of years ago I asked my local mechanic if I could bring him a idler pulley that I couldn't break the bolt holding it on the bracket loose. I had been soaking it off and on for two weeks with PB blaster with no luck, wanted him to put some heat to it. He handed me a used can of the BG stuff and said try this. Shot some on the nut, next day shot it again, third day put the wrench on it, gave it a pull, :handgestures-thumbupright: been using ever since. 

• Like 2

Buzz

I have to agree that this is the best stuff I've ever used. I belong to the South Jersey Gas Engine Club and our members use it on old tractors, stationary engines, hit and miss, and whatever. They all swear by it.

• Like 1

oldredrider

One other "plus" for BG In-FORCE, it doesn't have an odor like PB Blaster or Kroil. Really no smell at all.

ohiofarmer

Thanks for your responses. I will add to the discussion by saying that this product http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CRC2/05002/N1737.oap?ck=Search_penetrating+oil_-1_1966&keyword=penetrating+oil&showStores=true#availabilityTab_

works on a couple of things like no other.

If you have ever encountered a slide carburetor like a Mikiuni on a motorcycle and the slide is stuck with gasoline varnish, there is a way out. Lacquer thinner will dissolve gas varnish if it is from non-ethanol variety, but the diaphragm on those carbs is very sensitive to lacquer thinner or even the fumes from it. There are many witches brews for carb work including Pine-Sol, but they turn the aluminum dark.

Freeze-off is the stuff to use to dissolve the crud and it adds lube so the metal will slide again. When you spray it on, bubbles will emerge for up to an hour. That tells me there is some sort of chemical reaction occurring and eventually, with repeated applications, the thing will become unstuck. Freeze-off also works on steel/aluminum,case screws, but you need to keep putting it on every day or so for a week. Anyway., i think the wheel Horse community will benefit from using Freeze-off on carb work.

But now i think that the BG will be my go-to stuff for case screws and the steel-to-aluminum stuff

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

6bg6ga

I don't think there is any "One Best" solvent/cleaner/penetrating oil.  Each seems to work good for specific needs. I'm old with old school ideas and I'm a lacquer thinner guy when it comes to carbs. Prior to using it I know I need to strip the unit of its plastic float for example and its gaskets. I know when I'm done with cleaning a carb in lacquer thinner its going to be kit time. Freeze off for me isn't an option for I know that in my collection of cleaners, solvents, and penetrating oils I have a secret mixture that works with one application and works well.

ohiofarmer

The carb i was referring to was so frozen that the slide and diaphragm was frozen in place. Of course one should strip everything out if it is possible, but sometimes it is not.... I am with you on the lacquer thinner as the first choice. From the smell of it, Sea Foam and Berryman's have a great deal of lacquer thinner in them.

I wish we could all share our secrets, but I understand that if you are making a living with a hard won secret that it is your choice whether or not to share.

rmaynard
22 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

What the heck is BG? never heard of it...

Click on the link in the original post. 

• Like 1

SPINJIM

I contacted my local NAPA dealer.  They never heard of BG In-force, and couldn't find it in their computer.   They're usually good at find obscure parts for me.   So I ordered it on ebay.    For $24 for a 15 oz. can,  It better work.    I'll let you know the results on a steering wheel roll pin.

Jim

Uncle Buck
50 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Click on the link in the original post. 

Thank you!

ohiofarmer
21 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

I contacted my local NAPA dealer.  They never heard of BG In-force, and couldn't find it in their computer.   They're usually good at find obscure parts for me.   So I ordered it on ebay.    For $24 for a 15 oz. can,  It better work.    I'll let you know the results on a steering wheel roll pin.

Jim

Sometimes their computer is not as good as yours. For example, the Freeze-off used to be stocked at O'reilles. i had some gift cards i wanted to redeem for the Freeze-off and they could not find it on their computer. i used the computer at home and found the O'Reilles stock number for them and then they found it and ordered some in.

If i was coming to the show, I would buy a case of the stuff at 7.50 a can to share with you guys. If someone from Southwest Ohio is going, maybe I could have him take orders and deliver it..

Here is an ionteresting link in case you want to remove a broken steel bolt from an aluminum spindle or a broken tap from an aluminum block.http://www.dansmc.com/acid.htm