artfull dodger

For those wanting an air cooled diesel to repower with

artfull dodger

There are a couple different dealers selling surplus ex military genset Yanmar L70AE engines on ebay.  These are variable speed, tapered output shaft( adapters to 1" and 1 1/8th are on ebay as well).  They have 24vt starters and duel intake grid heaters.  You can also find 12vdc starters there.  Even with replacing the starter and the shaft adapter, your well under what that engine retailed for new, and less than the clone!   These are 6.5hp, so equil to a 7-10hp  gas engine in the power dept.  I am putting one in my Commando 8.   One dealer has 100 of them to sell.  No muffler but the one on the engine normaly fouls the underhood fuel tank on the tractor anyways.   Just a heads up as these can be hard to come by, espically genuine Yanmar.      Mike

yanmar_zpsxdeqxqxz.jpg

s-l1600%207_zps6mskweli.jpg

• Like 4

DennisThornton

Neat!  Google "Yanmar L70AE"  for lots of info.

Here's one under $500 shipped but sort of a "pig in a poke", take your chances!

"Listing is for one Yanmar L70 diesel engine.  The pics are representative of what you will receive.  They have a 24V starter, tapered output shaft, preheaters, air filter.   They are mostly complete based on external inspection, rotate 360 degrees, and have compression.  Most of the engines do not have the recoil starter assembly because they have the electric start option.  Although these are used engines, they appear to be in decent condition. We don't know internal condition or if they run.  Please know that we can't guarantee if they run.  Units picked out randomly, sold as is. "

Thanks!

classicdmax

Needs a small turbo!

dwcphoto

Has anyone purchased and run one of these? $500 is a lot to risk on a maybe. What's the new model / clone that would do the same job? thank you, dwc

artfull dodger

I got mine for just over 400 shipped to my door.  You can keep the clones.  Seen more issues with long term durablity from those that can be had these days.  BIG roll of the dice as some clones are decent, others are total trash and fail quickly.  Just depends which factory made it and many factories produce for the same importer.  So its a total crap shot.  These little Yanmars are from Military surplus, most have little use on them.  Haven't really heard of any being totaly doa.  Watch the sellers on ebay carefully, some do test run them, others do not.  I would roll the dice on a genuine Yanmar over a clone any day.  Parts are easy to find and you know the core parts such as block, crankshaft, rod and bearings are of good quality.  Something that is severely lacking in most of the clones.  I have seen reports of cam bearings going bad, cam lobs wearing flat(cam not hardened properly), loss of compression due to cylinder walls quickly wearing ect (this is on clones not Genuine Yanmar).  The cost of one of these new will make you take a step back and rethink why the clone is $600 and the real thing is over $3000!  Makes teh $500 or less for a surplus engine a bargain IMHO   BTW, absolutly no issues with mine.  Been putting 5-6 hours a week cutting grass on her since finishing the project.   Only change has been a nicer muffler set up as I found a better muffler to rig up over the original set up I made.     All the parts needed to make one ready for tractor duty is on ebay.  They are: 12vt starter, taper shaft to keyed shaft adaptor(1 in shaft for this model of Horse), stator charging kit with voltage regulator and a muffler of your choice.  If the engine had beem missing the recoil unit, they are on there as well. But mine had it.   Mike

20170901_175453.jpg

20170826_122914.jpg

Edited by artfull dodger
  • Thanks 2

dwcphoto

Looks really nice. I have a 518H with a 520 rear I installed after the original hydro went soft.  I have just over 500 hours on my onan, so I should have a few years left in it. These diesel conversions look interesting to me. Thank you for this post. Best, dwc

artfull dodger

This engine would be a tad small for the big 520h.  Do keep in mind that you CANNOT use the WH style clutch on these.  The crankshaft PTO end bearing is not designed to be "end loaded", which is what that clutch does when it is disengaged.  You would have to use an electric PTO clutch on that style of Horse.   She gets lots of attention at shows as at idle, she sounds much like a Kohler with a horrible rod knock.  So unless they catch a wiff of the exhaust, they look at it like its gonna blow up.  I either goose the throttle and roll some coal, or stop and open the hood.  Many do not even realize these little diesels are around.  She is extremely fuel effecient and if the battery goes flat, a quick pull of the rope fires her right up.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

dwcphoto

Beauty, thanks! dwc

Sarge

I almost get excited if I use a compactor or other equipment at work that has a Yanmar diesel on it - I prefer them over the Honda gassers any day since they don't work nearly as hard and use raw torque to do the job . Most times , the diesel powered stuff is quieter and much smoother - I'd love to score the twin cylinder one found on some of the bigger hydra packers , not sure what the hp rating is but it's one sweet engine that has the nicest sound at idle a guy could want . When you throttle that thing up - hang on for dear life - it's an animal .

Sarge

Skipper

Dos anyone have actual experience with the clones? I hear only people talking about what they have heard from a neighbors cousin.

It would be cool with some real intel, and not just hearsay.

My point is, that these clones are sitting in a great big number of genset's, pumps etc. If they are that bad, I would imagine there would be more hands on reports of it?

I'm not trying so say they are good. I just do not know, and I have been thinking about swapping the big twin diesel clone in for a long time, but again, I have found absolutely zero first hand reviews.

It's an engine like this I'm contemplating: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/25-Hp-Runsun-Diesel-Engine-Air_50019609195.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.297.c4e09acytmJtd

So if anyone has first hand intel, please enlighten us :-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

CasualObserver
35 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Dos anyone have actual experience with the clones? I hear only people talking about what they have heard from a neighbors cousin.

It would be cool with some real intel, and not just hearsay.

We had a member here go through one in detail a few years back in this topic... unfortunately it looks like all the pics in it are being held hostage by photobucket. Still a good read.

@sorekiwi can you update on that diesel?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

I have thought about this twin for a 520 diesel conversion , before all the nay sayers, a Briggs or Honda replacement would be about the same price, and this engine has an 1 1/8" shaft and probably won't ever run out of torque, Jeff.  

Screenshot_20170921-191049.png

• Like 1

artfull dodger

I would just make sure you can "end load" the PTO bearing on that Vtwin diesel.  The Yanmar engines that the single cylinders are cloned from cannot handle the end load that is applied to the crankshaft when the Wheelhorse PTO clutch is disengaged.  Of coarse, you can go over to a electric PTO clutch and solve that problem.   I do not know anybody that has taken the chance on that V twin diesel yet.  The singles are hit and miss.  Carroll Stream Motors out of Michigan seems to have about the best reputation in the USA for quality on thier clones.  They also have the "Chonda" clone gas engines(Honda clones). The biggest thing is to first drain any crankcase oil out that is in them, then only run them a few min at idle after filling with oil, and change it again and flush the oil pickup screen if so equipted(some have this feature).  Getting any remaining debris out of the crankcase is key to giving them a fighting chance.  I had two of the Carroll Stream 4.5hp diesels(no longer imported due to EPA regs) and both ran fine after dealing with a few minor fuel leaks/loose fittings.  One is in a RS members round hood somewhere in northern Indiana.  I chose to go with a genuine(which I have less $$ in than a clone) as my horse at that time was a worker and source of income. Potentially throwing away a bit over 500 bucks on a clone that might or might not live more than a few hours while cutting grass was not an option. Mike

• Like 1

sorekiwi

Late to this thread, life has been crazy for me this year and I havent been here much.

My clone pics are here:  http://s270.photobucket.com/user/Sorekiwi/library/Tractor/Diesel?sort=3&page=1

hopefully the link will work, this whole photobucket scam pisses me off.

My experience with the diesel has been interesting.  I am not hugely impressed with it.  I wouldnt want to have spent a whole bunch of money on it.

My electric starter has been problematic.  It has had a tendency to eat solenoids, even a genuine Hitachi one, I guess there is something deeper in the starter causing the contacts in the starter to die.  One day I will get around to looking at this.

The motor is noisy.  I need an even bigger muffler.

It is good on fuel.

I would actually prefer to mow with a 20 hp Onan.  More power, less noise, smoother, no black smoke.

Personally, I wouldnt do it again.  I think if I wanted to (relatively) cheaply repower a 3,4,500 series tractor I would go for a 16hp Kohler if I couldnt find a decent Onan.  But its been a fun exercise.