howell1000

powder coat or paint

howell1000

What is the pros and cons of powder coat and paint  when restoring a wheel horse besides the price   what do you guys think is best way to go???  thanks

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

Cost is an obvious con. A huge pro is the durability of powder coat as I am sure you already know. I would likely be tempted to go a cheaper route such as using a regular tractor type enamel such as those sold at Tractor Supply and add hardener to the paint. Assuming the steel is prepped good you get good durability at substantially less cost. There is no denying that powder coat is the better but costlier option.

But what can I say, I am cheap! LOL 

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

This topic has been talked about, I myself bought it up when refreshing my 854. I decided to paint, its what worked for me. powder coat chipping was a negative regarding how to touch up, and cost.. Plus I wanted to do the paint. Do a site search here, you can do plenty of reading with many opinions on the subject. best of luck.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 1

Molon_Labe

Powder coat is absolutely beautiful... until moisture leeches under the tiniest chip, then it peels off in sheets and leaves rust pitting. I have had much better luck with plain old enamel paint.

RedRanger
5 minutes ago, Molon_Labe said:

Powder coat is absolutely beautiful... until moisture leeches under the tiniest chip, then it peels off in sheets and leaves rust pitting. I have had much better luck with plain old enamel paint.

Sounds like a prep issue to me.  I've not had any powder coat peel or rust underneath.

As for appearance, paint lays out much more smooth if you're going for a show look.

"D"- Man

Here is a couple pics of the 18 Automatic frame I had powder-coated with 2 mills thick powder in gloss black.  I am finishing the rest in rattle can.  What I have done so far if it gets bumped it is almost certain to chip because there is no hardener in the paint.  You can click on the image to enlarge.

Edited by "D"- Man

howell1000

thanks guys for input   i have seen vids of powder coat they bend the sheet of metal and it stays intact no cracks or anything   how does it hold up on engine block