ohiofarmer

My buddy has a lot with a primitive camp that he stays at while visiting his family. I was having issues with my mowers in limited capability with the Raider 10 with a broken hub and bad keyway. With a substitute transmission installed, we had at the tall orchard grass with the Raider and 42" deck. The pictures do not show it, but the grass averaged the height of the hood with some sunny spots a foot over the hood. Pictures do not do it justice. The first pass was with the lift handle all the way up--maybe 70% of the grass was cut. We felt our way along and were able to go over the top of 2" limbs booby trapped into the grass. Then we discarded the big limbs and hit it the second time shown in the over the hood picture..  The third pass and it was about two inches high.I did keep the cutting width down to two blades to keep the grass throwing clear

i have my doubts that a later model Horse with its longer deck drive belt would have survived the abuse, but the mid mount belt is much shorter with less tendency to stretch. i mowed in second gear low range most of the time with first gear high range at the end. No issues. I let the Kohler talk to me and just kept the ground speed slow enough to avoid much load at all.

What a machine!

001.jpg

002.jpg

• Like 8

Racinbob

Very cool! But no worries about the later models. I've tackled much worse with the 'longer' belts assuming you mean with the front mule drive. A new belt will 'settle' itself in a bit but stretching isn't an issue. :)

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

Very cool! But no worries about the later models. I've tackled much worse with the 'longer' belts assuming you mean with the front mule drive. A new belt will 'settle' itself in a bit but stretching isn't an issue. :)

Maybe the deck on my 520 (48" vs 42" on the Raider] just is not set up correctly. It just seems not to clear the grass as well.

In contrast, I got behind on the farmhouse lot and 6" of grass and some clover had the Huskee 54" deck plugging up with the 26 HP just drinking fuel like crazy. Any of my Horses beat the big box stuff.

Racinbob

That's possible. I use both a 42" and 48" and they both work equally well. The first thing that comes to mind is if your deck blades are leveled properly. The leading edge should be 1/8-1/4" lower than the rear. :)