formariz

Do front wheels really need to be greased?

formariz

I have been changing front bearings to sealed bearings on my tractors since the greasing of them always creates a mess, takes lots of grease and Grand kids are always getting grease on their legs. With these bearings I see no reason for grease. I am wondering what are others opinion on this?

• Like 4

JPWH

If the tractors are not exposed to extreme dust or water then the sealed bearing should be fine.

• Like 5

Racinbob

I'd say go for it. I use sealed bearings on my non-workers and last summer I put them on one of my workers to see how they would last. So far so good. :)

• Like 7

squonk

We sure aren't talkin any high speed action. And your right, the grease makes a mess. Keep your eyes on them and if one starts squeaking grease it or just pop it out and replace it. you can find them just about anywhere.

• Like 6

clueless
10 minutes ago, rick said:

Go with it, just keep a little grease on the axle to keep corrosion at bay.

:text-yeahthat:If it's a tractor that I use, I put sealed bearing on it, not the cheapest ones, but not the most expensive either. I still pack a little bearing grease in them before installing them. Less maintenance, and less mess:handgestures-thumbupright:. Got a 25 year old JD GT, between the PO and me over 900hr on original front bearings. Last year pulled the front wheels to put new tires on, bearings look good with no play, axles looked good also. I think the dust caps help a lot.     

i

• Like 6

857 horse

Squonk,,,,,you show me set of sealed bearings,,,,,,,,i will buy a set,,,,,!!!!!!

• Like 1

formariz
20 minutes ago, 857 horse said:

Squonk,,,,,you show me set of sealed bearings,,,,,,,,i will buy a set,,,,,!!!!!!

Just an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Sealed-Wheel-Bearings-Toro-Wheel-Horse-Garden-Lawn-Tractor-110513-25-1210-/271993019474?hash=item3f540c1c52:g:6aMAAOSwJ7RYW-wb

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I like the sealed bearing swap out.

Glenn

• Like 3

squonk
1 hour ago, 857 horse said:

HHHOOWWWAAARRRDDD!!! I will buy a pair of cheapies at $ 2.99 ea. Seal them up in one those vacuum baggie things my wife uses for veggies and sell them to you for $32.50 ! :)

• Like 8

oldredrider

HOWWAAAARRRRRD!!!!!! I'll cut you a better deal! How about 4 of them (enough for BOTH front wheels, in a zip lock baggie for only $19.99!!!

But wait! There's more!!! I'll deliver to you at the Big Show!! (limited time only...must call in the next 5 minutes).

• Like 9

W9JAB

HHHOOWWWAAARRRDDD!!! I will buy a pair of cheapies at $ 2.99 ea. Seal them up in one those vacuum baggie things my wife uses for veggies and sell them to you for $32.50 ! :)

HOWWAAAARRRRRD!!!!!! I'll cut you a better deal! How about 4 of them (enough for BOTH front wheels, in a zip lock baggie for only $19.99!!!

But wait! There's more!!! I'll deliver to you at the Big Show!! (limited time only...must call in the next 5 minutes).

The Free Market

Entrepreneurs

• Like 3

Tgtack

On sale for $9.85 with free shipping, 11 left. Just ordered a set.

• Like 5

KC9KAS

You know, the idea behind sealed bearings is the fact they are "pre-greased" and the seals keep out the dirt.

Granted, if you are in a lot of dirt/mud you may need to check/repair/replace those sealed bearings.

• Like 5

jay bee

IMG_0470.JPG.934999ca06cb4179400c13cbee85714e.JPG

Cas, did you have the sealed bearings on this one???

Jim

Edited by jay bee
Duplicate entry
  • Like 3

857 horse

So,,,,,,,,,,,here I sit,,,between a Squonk and a Paul spot,,,,,,,,Thank you guys for finding these,,,,,,,never knew !!!!!!!

Little over 2 weeks.ta go....and a little over 90 today....

I'm gonna try and have the pole up early,,,,,if we run out of space,,,,,We may need 2 next year,,,,lolololo

Just stay focused,,,,,keep your bearing and your GPS,,    lolol

• Like 2

formariz
48 minutes ago, jay bee said:

IMG_0470.JPG.934999ca06cb4179400c13cbee85714e.JPG

Cas, did you have the sealed bearings on this one???

Jim

No, that is still from the greasy days.

• Like 4

Racinbob
4 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

You know, the idea behind sealed bearings is the fact they are "pre-greased" and the seals keep out the dirt.

Granted, if you are in a lot of dirt/mud you may need to check/repair/replace those sealed bearings.

Perzackly. I'm kinda thinking that the unsealed ones will be adversely affected by the dust/dirt/mud just as easily. Maybe even easier. That accounts for my experiment using sealed bearings in a hard worker. :)

4 hours ago, Tgtack said:

On sale for $9.85 with free shipping, 11 left. Just ordered a set.

What got me thinking on this was when I found quality bearings for about $3.00 each in bulk. I'd suggest shying away from the ones with the stamped steel 'bodies'. If that price is for a set of 4 decent bearings you did good. It's important to keep tabs an things. Once there is noticeable wear replace them before they start damaging your spindles.:)

• Like 2

doc724

First, I am a believer in bearings sealed both sides and getting rid of the zerk fittings.  Why....?  because it is too easy to pump in too much grease and then you pop off the seal and now you have a big problem

Second, once you get water (and dirt) into the bearings, the balls rust and before you know it  the inner race of the bearing does not rotate on the balls but rather on the spindle  which results in the ubiquitous grooves on the underside of the spindle

The next time you remove a bearing from a front wheel, clean it out real good.  Blow out the balls and race with compressed air.  Slip the clean bearing over your finger and turn the outer race with your other hand.  Do it slowly enough and you can feel the bearing being snagged.  I have done this with many bearings hoping to reuse them (being the cheap yankee that I can be).  I throw out most of them afterward.

• Like 2