Sparky

Trailer talk....

JPWH

They do mass production but also will custom build. After looking at several of their trailers I found out that the axles were typically at 7 ft center but the salesman just asked to move the axle a ft forward. I will be dealing with another salesman when I place my order.

DennisThornton

Work bought an alum single axle 4x8 just for transporting riders and I love it because it's so easy to maneuver by hand.  Of course you loose that feature with a bigger tandem but I'd still prefer aluminum.  No rust and they just look better to me. 

Sarge

There are some drawbacks to aluminum trailers - most of which are the condition of the roads in the US from a lack of keeping them upgraded over the last 20yrs . Aluminum cracks pretty easily , so buy nothing less than a top quality built trailer that is proven to take abuse . I've scrapped out so many versions that were built far too light to take the punishment from rough highways and high speeds around here it's disgusting , especially snowmobile trailers and utility versions . Be warned , all bolt points will corrode from the galvanic corrosion of steel against aluminum - especially at the suspension points . It's not a bad idea to remove bolts you can access safely and give them a really liberal coating of aluminum-specific anti-seize - it will save the associated parts in the long run . The more miles you put on these things the more you need to take the time to inspect for cracking and failed welds - most builders are using high powered dc mig wire feeders and throwing down heavy beads on aluminum - with welders that are not totally versed in proper setup and penetration . It's so common to see welds just laying on top of a joint and barely penetrated - have seen some beads literally fall off over time and flexing .Same with steel trailers - most builders hire guys to run the mig guns , not fully qualified welders - hence the lower prices .

Those large aluminum ramp gates are a huge sail - many trucks will struggle to pull it at highway speed due to the air drag on that gate . Think it doesn't make a difference ? Remove the gate once and take a ride...lol . Also , be wary of tie down points and how they are built - talk to an experienced aluminum welder/fabricator and they can look at even a picture and tell if the load anchor points can fail easily - most are not designed correctly or are not welded properly . Seen a lot of load straps come loose on our highways as a result - have had a couple nearly take my head off when they go by our work sites in the Interstates around here ...

For Bob - those Tacoma rear springs have been a known issue - I traded off my gas drinking V6 TRD Off Road Taco for a full-size half ton Hemi that easily gets better tank averages and can actually haul something in the bed without dragging the rear bumper . Mine was one of the cutoff models and Toyota would not replace the springs - so it went away . If you want to keep the truck - look into Wheeler Off Road's HD rear springs , they will bring it up slightly in the rear but make a huge difference in it's capabilities and are proven to ride better than the stock springs . Not a hard swap and worth the effort - I did a set for a local guy and somewhat regret getting rid of the truck but love the newer full size so it's a wash . Mine would literally hit the bump stops with 300lbs in the bed , that's not acceptable so it got traded and my attitude towards Toyota to say the least is not too good .

Anyhow , need to get my butt out there in the heat and fix the whole nose of my steel 6.5x12 from when the tongue failed and twisted when it was sitting on the jack loaded - failed design and lack of proper material . I can fix that easily...lol .

5981d626ba84b_20170801_1605071.jpg.1f7f368775a25eac2c4439bb31307079.jpg

5981d6547eed6_20170801_1605301.jpg.dc7a00c0e1fff94657db9d4cc674b752.jpg

Sarge

• Like 3

Jim Demery

I got this 16'x 7' trailer for  $600. I don't use it alot but I can haul 5 garden tractors at a time on it so it saves me alot of time trying to get them all to the show. It's super heavy duty for not being a huge trailer. 

20170602_111348.jpg

20170602_111406.jpg

• Like 2

EricF
On 6/11/2017 at 3:14 PM, mmmmmdonuts said:

I agree about the deck. They are extremely slippery when wet. The other thing I don't like is if something breaks or you want to weld something on (d ring) it is much more challenging to weld aluminum than it is steel.

While it adds some weight, a deck made from pressure-treated wood slats or sheet has some advantages on an aluminum trailer. Easier to replace if it gets gouged, easy to paint with a non-slip coating for safety and to keep cargo in place. Aluminum gouges up easily and leaves sharp edges to cut you our your cargo later, so some wood on wear surfaces really helps.

:ranting: Bad welds! I've seen welds crack or pop off on steel trailers, too. Something tells me trailer manufacturers don't want to pay the wages of a skilled welder. Although I've seen some trailers damaged when the load was clearly uneven and put way too much stress in one area -- even good welds won't hold if they're abused.

All that said, I just picked up an enclosed aluminum 6'x12'last week. It's mostly for my wife's business, to use hauling yarns and knitting supplies to craft and fiber fairs, so it's not going to haul a lot of weight most of the time. But we got it with an eye to being able to haul equipment and building supplies sometimes, too. Most of the time for that, I've got a steel 4'x8' trailer that I bought as a rolling frame from Tractor Supply years ago, and decked myself with pressure-treated plywood and built-up wood stake sides. That thing has seen some heavy loads over the years, and keeps coming back for more. It's all in how you distribute the load to keep it safe and not over-stress the trailer frame and tongue.

Sparky

Well it's been awhile and the trailer hunt was put on hold most of the summer and fall. A month ago I started back into looking and learning. As much as I liked the aluminum units they all had weak side rail systems. This summer I threw a strap around the end rail on my Big-Tex trailer and with a come-along dragged a C-141 with a loader onto my trailer. No aluminum trailer I looked at could have handled that. The rails would have been destroyed!

So I focused on steel trailers again and every trailer I looked at was not up to the standards of the Big -Tex trailers. The big box store trailers are visibly cheaper and the way the gate is locked into place didn't impress me. So I bought a brand new 12 X 6.5 Big-Tex. 

Yes it's heavier than an aluminum trailer but my HEMI powered Dodge has always pulled it effortlessly. And of course going steel saved me $1000 plus!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Nice beefy trailers...

always liked them best too. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Congrats on your new :wh: hauler. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

When I had to go to Connecticut to pickup my D200 with FEL I knew it wouldn't fit in my GMC Sonoma.  Rented one of these picked up in the morning got home and dropped it off that evening.  i could do that frequently and for $25/day and not have the hassle of storing, registering, and insuring a trailer that I might use how many times per year???

trailer.JPG

• Like 5

Sparky
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

When I had to go to Connecticut to pickup my D200 with FEL I knew it wouldn't fit in my GMC Sonoma.  Rented one of these picked up in the morning got home and dropped it off that evening.  i could do that frequently and for $25/day and not have the hassle of storing, registering, and insuring a trailer that I might use how many times per year???

trailer.JPG

Storage is not a hassle and we don't insure utility trailers so no issue there. I use mine probably 15 times a year and not just for tractor hauling, plus it's nice to have it ready to go...just drop it on the ball and I can be on the road in less than 3 minutes. 

I do live in Ct. and if your not fast the other Wheel Horse vultures will beat ya to the deals ! :ychain:

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Sooo true that! 

Related image

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

wallfish

That's a nice one Mike. Wonder if it can handle towing a 416 FEL / Backhoe to Gettsburg? Only one way to find out!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Sparky
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

That's a nice one Mike. Wonder if it can handle towing a 416 FEL / Backhoe to Gettsburg? Only one way to find out!

Sign over the title and I’ll haul it (somewhere)

• Haha 3

wallfish

HA!

How heavy is that gate?

Are the side rail tubes big enough for garage door springs? You could rig up a lift assist with some springs, wire rope and some pulleys.

• Like 3

Sparky
42 minutes ago, wallfish said:

HA!

How heavy is that gate?

Are the side rail tubes big enough for garage door springs? You could rig up a lift assist with some springs, wire rope and some pulleys.

Ummm...what you sayin?? Calling me old and shot 🤣! I can lift the gate all by myself pal. 

:ychain:

• Haha 2

stevebo

Congrats Mike. You will like it I am sure. The round top rail will save many straps from breaking. I was very close to buying a big tex but went with the PJ because they seemed a little stronger and they are powdercoated. 

• Like 1

Sparky

No PJ dealers near me Steve. I see them on Craigslist all the time but they are in New Jersey.

stevebo

None close to me. I had to go to Farmington Valley for mine. I went with 7x14 single axle. I had it loaded up to the limit and well beyond. Hope to have two seniors and one more rider going to the big show this year. 

• Excellent 2

shallowwatersailor

A little more about aluminum trailers. I had a Gravely friend come to pickup the UFT Mountaineer I had. He had a single-axle steel Belmont originally but bought an aluminum tandem about three years ago. I don't know what brand but it is a nice tandem axle probably about 6.5'x16'. After loading, he had to really struggle to lock it in place again. It has the bi-fold gate that somehow had gotten racked a few months ago. He didn't know what he did to bend it as Gravely walk behinds weigh less than Wheel Horses. I don't think that aluminum can be bent safely twice..

• Like 1